Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Fisherman 1 hour and 26 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Wickerman 7 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Wickerman 7 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - by Wickerman 8 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by DJA 9 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by packers stem 9 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (56 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - (15 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (9 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (7 posts)
Levy, Jacob: Jacob the Ripper - (5 posts)
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Books > Non-Fiction

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #101  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 11,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Uterus taken away. Very, very unusual.

Heart taken away. Very, very unusual.

Cut from sternum to groin. Very unusual.

Abdominal wall removed in flaps. Almost unheard of.
You're ignoring the specifics and over-generalising.
Quote:
Londoners, both of them.
Eh? Oh, you mean they lived in London. Yes, at opposite ends of the city, where they also died.
Quote:
Killed within a period of eight months.
The torso murders ran for over a decade. What we have here is an overlap, not two co-terminous series of crimes.
Quote:
Both young women.
As are many victims of prostitute killers. You (rightly) noted that prostitutes were often murder victims, so why not this dismiss this criterion for similar reasons?
Quote:
Extreme overkill. Rare.
Jackson was extreme overkill? No - Kelly was extreme overkill; Jackson got off lightly.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Last edited by Sam Flynn : 12-06-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:10 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
You're ignoring the specifics and over-generalising.
Eh? Oh, you mean they lived in London. Yes, at opposite ends of the city, where they also died.
The torso murders ran for over a decade. What we have here is an overlap, not two co-terminous series of crimes.
As are many victims of prostitute killers. You (rightly) noted that prostitutes were often murder victims, so why not this dismiss this criterion for similar reasons?
Jackson was extreme overkill? No - Kelly was extreme overkill; Jackson got off lightly.
Hi Sam
Quote:
You're ignoring the specifics and over-generalising.

i dont know removing the heart, cutting away abdomin in sections etc. seem pretty darn specific to me.


Quote:
Eh? Oh, you mean they lived in London. Yes, at opposite ends of the city, where they also died.

Jackson was last heard of sleeping rough on the embankment, but we don't know exactly where she lived-any way hardly at opposite ends of the city, either way though its moot because we don't know where torsoman picked her up-may well have been WC for all we know.

but triple set moot point any way because yes same city-not like one was in London and the other was in Liverpool.

Quote:
The torso murders ran for over a decade. What we have here is an overlap, not two co-terminous series of crimes.
did you mean to say contemperous? because actually they were both "co-terminous"-both series ended at the same time-which is a much bigger coincidence then any overlap of the series.

actually I think this point gets overlooked alot by the seperate series crowd. ive never seen a good explanation for it, or even an attempt for that matter.


Quote:
As are many victims of prostitute killers. You (rightly) noted that prostitutes were often murder victims, so why not this dismiss this criterion for similar reasons?

simply because its same victimology. theres a boatload of different victimology. both here targeted youngish female prostitutes.

if torsoman targeted a different victim type, it would be game over, for me anyway.

Quote:
Jackson was extreme overkill? No - Kelly was extreme overkill; Jackson got off lightly.

you've got to be kidding with this one, sam
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 11,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
you've got to be kidding with this one, sam
Jackson was cut into a few large chunks. Kelly was almost completely shredded, hacked out of all proportion or recognition.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Fisherman Fisherman is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 18,550
Default

Sam Flynn: You're ignoring the specifics and over-generalising.

What you call "specifics" are nothing but guesswork on your behalf. No two cases will be exactly alike - but when there are REAL specifics like uterus removal, heart removal and the removal of abdominal walls involved, it is not our task to try our hardest to find possible reasons to dismiss them. The only realistic approach is to accept how we are almost certainly dealing with a common killer and then to produce any evidence that speaks for another solution. And musing about how pregnancy MAY - COULD - POSSIBLY - PERHAPS played a role is no such evidence.

Eh? Oh, you mean they lived in London. Yes, at opposite ends of the city, where they also died.

Since you now claim to know this, you are welcome to produce the addresses. Alternatively, you can own up to having jumped the gun.

The torso murders ran for over a decade. What we have here is an overlap, not two co-terminous series of crimes.

Dahmer spent nine years inbetween his first and his second murder. Others have done the same, roughly. But I am pleased to hear that you accept that the 1873 and 1874 murders are part of the torso series.

As are many victims of prostitute killers. You (rightly) noted that prostitutes were often murder victims, so why not this dismiss this criterion for similar reasons?

I listed similarities. It is a similarity. What else do you want me to strike off the list, Gareth? The flaps?

Jackson was extreme overkill? No - Kelly was extreme overkill; Jackson got off lightly

I stand corrected. Of course being cut up in little pieces and having a set of inner organs extracted from your body is no overkill, it is "getting off lightly". Ehrm!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Fisherman Fisherman is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 18,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Jackson was cut into a few large chunks. Kelly was almost completely shredded, hacked out of all proportion or recognition.
Both cases are extreme examples of overkill nevertheless. I could say that Kelly got off lightly since she was not cut up in pieces - but I would not say something that dumb. Both women were victims of grotesque overkill, end of.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 12-07-2018, 01:57 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 11,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
i dont know removing the heart, cutting away abdomin in sections etc. seem pretty darn specific to me.
The specifics are that Jackson's heart and lungs (possibly "heart-and-lungs" as one entity) were removed, whereas only Kelly's heart was taken out.

The specifics are that in only one torso case was the abdomen cut open in two slips which were limited in extent, almost certainly so as to remove the foetus and the uterus in which it resided. In contrast, Kelly's abdomen was laid entirely open from one side to the other, and from rib-cage to pelvis, by the removal of three large - by which I mean huge - flaps of flesh.

Specifically, Kelly's whole abdomen was excavated and all the organs removed, which is not remotely the case with Jackson or any of the other torso victims, whose internal organs (thoracic or abdominal) went almost completely unscathed.
Quote:
Jackson was last heard of sleeping rough on the embankment, but we don't know exactly where she lived-any way hardly at opposite ends of the city, either way though its moot because we don't know where torsoman picked her up-may well have been WC for all we know.
Again, let's look at the specifics. All the torso victims bar one were dumped in the West of London, and that includes Jackson. Whether they lived there or not - and most, if not all of them, probably did - that's almost certainly where they were "processed" prior to being disposed of.
Quote:
did you mean to say contemperous? because actually they were both "co-terminous"-both series ended at the same time-which is a much bigger coincidence then any overlap of the series.
I meant co-terminous. The East End "ripping-and-eviscerating" murders started in August 1888 and ended in November 1888, whereas the torso crimes started before then and continued on afterwards.

Let's look at the frequencies. From May 1887 to Sept 1889 (I'll leave out the 1873 case, because that makes the hit-rate even more pathetic), just over 864 days, four torso victims were found - that's an average rate of 1 murder every 212 days. With the canonical Ripper murders, five victims were claimed in a period of 70 days, at a staggering average of 1 murder every 14 days. That's one hell of a difference.
Quote:
simply because its same victimology. theres a boatload of different victimology. both here targeted youngish female prostitutes.
Only one ripping-and-eviscerating victim, Kelly, was young; the majority of "ripped" victims were in their 40s. As far as we know, this was not the case with the torso victims. Besides, we all know that prostitutes/unfortunates are common targets for murderers, so we can't read too much into victimology.

Even when we consider the unfortunates who died in the Whitechapel Murder series, most of us accept that Jack the Ripper wasn't responsible for them all. It follows that, in the years 1888-91, there were certainly independent killers of unfortunates operating within the confines of Whitechapel itself. If we extend the net to cover the whole of London, and extend the timescale back to 1873, then there's plenty of scope for one or more torso killers to have been at large, entirely independent of either the canonical Ripper or the perpetrators of the other Whitechapel Murders.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 12-07-2018, 04:46 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 18,550
Default

Sam Flynn: The specifics are that Jackson's heart and lungs (possibly "heart-and-lungs" as one entity) were removed, whereas only Kelly's heart was taken out.

So, for you, how Jackson also had her lungs taken out nullifies the suggestion that there was just the one killer? Jackson had her limbs taken off, Kelly didn't, so it cannot be the same man?
Let me assure you, Gareth, that matters like these ar mere trivialities. There is an eight month time scope between the slaying, and they both involve taken out hearts and uteri and taken away abdominal walls. The kind of killer who would do such a thing are nut mushrooms, growing in large schools. They are incredibly rare.
There are differences between ALL murder victims. You say that Kelly did not have her lungs taken out like Jackson did, and you use that to "prove" two killers. How about Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes and Stride - none of them had their hearts taken out at all, so how on earth could they have the same originator as Kelly did? Isn't it madness to even suggest such a thing?
The sooner you manage to get your head out of the sand and stop inventing excuses, the sooner we will make some progress. Well, YOU will, many of the rest of us are already in the know.

The specifics are that in only one torso case was the abdomen cut open in two slips which were limited in extent, almost certainly so as to remove the foetus and the uterus in which it resided. In contrast, Kelly's abdomen was laid entirely open from one side to the other, and from rib-cage to pelvis, by the removal of three large - by which I mean huge - flaps of flesh.

These are the "specifics" you choose to see, whereas other specifics are something you prefer to try and sweep under the carpet. And you have the audacity to claim that it its almost a certainty that the abdominal wall sections taken from Jackson we're removed on account of her pregnancy. It is speculation, and nothing else.
And it is fine to speculate! But what must be prioritized is a strict division between facts and mere and obvious speculation. The "specifics" you speak of seems to be linked to idle speculation all the time - Jackson was pregnant, so THAT was why the killer removed the abdominal wall. Speculation - he may have had that reason and he may not have. "Almost certainly" does not enter any honest discussion. The suggestion can be put forward, but not in any way as a proven fact - or as a "near certainty".
Regardless of how much value you ascribe to your own ingenuity, you at least manage to keep your nose over the water so as to admit that you cannot prove it. All you can do is to baselessly claim it is almost a certainty. Well, as long as it is NO certainty, it is something that does not even enter the factual basis for how we must reason. The factual basis involves only the matter that both Kelly and Jackson had their uteri taken out and that taken out uteri is something that is incredibly rare. So there you are. All the blustering and guesswork in the world cannot help your cause.
Leading on that you know the actual sizes of the flaps from Jackson and Kelly and that you are able to compare them will only worsen your case and show what it is worth - based on falsities and guesswork as it is. Now, either you produce PROOF that you know the shapes and sizes of the flaps or you admit that you are making up bedtime stories and presenting them as the truth. It is the kind of shameful thing that should disqualify any person who enters this bog of desinformation, and you are no exception.

Specifically, Kelly's whole abdomen was excavated and all the organs removed, which is not remotely the case with Jackson or any of the other torso victims, whose internal organs (thoracic or abdominal) went almost completely unscathed.
Again, let's look at the specifics. All the torso victims bar one were dumped in the West of London, and that includes Jackson. Whether they lived there or not - and most, if not all of them, probably did - that's almost certainly where they were "processed" prior to being disposed of.I meant co-terminous. The East End "ripping-and-eviscerating" murders started in August 1888 and ended in November 1888, whereas the torso crimes started before then and continued on afterwards.

There's the next "almost certainly". PROVE it, Gareth, but don't expect me to swallow it, hair and hide!
It also applies that REGARDLESS if they WERE "processed" in the western parts of the town, it does not make the similarities go away. So if we KNEW that the torsos were processed in the West End, in Rainham, in Camden Town or in the garden of Buckingham Palace, we would not be left with the idea of two illers anyway - we would be left with the insight that the killer processed his torso vifctims elsewhere than in Whitechapel. And we would still be looking at the same killer anyway.

Let's look at the frequencies. From May 1887 to Sept 1889 (I'll leave out the 1873 case, because that makes the hit-rate even more pathetic), just over 864 days, four torso victims were found - that's an average rate of 1 murder every 212 days. With the canonical Ripper murders, five victims were claimed in a period of 70 days, at a staggering average of 1 murder every 14 days. That's one hell of a difference.

"One hell of a difference" can never be so much of a hellish difference so as to make the similarities go away. Moreover, we have absolutely no idea what the common originator did on the OTHER days. There is no need to accept that he was idle - but even if he was, the similarities do not go away on account of that. Whatever dissimilarity or anomaly you dig up, that remains - all it does is to call upon us to realize that in spite of how all the deeds could have been exactly similar, they are not, and so we need to accept that there was always a reason behind the dissimilarities, and in all probability a very simple and/or logical one, once we knew it. "I carefully took out the heart and the lungs from one woman who I had in my basement for some time, cutting away at her, and prior to that, I had taken out the heart of another woman in a court off Dorset Street. I was a bit less careful there, and more like ripped the heart out from her".
Oooooh! Big deal!! SURELY it cannot be THAT simple?

Only one ripping-and-eviscerating victim, Kelly, was young; the majority of "ripped" victims were in their 40s. As far as we know, this was not the case with the torso victims. Besides, we all know that prostitutes/unfortunates are common targets for murderers, so we can't read too much into victimology.

Well, if you can read in an "almost certainty" into how the torso killer cut the flaps from Jacksons abdomen on account of her pregnancy (and you think he did so by taking away two very narrow strips of flesh??? ), then I fail to see how it would not be much more useful to have THE PROVEN FACT that the victims were prostitutes in both series as a point of potentially very large importance!
Because it is not fair?
Because it points in a direction you don't want it to?
Because you make the rules?

I see.

Even when we consider the unfortunates who died in the Whitechapel Murder series, most of us accept that Jack the Ripper wasn't responsible for them all.

And how would that alter the similarities inbetween Kelly and Jackson, for example? If other murders were unrelated, then so must these two be?

It follows that, in the years 1888-91, there were certainly independent killers of unfortunates operating within the confines of Whitechapel itself. If we extend the net to cover the whole of London, and extend the timescale back to 1873, then there's plenty of scope for one or more torso killers to have been at large, entirely independent of either the canonical Ripper or the perpetrators of the other Whitechapel Murders.

Yes, there is scope for millions of killers, given the time frame and the geographical boundaries set.

It is not until we add the taken out hearts, the taken out uteri and the taken away abdominal flaps that this goes away. Didn't you go on about how we need to look at the specifics? Apparently, that urge of yours was never vital to this question.
One has to ask oneself why? Why are the specifics all-important on occasion while they instead need to be kept out of the discussion on others?


You have not made a single point of value so far. Is that going to change anytime soon? Or are you going to bang on about how victims who have their hearts taken out must have separate killers if their lungs are not treated in the same way in both cases? Oh, sorry - not "must have", you are not that sure of it. You only make the humble claim of a near certainty...
Given how I understand that you for the longest time even claimed that there was no evidence that Jackson had her uterus removed by her killer (how on God´s green earth did you DO that, Gareth...?), I entertain very little hope of any improvement. But I won't leave the debate without giving it my best shot!

Last edited by Fisherman : 12-07-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 12-07-2018, 05:22 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 11,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman
And how would that alter the similarities inbetween Kelly and Jackson, for example?
It wouldn't alter the similarities, nor the far more numerous dissimilarities.

And what's with "Jackson, for example"? It's not as if the other torso victims (or Jackson herself, for that matter) were treated in a manner remotely like the victims of Jack the Ripper.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-07-2018, 05:25 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 11,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman
These are the "specifics" you choose to see
No. Those are the specifics, period.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-07-2018, 05:28 AM
Kattrup Kattrup is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Denmark
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
or

Besides, we all know that prostitutes/unfortunates are common targets for murderers, so we can't read too much into victimology.
In any case, perhaps too much is already being read into victimology, since only one of the torso women is known to have been a prostitute.

I don’t think there’s evidence the others were? rather there’s evidence to suggest they were not unfortunates

So claiming JtR and TK both targeted prostitutes is based on Jackson only, isn’t it?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.