Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.Hyde View Post
    The coroner suggested what?
    Every so often here a poster arrives with some swagger...Ill be interested to see how this all plays out for you Mr H. I suspect you should put on your seat belt though.

Anyway, Coroner Wynne Baxter said in his summation for the Mary Ann Nichols Inquest,

"I suggest to you as a possibility that these two women may have been murdered by the same man with the same object, and that in the case of Nicholls the wretch was disturbed before he had accomplished his object, and having failed in the open street he tries again, within a week of his failure, in a more secluded place."

I thought that reasonable, and astute of him as well.

Ive seen your posts that allude to your theory that the first 2 victims gave the last 3 an opportunity for blackmail. I can certainly see validation for the notion that Polly and Annie are the quintessential Ripper victims.

Anyone that can prove that Liz Stride was killed by Jack might just get the Pulitzer.

Best regards.

Comment

If I recall correctly the genius category is between 150 and 160, ....I keep thinking 156, ...but like Mike, I cant recall the exact number.

Attaching a 150 IQ to this man based only only what is known I believe is extending far more credit than is warranted.....just like the cause of our recent global economic woes.

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post

Anyone that can prove that Liz Stride was killed by Jack might just get the Pulitzer.

Best regards.
        yup

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
          Hyde Nor Hair,

I got it out of my head, so I may be wrong. I remember something like 74 or 75 being the lower end of normal functionality and anything over 140 being genius. There are higher levels of Genius perhaps beginning at 160, but I can't really recall exactly. My numbers are close, if not completely accurate. Yet, as I say, these numbers mean nothing to me really. I was just looking through the dimensions of the measuring stick you gave.

Cheers,

Mike

The 'average' person has an IQ of around 100. An IQ of 75 would be a relatively low intelligence score. A person with an IQ of 150 would be 'exceptional'.

In terms of how clever the killer was, IQ scores are not very helpful as they only measure particular types of intelligence and psychologists now believe there are different types of inteligence. However, generally, a low IQ would impair an individual's ability to reason, to think things through clearly, to problem solve and to be flexible in their thinking and actions. Therefore, it is unlikely that the killer had a lowish IQ.

Comment

Mr.Hyde

Every so often here a poster arrives with some swagger...Ill be interested to see how this all plays out for you Mr H. I suspect you should put on your seat belt though.

Anyway, Coroner Wynne Baxter said in his summation for the Mary Ann Nichols Inquest,

"I suggest to you as a possibility that these two women may have been murdered by the same man with the same object, and that in the case of Nicholls the wretch was disturbed before he had accomplished his object, and having failed in the open street he tries again, within a week of his failure, in a more secluded place."

I thought that reasonable, and astute of him as well.

Ive seen your posts that allude to your theory that the first 2 victims gave the last 3 an opportunity for blackmail. I can certainly see validation for the notion that Polly and Annie are the quintessential Ripper victims.

Best regards.
            Thanks for that.I honestly cannot source it.Will give it another go.
            CV1 and CV3,admittedly are difficult.
            Never entered my thoughts that I would be in the running for a Pulitzer.That is not "swagger",I usually display a self depreciating sense of humor.
            Thanks again,
            Dave.

Comment

Genius, in psychology, a person of extraordinary intellectual power. Definitions of genius in terms of intelligence quotient (IQ) are based on research originating in the early 1900s. In 1916 the American psychologist Lewis M. Terman set the IQ for “potential genius” at 140 and above, a level

Probably best I can find.
              Ain't much fun being~150.Probably more than expected.Some of us hyde it.Sniggle,snort.
              I live in a small country community with heaps of 131 plus and ~150.
              Suggest reading above link before posting.

Comment

Perry Mason.
                I basically agree with the Coroner.Astute.
                Thanks again,
                Dave.

Comment

"I basically agree with the Coroner.Astute.", Mr H.

Youre welcome by the way Mr H, and I think we have synchronization on the above. I think these kills, particularly Annies, should form some essential ideas about the man.

To what extent he deviates....well, thats what makes Canonical Groups and discussion threads. I will say that I fully understand the value of the phrase, "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

For me...this is the man whose acts spawned a gem of a nickname. The Whitechapel Murders in my opinion, caused by individual men and "gangs", happened before and after this C1-C2 killer worked. And perhaps once or twice, while.

Best regards
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2009, 10:27 PM.

Comment

The average IQ is 100. Below 70 is the technical definition of mental retardation, although 60-70 would be mildly retarded (there are degrees). The upper two percent of the population scores 130 and higher. I'm not sure what constitutes "genius" but this is definitely gifted.

I do not think Jack had a very low IQ. But nor do I think he was gifted (by simple probability). I believe that some are giving too much weight to the fact that he wasn't caught. This doesn't necessarily make him a genius. D. B. Cooper wasn't caught either. His jump wasn't exactly a good idea.

Comment

...and before someone is offended, I'm using the term "mental retardation" in the technical sense. I know that it is offensive to call someone retarded.

Comment

Hi Steely,

The part above I accentuated is a very logical train of thought, and despite the fact that I personally believe the killer need not have come from inside the "affected" area, and therefore could live anywhere within a reasonable walk, its hard to imagine that anyone could gain a real knowledge of foot traffic flow and routes without experiencing it themselves... often. In that specific less than one square mile section of town anyway.

Ive often wondered if Jack the Ripper lived on in the area why he might have "cooled down" over the winter...blood trails on snow. He couldnt be tracked on wet cobblestones.

Best regards
                        Thank you.

I agree, he did not need to live in Whitechapel specifically. However, I think it would have helped him to evade capture.
                        "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

IQ is a funny thing, really. It is a questionable measure of real intelligence. IQ tests formulated for an average person may fail to classify a genius who thinks in a different way - for instance, someone who has Attention Deficit Disorder.

Also, IQ does not measure what one would call wisdom.
                          "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

...which is why one of the brilliant engineers my husband works with wears sandals with no socks in the winter in Michigan!
                            Cheers,
                            cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Originally posted by cappuccina View Post
                              ...which is why one of the brilliant engineers my husband works with wears sandals with no socks in the winter in Michigan!
                              LOL. Exactly. One of my best friends is a very eccentric guy, but a true genius.

Comment

To be fair to IQ developers, I don't think the test is meant to measure quirkiness such as sandal wearing in the winter time. The test has high predictive validity with respect to success in academia, job success (income), and is negatively correlated with things like incarcerations and divorce. These data can be found in any intro psych textbook. One thing that most IQ tests do not measure is social intelligence. This may be relevant to JTR.

Comment

Working...
                                X