No announcement yet.

Is it me ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can Google for sites which test your internet speed. Be aware these tests do use up some data if that is a concern.
    Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

How fast is your download speed? In seconds, FAST.com's simple Internet speed test will estimate your ISP speed.

Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I'm using my 'new' phone at the moment - I'm assuming that it might need a new battery.
        Have you tried stoking the coal?
        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Have you tried stoking the coal?
          Thank you Mr Brunel I didn't think of that
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Thanks for your comments and help all.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Jumping to a page in a thread.

I'm not sure how easy/difficult this might be on tablets and phones. I'm using a desktop. What I've done in the past is the following.

Currently this thread has 2 pages. If I look at the URL in the address bar the last part says page2. For some of you that's probably all you need to know to work out the rest. If not read on...

Now say you are on a thread with say 10 pages and you are on the 10th page. You want to go to a post that you know is on page 2. So go to the address bar where at the end it will have page10 and change it to page2 and then something like hit Enter. Should go to page 2 of the thread.
              These are not clues, Fred.
              It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
              They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
              And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
              We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                Jumping to a page in a thread.

I'm not sure how easy/difficult this might be on tablets and phones. I'm using a desktop. What I've done in the past is the following.

Currently this thread has 2 pages. If I look at the URL in the address bar the last part says page2. For some of you that's probably all you need to know to work out the rest. If not read on...

Now say you are on a thread with say 10 pages and you are on the 10th page. You want to go to a post that you know is on page 2. So go to the address bar where at the end it will have page10 and change it to page2 and then something like hit Enter. Should go to page 2 of the thread.
                I was just on the front page when I saw the picture of the man with the rifle and I thought to myself "which poster has that avatar?"

5 seconds later I get a post from him!

Cheers Ozzy I'll give it a go.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I can get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number. There's a drop-down list from the three vertical dots in the top right hand corner. One of the options is Find In Page but I don't think that does what I've been looking for.

It's not the end of the world Ozzy it's just that it's a real pain searching through a long thread for something.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

The avatar is probably too small to see it but that's Peter O'Toole from the 1976 TV movie of Rogue Male. I've read that Peter O'Toole thought it was one of his best performances. Rogue Male is one of my fave books. There was a rumour a couple of years back that there was going to be a new movie version funded by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Link to Rogue Male 1976 on Youtube. Well worth watching. I think you'll like it.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMtGmGa8KZ0

edit
                    You said -
                    I can get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number.
                    Don't you mean - I can't get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number.
                    And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                    We will not.

Comment

The avatar is probably too small to see it but that's Peter O'Toole from the 1976 TV movie of Rogue Male. I've read that Peter O'Toole thought it was one of his best performances. Rogue Male is one of my fave books. There was a rumour a couple of years back that there was going to be a new movie version funded by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Link to Rogue Male 1976 on Youtube. Well worth watching. I think you'll like it.

edit
                      You said -
                      Don't you mean - I can't get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number.
                      I did mean 'can't.'
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                        I can get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number. There's a drop-down list from the three vertical dots in the top right hand corner. One of the options is Find In Page but I don't think that does what I've been looking for.

It's not the end of the world Ozzy it's just that it's a real pain searching through a long thread for something.
                        Hi Herlock,

At the top right, next to the search, I see "Page 2 of 2" right now. I can just edit the first 2 and put another page number in, hit enter/return, and it jumps to that page. I'm using a PC and not familiar with the phone or MAC look of the boards though, so maybe that's not an option for you?

- Jeff

Comment

edit
                          You said -
                          I love the book and the O’Toole film version. I know the area where the bolt hole was supposed to be - in a hollow way near Chideock in Dorset. Lovely part of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

I love the book and the O’Toole film version. I know the area where the bolt hole was supposed to be - in a hollow way near Chideock in Dorset. Lovely part of the country.
                            I live in East Devon so near to Dorset. Lyme Regis is 7 miles from me.

I read that Geoffey Household's son wanted to spread his father's ashes where the bolthole was but couldn't find it. Maybe the author never had an exact, precise, location in mind.
                            We will not.

Comment

I live in East Devon so near to Dorset. Lyme Regis is 7 miles from me.

I read that Geoffey Household's son wanted to spread his father's ashes where the bolthole was but couldn't find it. Maybe the author never had an exact, precise, location in mind.
                              We have a place in Lyme. The East Devon border is a short walk from where we are.

Although Household didn’t explicitly identify the holloway the clues suggest somewhere near Chideock.

Have you read ‘Holloway’ by Robert Macfarlane? In it he describes his search for Household’s bolt hole.

Comment

Working...
                              X