No announcement yet.

Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A name that has been mentioned for a cabinet appointment by president elect Trump is 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney who is being talked about for the post of Secretary of State. As you may recall, Romney held a news conference some months before the election in which he said Trump was unqualified to be president and knew nothing about foreign policy. It thus may seem surprising that Romney is being mentioned for the nation's top diplomatic post. The two men are set to meet over the weekend at one of Trump's properties in New Jersey. There are some observers who feel that Romney, being a patriot, might well take the job, with the former Massachusetts governor probably coming to the conclusion that doing that would be for the good of the country. Donna and I spoke about the possibility of Romney becoming Secretary of State this morning and we both felt he would be a wise choice for the position, and that such an appointment would send a good and reassuring message both to the American people and to the world.
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
      A name that has been mentioned for a cabinet appointment by president elect Trump is 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney who is being talked about for the post of Secretary of State. As you may recall, Romney held a news conference some months before the election in which he said Trump was unqualified to be president and knew nothing about foreign policy. It thus may seem surprising that Romney is being mentioned for the nation's top diplomatic post. The two men are set to meet over the weekend at one of Trump's properties in New Jersey. There are some observers who feel that Romney, being a patriot, might well take the job, with the former Massachusetts governor probably coming to the conclusion that doing that would be for the good of the country. Donna and I spoke about the possibility of Romney becoming Secretary of State this morning and we both felt he would be a wise choice for the position, and that such an appointment would send a good and reassuring message both to the American people and to the world.
      Interesting and thanks for posting Chris. I agree.

One thing that has surprised me with Trump is that he certainly dosnt hold a grudge. first Cruz now Romney.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
        Oddly enough there might have been (could still be) a position for Dr. Carson. Trump could appoint him Surgeon General. Not a bad choice if he did. He's conservative, as was Reagan's find for that post, Dr. C. Everett Koop, but Dr. Koop turned out to be a good and respected Surgeon General.
        Carson might be one too, if chosen.

Jeff
        Likely to be a showdown between him and Dr. Oz. Pistols at dawn style...

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
          Was only teasing, Caz.

As it turns out I was born and bred in the country and remain a country lad at heart, and I've been to Herefordshire and a few other counties that way and to me they're absolute bliss. In terms of landscapes the only thing I like more than fields, rolling hills, hedges and sheep is the coast; and I'm fortunate enough to be from the North East coast.

As for jam and cricket, I've done my fair share of enjoying both and so we do have a few things in common!

And, when it comes to chatting to Northerners in pubs, be careful not to look them in the eyes - they'll want money from you. You've seen Hitchcock's "The Birds", that's what Northerners are like when we set eyes on you well-to-do folk!
          Hi FM,

Teasing's good. If I tease I expect to be teased back.

I have always adored the seaside - although I loved living in London too. Now I count myself incredibly lucky to have retired to the coast in the South West. We get plenty of people moving here from the Midlands, not so many Northerners, but I wasn't teasing about accents. I love 'em all and consider myself quite good at pinning down where a person comes from as soon as they open their cakehole.

Have a great weekend.

Love,

Caz
          X

PS Not sure you'd like my taste in frocks!
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            Thanks, Caz. Their father would hide under their skirts? Hmmmmmmm.
            You always come up with some good ones, Caz. I seem to remember one I particularly liked -- something about a big girls sweater? What was that one?

c.d.
            Hi c.d,

Big girl's blouse.

Not you, I hasten to add, but the expression you may be recalling:

A male displaying percieved feminine characteristics through actions which cause his peers to think less of him.Being a big girls blouse is much worse than being just a girls blouse, thus it's highly insulting nature.Also used to force a man to do something they fear through peer pressure.

A derogatory term used for a man who is a pussy or in nicer terms, a wuss, sissy or coward.

Love,

Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              LOL. Hillary Clingon! love it.
              No worries and I appreciate your frankness. At least you didn't call us all sexists or racists or whatever "ist" gets thrown around waaaaay to easily these days.

It was a tough and bitter race with a lot of hard feelings, so I actually can understand some of the response.

yes-I voted for Trump. Well, held my nose and voted for him anyway. But not after staring at the names on the ballot for a while.

mainly for the reasons Patrick stated above. It was basically the lesser of two evils sort of thing, and I almost didn't vote at all. and I dearly hope I don't regret it-I want him to succeed because I want us, America, to succeed. Id say the same thing if Hillary would have won.

full disclosure. I'm registered Independent. there is no party for me. I feel strongly for and against major planks in both parties. I vote for whoever candidate I think will make a better president and who I like better. I voted for Obama and think he did a good job first term-second go round not so much.

and I agree with you about the dynasties-that's part of how the corruption and mutual back scratching starts, which I, like many of my fellow Americans think is out of hand. Ive been saying from the beginning do we really want another Bush or Clinton in the White House. Ive also said from the beginning I don't like either candidate, Hillary or Trump, but in the end I dislike Trump less. Kind of sad I know, but there you go. So now hes president and I hope he does a good job.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he does, but I promise if he blows up the world, Ill be the first to raise my hand and admit I was an idiot for voting for him. ; )

I see from your profile your a civil servant, so thank you for your service and dedication to public life.
              You are welcome for my service and dedication. If anyone, having watched the old (now it's old!) BBC comedy "Yes Minister" gets an impression from it that bureaucracy is king, the series barely scratches the realities of the inner fighting and cliques inside every civil service. I worked for New York State 31 years, and did get my pension. I also saw more backstabbing in the civil service (especially in the upper ranks - the sort that Nigel Hawthorne's "Sir Humphrey" inhabited) than one can imagine. Every chief of every agency sees himself or herself as an empire builder, and the lower ranks (your's truly) are the bricks to build their pyramid empires upon. The work was good, and the pension worth it, but the aggravation certainly not.

In my opinion it was the worst Presidential farce since I started voting in national elections in 1972, and that was the year of Watergate and Senator Eagleton. I even consider the "boat people" brigade against Kerry, and the problems of the Florida "chads" election returns of 2000 lesser than seeing two candidates who won that nobody could stand.

Lesser of two evils? Precisely, no matter who would have won (as each would have had a majority backing).

From personal knowledge I cannot trust Trump. However the knowledge (though I believed the source) was hearsay. So I could not say anything.

For the record I am a registered Democrat since 1972, but in 1980 (not caring for Reagan - who in more recent years I've come to think of better; or Carter for his second run (ditto Carter, though for post-Presidential work - ironically)), I voted for the third party candidate John Anderson. I voted for Bill Clinton in 1992, as I could not stand Ross Perot. But in 1996 I did not vote for Clinton for re-election, as I did not really consider he accomplished much in four years. I voted for Robert Dole that year. And I have occasionally voted against Democrats and even for some Republicans who are friends of mine (one is always trying to get a judgeship, but so far hasn't). In the New York State primary in April for the Presidency, I voted for Bernie Sanders. And in 2008's New York State primary, I supported Barack Obama - and voted for him for President twice (2008, 2012). The wobbly foreign policy mistakes (partially Hillary's call too, by the way) seemed less troublesome than Mitt Romney's attitudes in 2012.

Jeff
              Last edited by Mayerling; 11-18-2016, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• There are some shocking reports about how fake news stories on Facebook might have affected the outcome of the U.S. Presidential election.

See https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...ws-on-facebook

Facebook fake-news writer: ‘I think Donald Trump is in the White House because of me’

What do the Amish lobby, gay wedding vans and the ban of the national anthem have in common? For starters, they’re all make-believe — and invented by the same man.

Paul Horner, the 38-year-old impresario of a Facebook fake-news empire, has made his living off viral news hoaxes for several years. He has twice convinced the Internet that he’s British graffiti artist Banksy; he also published the very viral, very fake news of a Yelp vs. “South Park” lawsuit last year.

But in recent months, Horner has found the fake-news ecosystem growing more crowded, more political and vastly more influential: In March, Donald Trump’s son Eric and his then-campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, even tweeted links to one of Horner’s faux-articles. His stories have also appeared as news on Google. . . .

Read on: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...because-of-me/
                Christopher T. George

Comment

• Meanwhile, Trump's redesign of the White House continues at a pace --

Christopher T. George

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                    Hi FM,

Teasing's good. If I tease I expect to be teased back.

I have always adored the seaside - although I loved living in London too. Now I count myself incredibly lucky to have retired to the coast in the South West. We get plenty of people moving here from the Midlands, not so many Northerners, but I wasn't teasing about accents. I love 'em all and consider myself quite good at pinning down where a person comes from as soon as they open their cakehole.

Have a great weekend.

Love,

Caz
                    X

PS Not sure you'd like my taste in frocks!
                    Hi Caz,

South West coast eh?

I've been lucky enough to visit many countries around the world, on different continents, and in the process seen a few of what are generally deemed to be wonders of the world.

But, of all the places I've ever been, the ones that I enjoyed most and think most fondly of, are my home County Durham, the North East coast, North Yorkshire coast, e.g. Staithes and Whitby; but most of all Cornwall.

Not sure if you're in Cornwall, but assuming you are then that's very fortunate, or good planning depending upon point of view. What an outstanding place.

Comment

• We are getting ready for Thanksgiving here in the United States. Here's a church sign in Hyannis, Massachusetts.

Christopher T. George

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                        We are getting ready for Thanksgiving here in the United States. Here's a church sign in Hyannis, Massachusetts.

What mess? If its about our new president-
                        So much for separation of church and state.

That sign says more about that church than whoever it's trying to blame.

Sad.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

What mess? If its about our new president-
                          So much for separation of church and state.

That sign says more about that church than whoever it's trying to blame.

Sad.
                          Separation of church and state has nothing to do with what the church can say about govt, it's about no govt sponsored churches, basically in response to what had happened in England with the C of E and Catholic Church situation, and indeed has happened in many nations since with the Givt saying "This is THE Church".
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            Separation of church and state has nothing to do with what the church can say about govt, it's about no govt sponsored churches, basically in response to what had happened in England with the C of E and Catholic Church situation, and indeed has happened in many nations since with the Givt saying "This is THE Church".
                            I know all that Gut. Im a practicing Episcopalian.

But It should work both ways.

We prayed for our new president today.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I know all that Gut. Im a practicing Episcopalian.

But It should work both ways.

We prayed for our new president today.
                              You may think it should work both ways, but that's not what your laws say.

Funny it's OK for you to pray for Trump at your Church, but not for the other Church to put a sign up that could be takes as being critical of him. So much for separations (as you'd like it to be) - and freedom of speech.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                You may think it should work both ways, but that's not what your laws say.

Funny it's OK for you to pray for Trump at your Church, but not for the other Church to put a sign up that could be takes as being critical of him. So much for separations (as you'd like it to be) - and freedom of speech.
                                It has nothing to do with laws. It has to do with morals, character and I didn't say we prayed for trump did I? We prayed for our new president. If Hillary won we would have been praying for her. We have a prayers of the people part of our service where we pray for a whole set of people. The needy, the sick, people in prison, our church leaders, people serving overseas etc.

This being thanksgiving season we also focus on all that we have to be thankful for.

Not using it to publicly whine like some petty sore loser.

Like I said sad. And sad that members here perpetuate this childish petty nonsense. We get it your side lost and you don't like it. Now grow up and if you really care about it get off your lazy ass and do something constructive and positive.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X