Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by MrBarnett 2 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Sam Flynn 24 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Sam Flynn 36 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by MrBarnett 42 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by MrBarnett 52 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 1 hour and 24 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (117 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - (19 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (16 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - (10 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (7 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Most Ridiculous Theory - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Pub Talk

Old 10-20-2016, 11:41 PM
Commisioner

I wonder about the polls. Yes, most have Clinton ahead, but they're not consistent. In fact, of the three polls published on Thursday IBD and Rasmussen had Trump ahead, wheras the LA Times had it a tie.

Moreover, polling data from Rasmussen and the LA Times as consistently shown Trump to be either slightly ahead or in a tie with Clinton.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:20 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YomRippur View Post
At this point Trump can hope for 2 things:

Hope for a higher voter turnout on Nov. 8 than the historical 50-60%. I believe Trump supporters love him with greater passion than Clinton supporters love her. So if the turnout exceeds the norm, it may benefit Trump more than it does Hillary.

Hope that the polls are in error in predicting the winner, just like the Brexit vote was erroneously predicted by the polls.

But the thing that is sinking his campaign is literally right under his nose: his mouth. He is just way too careless with words.
Correct. I have been saying all along that it's the man's own words that will sink him.

He continues to say outrageous things that please his base. But, as a lot of commentators are saying, he is not making new supporters but instead turning more people off. It isn't a winning strategy.
For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/
Old 10-21-2016, 06:48 AM
Casebook Supporter

Just a quick question from an onlooker : has the health issue with Hillary had any effect? Are people paying more attention to her running mate than is customary?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:29 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
Correct. I have been saying all along that it's the man's own words that will sink him.

He continues to say outrageous things that please his base. But, as a lot of commentators are saying, he is not making new supporters but instead turning more people off. It isn't a winning strategy.
well I can totally agree with this. As Ive said many times-hes going to talk himself out of the white house. Its also not a good quality to have as president!

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 10-21-2016, 07:35 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
I wonder about the polls. Yes, most have Clinton ahead, but they're not consistent. In fact, of the three polls published on Thursday IBD and Rasmussen had Trump ahead, wheras the LA Times had it a tie.

Moreover, polling data from Rasmussen and the LA Times as consistently shown Trump to be either slightly ahead or in a tie with Clinton.
the reason those polls (Rasmussen and the LA Times) consistently
have Trump ahead is because they have been polling the same people each time...so it will never give an accurate number...It's not fake, or "rigged" as Donald would say... but not accurate....be that as it may, national polls have Clinton ahead by 6... which is still relatively close (most times in recent history it's 1 or 2 points), it shows how completely divided we are as a country....and sadly, whoever wins will never get the support of the opposite side and will not be able to get much done...I love my country, and I hate that this election has made us look so bad to the rest of the world....extremists on both sides DO NOT REPRESENT the majority.. but sadly they get all the attention.....Oh well at least the World Series can start soon and I can be somewhat distracted!!!

Steadmund Brand
Old 10-21-2016, 07:59 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Just a quick question from an onlooker : has the health issue with Hillary had any effect? Are people paying more attention to her running mate than is customary?
Hi Robert

I don't believe Trump's barbs about Clinton's health have had much impact. As Hillary Clinton said last night at a charity dinner in New York, she spent 4 1/2 hours debating Trump in three debates. That speaks for itself. To answer your other question, I don't think Democratic VP nominee Tim Kaine is getting any more attention than normal for a running mate.

Best regards

Chris
For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/
Old 10-21-2016, 08:10 AM
Casebook Supporter

Thanks Chris.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:31 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
the reason those polls (Rasmussen and the LA Times) consistently
have Trump ahead is because they have been polling the same people each time...so it will never give an accurate number...It's not fake, or "rigged" as Donald would say... but not accurate....be that as it may, national polls have Clinton ahead by 6... which is still relatively close (most times in recent history it's 1 or 2 points), it shows how completely divided we are as a country....and sadly, whoever wins will never get the support of the opposite side and will not be able to get much done...I love my country, and I hate that this election has made us look so bad to the rest of the world....extremists on both sides DO NOT REPRESENT the majority.. but sadly they get all the attention.....Oh well at least the World Series can start soon and I can be somewhat distracted!!!

Steadmund Brand
Thanks for the reply. That obviously explains the discrepancy. I'd just assumed that all polls were based on a random selection of individuals, but obviously not if some pollsters are just polling the same people each time.

I notice one poll today has Clinton 12 points ahead in Virginia, which will be a sensation if correct, as Obama only won this state with less than a 4 point lead over Romney in 2012.

Last edited by John G : 10-21-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:13 AM
Chief Inspector

Unfortunately, Reuters reports its polls show Trump is gaining, and some prospective voters are saying they don't think his sexual behavior in the past matters now, or that they want to see what he'll do in the White House.

My concern is what if the unusually long list of alternative candidates manages to split the vote enough that there is no clear winner? Strange days, indeed.
---------------
Old 10-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Chief Inspector

Clinton will win easily.

There are loads of stupid people everywhere but not enough in the US to vote this person in.