Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wonīt kill in Whitechapel? - by Darryl Kenyon 23 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wonīt kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 55 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wonīt kill in Whitechapel? - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wonīt kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wonīt kill in Whitechapel? - by Harry D 5 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Lawrence - by etenguy 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wonīt kill in Whitechapel? - (20 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (6 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Lawrence - (2 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Nihilist Club ie. Berner Street - (1 posts)
General Discussion: Ripper was several people... - (1 posts)
Letters and Communications: I'm not a butcher, I'm not a Yid...... - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 10-19-2018, 01:22 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Geographical profiling, but it has it's limitations, particularly when more than one perpetrator is operating in the same area. Moreover, presumably the same analysis would also identify Emma Smith as a victim, ad she was assaulted close to where Tabram was murdered. Okay, I know she claimed to have been attacked by a gang, but that in itself adds weight to the theory that more than one individual was responsible for the Whitechapel murders.
Tom Wescott's book delves into this and it looks like Smith and her "witnesses" may have been lying to protect somebody and the same lying happened with Tabram's murder.

BTW, JtR could have been a gang member, no problem. Then he goes ronin. Could explain the experience in getting them prostrate without a sound.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:27 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
So in effect Hutchison dropped the most incriminating piece of evidence a mere couple of ninutes walk from where he was apparently living at the time of the murders. Do you think this is likely?
sure-in a city that dense. now I don't think whoever dropped it lived in the wentworth building or even on that street. THAT would be too close.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:29 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
So in effect Hutchison dropped the most incriminating piece of evidence a mere couple of ninutes walk from where he was apparently living at the time of the murders. Do you think this is likely?
A question I asked myself a number of times! Then again, I do not belong to the ones who regard the Victoria Home as Hutchinsons regular joint...
Old 10-19-2018, 01:30 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
We haven't forgotten. You are currently engaged in defending that position in another thread with questions like why is he shouting to call people over if he has just murdered someone. People who testified to trying to avoid him because the area was so dark.

If geographic mapping pointed to the home of your Professor Plum with the lead pipe in the ballroom, you would be doing summersaults... but it obviously isn't.

Fitting suspects to all the evidence and not just some evidence to a suspect is how investigations move forward. This geographic profile is probably evidence and your suspect doesn't fit in. That suspect bias stuff is an automatic set of blinders when it comes to evidence. The amount that gets dismissed as coincidence is absurd.

It's interesting how many people who believe in coincidences now need this geographic profile to be yet another coincidence.
but it dosnt point to your favored suspect chapman though does it?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 10-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Tom Wescott's book delves into this and it looks like Smith and her "witnesses" may have been lying to protect somebody and the same lying happened with Tabram's murder.

BTW, JtR could have been a gang member, no problem. Then he goes ronin. Could explain the experience in getting them prostrate without a sound.
no it dosnt. serial killers, especially the rare post mortem mutilators, are singular-none got their starts in a gang. its a very private, singular thing.

and don't bring up tandem killers like the hillside stranglers, Lake and Ng(sp) or the canadien couple.
dosnt count and especially becaue tandem killers tend to be torturers, rapists and all interest is pre mortem.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Last edited by Abby Normal : 10-19-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
We haven't forgotten. You are currently engaged in defending that position in another thread with questions like why is he shouting to call people over if he has just murdered someone. People who testified to trying to avoid him because the area was so dark.

If geographic mapping pointed to the home of your Professor Plum with the lead pipe in the ballroom, you would be doing summersaults... but it obviously isn't.

Fitting suspects to all the evidence and not just some evidence to a suspect is how investigations move forward. This geographic profile is probably evidence and your suspect doesn't fit in. That suspect bias stuff is an automatic set of blinders when it comes to evidence. The amount that gets dismissed as coincidence is absurd.

It's interesting how many people who believe in coincidences now need this geographic profile to be yet another coincidence.
You donīt have to tell me about coincidences, Batman. Or Scobie: "When the coincidences mount up - and they do in his case - it becomes one coincidence too many."

Then again, we may of course like some coincidences more than others.
Regardless of that, no other suspect compares to Lechmere in the genre. Not by a country mile.

But as I said, back to geoprofiling, congenially described a few posts back: "Geoprofiling can be a hit or a miss".

Wow. Just wow.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:50 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
no it dosnt. serial killers, especially the rare post mortem mutilators, are singular-none got their starts in a gang. its a very private, singular thing.

and don't bring up tandem killers like the hillside stranglers, Lake and Ng(sp) or the canadien couple.
dosnt count and especially becaue tandem killers tend to be torturers, rapists and all interest is pre mortem.
What about Rose and Fred West? And Duffy and Mulchay threatened to mutilate one of their victims.

Tabram wasn't mutilated post mortem, which would tend to rule her out if post mortem mutilation was the primary objective.

Last edited by John G : 10-19-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
What about Rose and Fred West? And Duffy and Mulchay threatened to mutilate one of their victims.

Tabram wasn't mutilated post mortem, which would tend to rule her out if post mortem mutilation was the primary objective.
As I said, one goes look. DNA dragnets either hit or miss for example. Here we have looked and we have found some things.

I'm not going to ignore it, even if I had a super-duper suspect.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:59 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
but it dosnt point to your favored suspect chapman though does it?
Chapman is a good suspect. I think Kozminski a good suspect also. I don't think I have a favoured one at all and I won't let that get in the way of a good geographic profile either.

Having said that Chapman does have a connection to this I think. A place of business. A barber's shop in the basement of the White Hart Pub, in George Yard. Which is just below the hot zone.

Make of that coincidence what you will
Old 10-19-2018, 02:08 PM
Superintendent

Quote:

Are you sure there are no cases of a duo splitting up for example and one going off on their own, even if they hook back up later?