The Ripper's Intellect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ripper's Intellect

Hello all. I am new here, so please forgive me if this has been discussed. I did search for the topic but did not find any threads about it.

I was listening to the Rippercast in which Martin Fido was a guest and was intrigued by the descriptions of David Cohen in the insane asylum. It brought to mind a question: How intelligent was Jack the Ripper?

It seems to me that he is often portrayed as being at the least extremely cunning. Perhaps this is because he was never caught - at least not for the murders. But perhaps the conditions of Whitechapel at the time along with some luck allowed him to get away rather than any particular ability of his own.

So...what are your opinions? If there is already a thread, a link to it would be appreciated.
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

JTR probably had an IQ that put him in the top half percentile,ie 150 plus.

Comment

The fact that he was never caught depends on parts that the police did a bit of a sloppy work.
      Anyway in the murders (except MJK) we see that he must surgical knowledge.You gotta be intelligent for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lika View Post
        Anyway in the murders (except MJK) we see that he must surgical knowledge. You gotta be intelligent for that.
        Neither of those assertions is true.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi there Steely and welcome to the boards,

If the ability to learn something of anatomy, to learn efficient usage of a sharp knife, to learn most of the streets and lane connections within a single square mile, and to be discreet calls for above average intelligence, then I guess I would go along. But those do not seem to me to be extraordinary feats that would eliminate someone of limited intelligence either.

I do believe that the "cunning" and "clever" attributed to him by some pressmen and police gave off the impression that some sophisticated criminal mind, devious and clever was at work. Thats the main reason in my opinion a Toff has ever had any legs as a theory...that a Toff would be educated, and perhaps quite clever.

Its a grey area.....but, if he wasnt clever at all, merely lucky, he was indeed one of the most fortunate killers in history. The size of the manhunt and the total area he kills in make his encountering some vigilante group or police patrol at some point before or after a murder, almost inevitable.

Best regards.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2009, 03:25 AM.

Comment

I'm not convinced that JtR had any anatomical knowledge whatsoever. However, he was clever enough to put his victims at ease, even at the height of the panic; he was clever enough to commit the crimes in heavily- populated areas without being identified; and, he was clever enough to escape without leaving a trace. The guy was obviously no dummy.

Comment

Cleverness and Intellect don't always go together. If one has ever set out to catch a weasel, one would know this. They are sneaky and possess some sort of "spider sense", and are very, very difficult to catch in the act, but they have a low IQ. A guy who knew the area well and who spent a bit of time about the streets at odd hours would just know how to evade, I think. One week in Addis Ababa and I knew where not to go, or what I'd find there if I did, indeed go. I'm not saying that I'm a weasel exactly, so don't go there.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                Neither of those assertions is true.
                Astute reply.

Comment

I think Jack was just lucky.

It was relatively simple to get away with murder in those days due to the lack of forensics an' all that. As for his actual intelligence, it's impossible to know, but I think he could've ripped a woman on the streets within a 5 minute timeframe (maybe a minute or so longer for facial mutilations, et cetera); all he did [post-mortem] was slice open the belly, lift those pesky intestines out of the way, then cut out whatever took his fancy. Not exactly rocket science.

All he'd need is a strong stomach and to act quickly and somewhat cautiously as not to get caught with his trousers down, so to speak.

Comment

I believe the killer had an above average intelligence but was not necessarily educated.

Comment

It's London, late 1888. MEPO fights City of London, Home Office fights the Fenians, there's no way to differentiate between human and animal blood, there's a prevalent belief that the last image a person saw will show up in a photo of their eyes, Whitechapel is an overcrowded, unsanitary slum...and then comes Jack. Superman? No. Supersmart? No. Skilled doctor? No. Skilled at anything? Who knows? Smart enough not to get caught or just lucky. I think the latter.
                      http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

Hi Nothing to see,

The fact that he was able to get away at least 3 times in tight time frames and under high risk circumstances tells me that it wasn’t sheer luck that kept him on the streets. It suggests that he, at least to some extent, did in fact consciously influence that outcome. That doesn't mean he must have been particularly intelligent, though.

All the best,
                        Frank
                        "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                        Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Welcome to the boards by the way !
                          I feel JtR was cunning,very streetwise,knew the area extremely well,maybe had some kind of basic anatomical knowledge,either human or animal (to find the kidney past the membrane in the dark on Catherine Eddowes shows this),and maybe a charm with the 'ladies' to put them at ease.
                          But he wasn't necessarily intelligent - anybody can kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank van Oploo View Post
                            Hi Nothing to see,

The fact that he was able to get away at least 3 times in tight time frames and under high risk circumstances tells me that it wasn’t sheer luck that kept him on the streets. It suggests that he, at least to some extent, did in fact consciously influence that outcome. That doesn't mean he must have been particularly intelligent, though.

All the best,
                            Frank

Hi Frank. I agree with the high risk. That's how I see Jack. As a disorganised killer. He saw his chance and he took it. He didn't, IMO, plan where to kill or who specifically he was going after. If Jack was getting his jollies now, I don't doubt he'd be caught. I don't think Jack was an idiot, by any means. The links we have that ID Jack are the proximity of the murders, the type of victim, the time of the week, the method of attack and the increased ferocity of the abdominal mutilations.

I believe that Jack had enough self control to hold himself back to make his move. That's what I think happened with Stride in Dutfield's Yard.

The reason people think Jack was so clever is because he wasn't caught. Now, I can argue on Jack's side for that, or I can argue on the side of police ineptitude, or I can argue on the side of a society unprepared for the concept of an urban serial killer. So, as to that, I'm undecided.
                            http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

Perry Mason writes: If the ability to learn something of anatomy, to learn efficient usage of a sharp knife, to learn most of the streets and lane connections within a single square mile, and to be discreet calls for above average intelligence, then I guess I would go along. But those do not seem to me to be extraordinary feats that would eliminate someone of limited intelligence either.

Since the above could be said to apply to the majority of cabbies in London, I'd be inclined to agree....

Comment

Working...
                              X