No announcement yet.

Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those Canadians here......maybe we need one of those Winterland:Who's Who CBC programs to educate people about Canada. For the non-Canadians, CBC is essentially our BBC, and in the fifties and sixties they made Canadian Wildlife Short Films......like watching a squirrel bury nuts, or a beaver making a dam. Fascinating and very educational...

Sam's right though, it is the Maple Leaf that is the symbol, and that is reddish brown.

And we do have a connection to the Ripper killings us Canadians, at least a suspect anyway....Tumblety had offices in Toronto and Montreal and St John(s), and was born right across the border in Rochester, NY.

Cheers Mates.

Comment

Sorry Michael, Tumblety was born in or near Dublin, Ireland, around 1830. Neil Cream was born in Glasgow but raised in Wolfe's Cove near Quebec City. Interestingly both Cream and Tumblety had offices in London, Ontario, (both buildings long gone) at different times. There is also Wentworth Bell Smith and Jack Irwin, however, plus three or four "Ripper" murders which took place around the country.

Wolf.

Comment

Any have any info about this:

The guys been trying to sell it for months, but I think he's got it priced a little high.
        “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Thanks guys, LOL.

The reason I ask is because if it's a Canadian paper, then I can get a copy of the article at the local library (if I don't already have a copy in my files)

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
            For those Canadians here......maybe we need one of those Winterland:Who's Who CBC programs to educate people about Canada.

We already do--it's called Rick Mercer: Talking to Americans....

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
              Any have any info about this:

The guys been trying to sell it for months, but I think he's got it priced a little high.
              Yes. I've read The Killing of Jack the Ripper as it appeared in the book The Arizona Story: compiled and edited from original newspaper sources by Joseph Miller.

This tale involves a Benson, Arizona bartender and roulette table manager nicknamed "Jack the Ripper", who, in 1906, was involved in a shoot-out in a saloon with a bar owner, Jesse Fisher, over the ill-treatment of a waitress. Gunfire was exchanged, patrons fled for cover, and "Jack the Ripper", the bartender, was killed by multiple bullet wounds.

In this book, the name of the saloon is withheld, as is the reason this bartender was given the nickname 'Jack the Ripper'. "Jack's" real name, in this story, is unknown to the author.

I'm afraid it's not about our Jack.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                We already do--it's called Rick Mercer: Talking to Americans....
                Mercer is a hack. Some Americans know a lot about Canada. If Canada was more important, maybe more Americans would be up on Canadian fun facts

Mike
                huh?

Comment

Here is a postcard of actor Richard Mansfield on ebay, if anyone is interested. It dates to 1906.

"What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Admin here. Just wanted ya'll to know I'll be auctioning off Philip Hutchinson's e-mail address next week. Bid quick and bid high. Good luck.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Got it. The card is mine. That'll go nicely with the 1880s letter I have from him as well. Thanks for the heads up, C.

Tom - no idea what you're talking about.

PHILIP
                      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Just amusing myself and anyone else who might have got the joke. Or perhaps I've just lost my mind.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I was doing a little spring cleaning today and have come across two copies of my book, The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs. One is a numbered copy (limited to 100), and one is unnumbered. Both are unread.

I was going to auction them on eBay but would like to offer members of the community interested in obtaining this rare book first chance at them. Just PM or email me lacassagne@email.com and I will give you the details.

If you are unfamiliar with the title, here are a couple of reviews and the Casebook thread on it.

Casebook
                          Whitechapel Society 1888

Click image for larger version

Name:	First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	653581

Cheers,

Robert

Robert J. McLaughlin

Comment

Hi Robert,

Think Jmenges might like a copy, he was gutted when I got my autographed edition!
                            Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Robert

I'll do you a swap, although I'll need some money as a top up. I have an original 1888 bound copy of Punch June-December, with all the Ripper related items, nemesis of neglect print, et al. The copy is in very good condition, and is all the more interesting as it is ex libris. I sent an e-mail offering it to the proprieters of this web-site but have heard nothing yet, if they are interested they have first refusal of course, but if not then you can have second refusal.

Funnily enough, a friend of mine also had a copy of the above, from the same source, he put his on ebay about two years ago, and it didn't reach the reserve, it only reaching the usual £15 that run of the mill bound copies of punch achieve.

All the best

Observer.
                              Last edited by Observer; 05-01-2008, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                                Hi Robert,

Think Jmenges might like a copy, he was gutted when I got my autographed edition!
                                Uh. Yes.

Save one for me Robert, I'll be emailing you....

Right now.

JM

Comment

Working...
                                X