Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay

Magic Lantern Slide of Whitechapel, London. Slide measures 4" by 3 1/4".

Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris Scott; 02-18-2008, 10:16 PM.

Bad news on the Whitechapel slide, playmates.

I put a bid on it but I've just been overbid by a certain eBay user that will ensure the Ripper community will never see it.

The guy in question is extremely rich and just collects every magic lantern slide he sees. I was once bidding on loads of old slides of Iceland and he just came in and took the lot - he doesn't bat an eyelid at bidding $150 per slide and, of course, they're not that valuable. He's not an historian as far as I'm aware; just a slide collector. I think this image is 'lost'.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Here's the picture. Can anyone place it exactly?

Click image for larger version

Name:	magic lantern.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	652499
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Philip

The current bidder for the slide is a published Ripper author - so if he wins maybe do we get to see it.

Coral

Comment

Hi Stephen,

It might help if the slide was the right way round.

Click image for larger version

Name:	magic%20lantern.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	652501

It's from the Commercial Street end of Whitechapel High Street.
          Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about, there's an excellent reproduction in "Scotland Yard Investigates" and there's more picture information in there copy. And if I'm not mistaken either Tower Hamlets Local History Library or The London Metropolitan Library have a copy so if anyone wants a print they can get one from any of those two places for less than £20.

Rob

Comment

Here's a b/w version which shows a bit more detail

Chris
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
              It might help if the slide was the right way round.
              Cheers Rob

It looked familiar but the reversal had me confused.

Comment

PEOPLE OF THE ABYSS - JACK THE RIPPER HUNTING GROUND?
                For auction is this perfectly beautiful copy of the Jack London classic study of the East End of London, PEOPLE OF THE ABYSS, Jack London, Drawings by Gustave Dore & photographs by Jack London, Joseph Simon Publishers, 1st edition Thus, 203 pages. BOOK AND SLIPCASE ARE AS NEW; BOOK NEVER OPENED. Bound in Devon green linen cloth and Yorktown Gray Early American Text. Slipcase covered in Yorktown Gray Early American Text. London's incognito visit to the East End of London culminated in this amazing book; a true narrative of the sights and sounds of East London, topped with London's own photos and Dore drawings. The book has become a classic and if you have ANY interest in history, England, London, Whitechapel, people in general, the stunningly poor in particular, Jack the Ripper's hunting grounds, or just a thumping good read, this is the book for you.

Comment

SCOT'S GUARDS FIRING AT HOUSE IN SIDNEY ST. WHERE HOUNDSDITCH ASSASSINS WERE. No.4

POSTCARD

Jan 11 1911

Comment

This is a vintage book titled "The Trials Of Israel Lipski A True Story Of A Victorian Murder In the East End Of london" by Martin Friedland. Hardback. Copyrighted 1984. First American Edition. In good used condition showing some wear and handling to bookcovers, spine, pages, edges. Some yellowing of book, and pages. Some minor fading of book covers. Some minor wear along spine, covers, and edges. Some minor bumping and wearing of corners. Some surface dirt. No pulling or cracking.

Comment

Hi Coral - wow, that's a coincidence! Good news, then, but I'll still try and bid again. If indeed it's as Rob says (and I have no reason to doubt it) then it's not major anyhow (rather like the saga over that postcard that sold for a billion pounds a few weeks back).

How odd that this guy who is just a major collector of magic lantern slides is also in the WS1888 - what are the chances of that?!

And, as always when a copy comes up, if you don't have People Of The Abyss, anyone, then BID!!!

EDIT : Just seen who the current high bidder is - that's not the guy I was talking about. No no, I KNOW who the eBayer beginning with 'O' is. It was the one beginning with 'The' I was referring to!

PHILIP
                      Last edited by George Hutchinson; 02-19-2008, 04:40 PM.
                      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                        Here's the picture. Can anyone place it exactly?

[ATTACH]69[/ATTACH]

It would help if it was the right way round!

Comment

OK then!

Thats me out of the magic lantern slide. No worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                            This is a vintage book titled "The Trials Of Israel Lipski A True Story Of A Victorian Murder In the East End Of london" by Martin Friedland. Hardback. Copyrighted 1984. First American Edition. In good used condition showing some wear and handling to bookcovers, spine, pages, edges. Some yellowing of book, and pages. Some minor fading of book covers. Some minor wear along spine, covers, and edges. Some minor bumping and wearing of corners. Some surface dirt. No pulling or cracking.
                            Hi Chris

There are loads of copies of this magnificent book available to buy quite cheaply on Amazon UK. Like the author, Professor Friedland, I believe that the Lipski story has significant bearing on the Ripper case. The Jewish authorities did the British government a very big favour in getting Lipski to confess to the murder, a favour that might well have been reciprocated the following year or so.

Comment

Hi Philip

The -ex bidder - as you now know was Bob Hinton - and, sadly, he is not a WS member.

Coral

Comment

Working...
                              X