Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - by Batman 51 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wolf Vanderlinden 59 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wolf Vanderlinden 1 hour and 2 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - by DJA 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - by Simon Wood 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - by jerryd 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - (11 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (9 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications

Old 03-08-2016, 07:04 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Hi Steve,

Well, "jupes" seem fairly congruent with "juwes" since it is rather similar and I think you have looked in a dictionary so we are trying a new method here. You have also forgotten about the connection to "jews" so now you are practising the two quesitons I posed. This is one way of doing it.

But is it plausible that Jack the Ripper had any problem with some men dressing in a certain style?

Regards, Pierre
Pierre

purely hypothetically:

Using "Jupes" maybe the writer is referring to a very specific type of clothing? a style of jacket or trousers could be a uniform perhaps?
but that is just off the top of my head.

Interesting debate certainly, but am not sure it actually moves us any further from the "Norm" on GSG in explaining it.
I see nothing so far to suggest this method of interpretation is giving anything more reliable than the tradition view; of course it could be we may yet get something by digging deeper.
However we then begin to fall into the trap of maybe accepting something as evidence when it is really not, but fits with a preconceived idea.

lets be honest we all have theories with regards to the murders, and no matter how hard we may try to dismiss bias, it is not always possible..

I certainly see no reason so far to move from my maybe entrenched position, that the GSG has nothing to do with the murders, but am still open to persuasion if compelling evidence, not just theory, is produced.

regards

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 AM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Pierre

purely hypothetically:

Using "Jupes" maybe the writer is referring to a very specific type of clothing? a style of jacket or trousers could be a uniform perhaps?
but that is just off the top of my head.

regards

Steve
Hi Steve,

But could jupes be "men"?

Regards, Pierre
Old 03-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Commisioner

reeves

your welcome.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 03-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Hi Steve,

But could jupes be "men"?

Regards, Pierre

Pierre

that does actually depend on other information,

To be "yes", "jupe" or "jupes" would need to have been a term used, maybe as slang for a style of clothing worn by a particular group of men, or just a term used for those men.
That is A nick name, such as Harrison apparently said was used for the city police, not trying to connect the two, that was just first example that came to mind, I could have said "gunners" for Arsenal football team.

if no such connection can be seen or found obviously "jupes" would not be

"men"

regards
Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Cadet

'Jupe' is an item of clothing, usually of the upper body http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dic...y/english/jupe

It was unusual but current in 19th Century England usage.

It has nothing to do with 'Jewes' which is simply a spelling mistake, if it ever existed.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Hi David,

Is it plausible that Jack the Ripper knew about the "jutes" and had any interest in them?

After the analysis of data we always interpret the data.

What would you, as a sociologist, say about it; do you see a plausible reason to think that the "jutes" is in the interest of the killer?
No-one knows who Jack the Ripper was, Pierre, so no-one knows what he knew or what his interests were.

But if Jack the Ripper was from Jutland, or was otherwise of Scandinavian descent, there is a fair chance he knew about the Jutes and was interested in them.

I thought we were simply trying to interpret the writing on the wall – which may or may not have been written by Jack the Ripper - but if your starting point is that we have to know who Jack the Ripper was before we can do so, and you think you do know who Jack the Ripper was, then perhaps you should tell us his identity and this might help us to understand what the writing means.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Hi C.D.,

But if he was a poor speller, why is the letter combination "Juwes" the only one misspelled in the text?e
Because "Jew" is a foreign word?

Why assume that the rest of the text must contain a spelling error?
Old 03-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandola View Post
'Jupe' is an item of clothing, usually of the upper body http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dic...y/english/jupe

It was unusual but current in 19th Century England usage.

It has nothing to do with 'Jewes' which is simply a spelling mistake, if it ever existed.
i agree entirely.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Commisioner

Been looking at this for a few days now. and have been happy to try Pierre's approach to see if it led anywhere.

Having done that I am of the opinion that while the experiment suggested is to a degree diverting, it is a word game which there is no answer to.

I can see no reason to believe that this approach is any more likely to provide an answer than the approach that has been used before. that is I see no reason to think that the word Juwes is anything other than it what it appears on face value to be. There needs to be a reason to try this approach.

Pierre, you have asked us some questions which some of us have tried to answer, however to continue with this I feel a need to ask some of you :

1. Why do you think that we need to go outside the box to understand the meaning of the GSG ? why do you believe it is not a simply misspelling, or do you?

2. Do you think the killer wrote the GSG? if so what leads you to this conclusion?

3. Do you believe know what the word means? if so could you enlighten us please?

regards

Steve
Old 03-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Been looking at this for a few days now. and have been happy to try Pierre's approach to see if it led anywhere.

Having done that I am of the opinion that while the experiment suggested is to a degree diverting, it is a word game which there is no answer to.

I can see no reason to believe that this approach is any more likely to provide an answer than the approach that has been used before. that is I see no reason to think that the word Juwes is anything other than it what it appears on face value to be. There needs to be a reason to try this approach.

Pierre, you have asked us some questions which some of us have tried to answer, however to continue with this I feel a need to ask some of you :

Quote:
1. Why do you think that we need to go outside the box to understand the meaning of the GSG ?
Because no one has managed to give a plausible explanation.

why do you believe it is not a simply misspelling, or do you?

Because the combination of letters in the word "Juwes" is wrong. The rest of the writing is correct. Therefore, and given the conditions of seeing the writing on the wall (written on a rough surface on a dark night in a critical situation), it is more likely that the combination of letters is a result of misreading. (Why should be believe that Halse had good eyesight and could read perfecty?)

2. Do you think the killer wrote the GSG? if so what leads you to this conclusion?

Serial killer leave messages to taunt the police.

The GSG was found where this serial killer himself put the piece of apron. He could have taken the apron with him and thereby reduced the risk of the police finding him.

3. Do you believe know what the word means? if so could you enlighten us please?

I donīt believe I know anything. But I believe that many people thinking outside of the box could enhance the chance of achieving knew knowledge.

regards

Steve

Regards, Pierre

Last edited by Pierre : 03-08-2016 at 12:54 PM.