Ripper-Related Victorian Vocabulary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah-Lee

I'm interested in the assertion that I've seen in several places regarding the phrase "Oh, Murder!" being a common exclamation in the LVP . . . in fact something akin to a modern "Oh, expletive!"

I'm no expert on words, but in the Ripper case the discussion has often been about whether such a cry was believable.

In Victorian melodrama one can imagine an actor or actress using the words, but in a theatrical way, with full gestures and imploring looks. But was it something the sort of people who lived on Dorset St would say?

If you were woken up and found a knife hurtling towards you, would you use those words?

On the other hand one might make a case for "Oh!" pause, then a yelled, "MURDER!!!" But that is not how it is recorded.

From my youth in the 50s, I think I recall people saying, "Oh, murder" as a sort of mild cuss-word, at a time when four-letter words and even "bloody" or "blimey" were regarded as much more shocking then they are nowadays.

The options are that, assuming the phrase was spoken at all, it related to:

a) Mary Kelly waking and realising her danger (I think this unlikely)

b) someone entering the room and discovering the body (perhaps even more unlikely)

c) a remark in the street unconnected with the murder of MJK (perhaps more likely now that we know Elizabeth Prater may have occupied a FRONT room overlooking Dorset St).

Phil

Comment

• modern equivalent

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
      Hello again all,

Just catching up. A cockchafer is actually a kind of beetle (called a maybug where I grew up), I think in the press-cutting about hunting that "knickers" is short for knickerbockers.( Baggy trousers to the knees, you wouldnīt want your pheasants running up your trouserlegs)

A "gay young man about town", perhaps we shouldnīt go there, not even with reference to Prince Eddy - just meant a playboy (which is probably dated now as well - canīt think of a modern equivilant - perhaps young men donīt play as much as they did). Continuing on this theme reminds me of the old anonymous verse which would be completely misunderstood these days:

"All the worldīs gone mad, mīdear,
      Save thee and me,
      And even theeīs a little queer."

Sometimes comes to mind when I`m reading through the casebook!

Regards,
      C4
      C4; The terms "rake" or "rogue" were used cad as well depending on context. Here in the U.S. hound is used to denote someone who revels in feminine company. I'm in my mid fifties so what the younger generation uses eludes me though "Player" (Playa in hip-hop parlance) sounds about right.
      Last edited by YankeeSergeant; 06-04-2011, 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling
      Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

• Wandering

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
        Came across this one yesterday for a prostitute - "wandering beauty of the night".
        I always like the term "Soiled dove"
        Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil H View Post
          Sarah-Lee

I'm interested in the assertion that I've seen in several places regarding the phrase "Oh, Murder!" being a common exclamation in the LVP . . . in fact something akin to a modern "Oh, expletive!"

I'm no expert on words, but in the Ripper case the discussion has often been about whether such a cry was believable.

In Victorian melodrama one can imagine an actor or actress using the words, but in a theatrical way, with full gestures and imploring looks. But was it something the sort of people who lived on Dorset St would say?

If you were woken up and found a knife hurtling towards you, would you use those words?

On the other hand one might make a case for "Oh!" pause, then a yelled, "MURDER!!!" But that is not how it is recorded.

From my youth in the 50s, I think I recall people saying, "Oh, murder" as a sort of mild cuss-word, at a time when four-letter words and even "bloody" or "blimey" were regarded as much more shocking then they are nowadays.

The options are that, assuming the phrase was spoken at all, it related to:

a) Mary Kelly waking and realising her danger (I think this unlikely)

b) someone entering the room and discovering the body (perhaps even more unlikely)

c) a remark in the street unconnected with the murder of MJK (perhaps more likely now that we know Elizabeth Prater may have occupied a FRONT room overlooking Dorset St).

Phil

Could the term "oh murder" be the shorthand written version of "a cry of murder"?

Lets say a witness/interviewee uses the exact words "I heard a cry of murder" when giving a statement to a reporter. The lazy arsed journalist then shortens this to simply "oh murder!"

Comment

• Originally posted by jason_c View Post
            Could the term "oh murder" be the shorthand written version of "a cry of murder"?

Lets say a witness/interviewee uses the exact words "I heard a cry of murder" when giving a statement to a reporter. The lazy arsed journalist then shortens this to simply "oh murder!"
            Hi Jason!
            I don't think this is very likely. I've had secretarial training (a long time ago, 1960's) which included Pitman's shorthand. When you use shorthand every working day you just automatically write down what you hear. It becomes almost second-nature. You don't have to think about what symbols to use - it's like ordinary writing to you, but faster!
            Love
            Carol

Comment

• Victorian Underworld Slang

Hi everyone. Thought I'd revive this old thread as we had so much fun with it.

These underworld terms are from the Victorian Slang Glossary.

Ladybird: A Prostitute.

Tail: A Prostitute.

Toffer: A superior whore.

Roller: A thief who robs drunks or a prostitute who steals from her clientele.

Mandrake: A homosexual.

Nancy: Buttocks. (This definition puts a different twist on the old term "Nancy Boy", doesn't it? Apparently it means more than just "an effeminate male"!)

Crapped: Hung, hanged.

Topped: Hung.

Topping: A hanging. (This makes George Topping Hutchinson's middle name rather interesting.)

Nethers: Lodging charges, rent.

Netherskens: Low lodging houses, flophouses.

Newgate Knockers: Heavily greased side whiskers curling back to, or over the ears. (Ugh- unfortunately as I read the definition I couldn't help picturing it!)

The Chapel: Whitechapel.

Best regards,
              Archaic

Comment

• Slang Meaning of 'Pensioner'

Here's an interesting slang term. It reminded me of Annie Chapman's "friend" Edward Stanley, who was known as "the Pensioner".

This is from Hotten's 1872 Slang Dictionary.

"PENSIONER, a man of the most degraded morals who lives off the miserable earnings of a prostitute."

Best regards,
                Archaic

Comment

• 'Pensioner'

Here are some further slang definitions of "pensioner". Note that "prostitute's bully" is the Victorian term for "pimp".

PENSIONER, (venery). A prostitute's bully; FANCY-MAN.

Fancy-man (or bloke). A prostitute's lover, husband, or pensioner. English synonyms: applesquire, faker, bully, ponce, pensioner, Sunday-man, fancy-Joseph, squire of the body, apron-squire, petticoat pensioner, prosser, twat-faker, twatmaster, stallion, mack, bouncer, bruiser, buck.

Fancy-piece. A prostitute.

Best regards,
                  Archaic

Comment

• Edward Stanley

PENSIONER, (venery). A prostitute's bully; FANCY-MAN.

Fancy-man (or bloke). A prostitute's lover, husband, or pensioner. English synonyms: applesquire, faker, bully, ponce, pensioner, Sunday-man, fancy-Joseph, squire of the body, apron-squire, petticoat pensioner, prosser, twat-faker, twatmaster, stallion, mack, bouncer, bruiser, buck.
                    Does this not potentially alter our perceptions of Ted the Pensioner, who in the Chapman case admitted he'd never drawn a regimental pension?

Dave

Comment

• I saw a nice 18th century phrase today.

DANCING ON NOTHING

ie hanged.
                      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Now THAT Stephen is a corker, a cracker, a smasher, and indubitably a veritable gem!

Dave

Comment

• "The Three-Legged Mare"

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                          I saw a nice 18th century phrase today.

DANCING ON NOTHING

ie hanged.
                          Dave, Stephen really is a gem!

OK, I have a slang term for you guys: who knows what the 'Three Legged Mare' refers to?

It's the massive triangular gallows built at Tyburn. It was built extra-large so as many as 24 prisoners could be hanged at once, and extra-tall so more people could view the proceedings - presumably for their own moral enlightenment. The cross-pieces were 9' long, and the structure stood 18' high. Enormous crowds turned out to watch the executions. Depending upon the notoriety of the prisoner, from 10,000-100,000 people attended.

Other popular slang terms for the gallows were "Tyburn Tree" and "The Three Legged Stool".

The Terrifying Tyburn Tree: http://www.history.co.uk/explore-his...burn-tree.html

Tyburn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyburn

Best regards,
                          Archaic

Comment

• Three Legged Mare

Hi Bunny

And in the city of this years Ripper conference:-

http://www.visityork.org/eating/York...&venue=1500341

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Images of the "Three-Legged Mare", Tyburn

Hi Dave.

That's a really cool name for a pub- as long as they let their patrons out alive!

Here are two views of the huge triangular Tyburn gallows.

The second image is a famous engraving by William Hogarth titled "The Idle 'Prentice, Executed At Tyburn." (Idle Apprentices were clearly not heading toward a good end.)

The plaque marks the spot where the old gallows stood.

I'm curious if any Casebookers have visited Tyburn? (In a strictly recreational capacity, of course.)

Best regards,
                              Archaic
                              Attached Files

Comment

• The site of the Tyburn Tree is said to be at what is now Marble Arch, at the north-east corner of Hyde Park.
                                Should think most London visitors have been there, or pretty close Bunny!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X