Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it me ???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    You can Google for sites which test your internet speed. Be aware these tests do use up some data if that is a concern.

    Comment


    • #17
      https://fast.com/

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

        I'm using my 'new' phone at the moment - I'm assuming that it might need a new battery.
        Have you tried stoking the coal?
        Thems the Vagaries.....

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

          Have you tried stoking the coal?
          Thank you Mr Brunel I didn't think of that
          Regards

          Herlock




          “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
          As night descends upon this fabled street:
          A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
          The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
          Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
          And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

          Comment


          • #20
            Thanks for your comments and help all.
            Regards

            Herlock




            “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
            As night descends upon this fabled street:
            A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
            The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
            Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
            And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

            Comment


            • #21
              Jumping to a page in a thread.

              I'm not sure how easy/difficult this might be on tablets and phones. I'm using a desktop. What I've done in the past is the following.

              Currently this thread has 2 pages. If I look at the URL in the address bar the last part says page2. For some of you that's probably all you need to know to work out the rest. If not read on...

              Now say you are on a thread with say 10 pages and you are on the 10th page. You want to go to a post that you know is on page 2. So go to the address bar where at the end it will have page10 and change it to page2 and then something like hit Enter. Should go to page 2 of the thread.
              These are not clues, Fred.
              It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
              They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
              And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
              We will not.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                Jumping to a page in a thread.

                I'm not sure how easy/difficult this might be on tablets and phones. I'm using a desktop. What I've done in the past is the following.

                Currently this thread has 2 pages. If I look at the URL in the address bar the last part says page2. For some of you that's probably all you need to know to work out the rest. If not read on...

                Now say you are on a thread with say 10 pages and you are on the 10th page. You want to go to a post that you know is on page 2. So go to the address bar where at the end it will have page10 and change it to page2 and then something like hit Enter. Should go to page 2 of the thread.
                I was just on the front page when I saw the picture of the man with the rifle and I thought to myself "which poster has that avatar?"

                5 seconds later I get a post from him!

                Cheers Ozzy I'll give it a go.
                Regards

                Herlock




                “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
                As night descends upon this fabled street:
                A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
                The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
                Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
                And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

                Comment


                • #23
                  I can get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number. There's a drop-down list from the three vertical dots in the top right hand corner. One of the options is Find In Page but I don't think that does what I've been looking for.

                  It's not the end of the world Ozzy it's just that it's a real pain searching through a long thread for something.
                  Regards

                  Herlock




                  “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
                  As night descends upon this fabled street:
                  A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
                  The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
                  Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
                  And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The avatar is probably too small to see it but that's Peter O'Toole from the 1976 TV movie of Rogue Male. I've read that Peter O'Toole thought it was one of his best performances. Rogue Male is one of my fave books. There was a rumour a couple of years back that there was going to be a new movie version funded by Benedict Cumberbatch.

                    Link to Rogue Male 1976 on Youtube. Well worth watching. I think you'll like it.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMtGmGa8KZ0

                    edit
                    You said -
                    I can get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number.
                    Don't you mean - I can't get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number.
                    These are not clues, Fred.
                    It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                    They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                    And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                    We will not.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                      The avatar is probably too small to see it but that's Peter O'Toole from the 1976 TV movie of Rogue Male. I've read that Peter O'Toole thought it was one of his best performances. Rogue Male is one of my fave books. There was a rumour a couple of years back that there was going to be a new movie version funded by Benedict Cumberbatch.

                      Link to Rogue Male 1976 on Youtube. Well worth watching. I think you'll like it.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMtGmGa8KZ0

                      edit
                      You said -
                      I can get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number.
                      Don't you mean - I can't get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number.
                      I did mean 'can't.'
                      Regards

                      Herlock




                      “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
                      As night descends upon this fabled street:
                      A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
                      The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
                      Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
                      And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                        I can get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number. There's a drop-down list from the three vertical dots in the top right hand corner. One of the options is Find In Page but I don't think that does what I've been looking for.

                        It's not the end of the world Ozzy it's just that it's a real pain searching through a long thread for something.
                        Hi Herlock,

                        At the top right, next to the search, I see "Page 2 of 2" right now. I can just edit the first 2 and put another page number in, hit enter/return, and it jumps to that page. I'm using a PC and not familiar with the phone or MAC look of the boards though, so maybe that's not an option for you?

                        - Jeff

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                          The avatar is probably too small to see it but that's Peter O'Toole from the 1976 TV movie of Rogue Male. I've read that Peter O'Toole thought it was one of his best performances. Rogue Male is one of my fave books. There was a rumour a couple of years back that there was going to be a new movie version funded by Benedict Cumberbatch.

                          Link to Rogue Male 1976 on Youtube. Well worth watching. I think you'll like it.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMtGmGa8KZ0

                          edit
                          You said -
                          I can get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number.
                          Don't you mean - I can't get to the end of it Ozzy so I can't change the number.
                          I love the book and the O’Toole film version. I know the area where the bolt hole was supposed to be - in a hollow way near Chideock in Dorset. Lovely part of the country.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

                            I love the book and the O’Toole film version. I know the area where the bolt hole was supposed to be - in a hollow way near Chideock in Dorset. Lovely part of the country.
                            I live in East Devon so near to Dorset. Lyme Regis is 7 miles from me.

                            I read that Geoffey Household's son wanted to spread his father's ashes where the bolthole was but couldn't find it. Maybe the author never had an exact, precise, location in mind.
                            These are not clues, Fred.
                            It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                            They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                            And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                            We will not.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Ozzy View Post

                              I live in East Devon so near to Dorset. Lyme Regis is 7 miles from me.

                              I read that Geoffey Household's son wanted to spread his father's ashes where the bolthole was but couldn't find it. Maybe the author never had an exact, precise, location in mind.
                              We have a place in Lyme. The East Devon border is a short walk from where we are.

                              Although Household didn’t explicitly identify the holloway the clues suggest somewhere near Chideock.

                              Have you read ‘Holloway’ by Robert Macfarlane? In it he describes his search for Household’s bolt hole.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X