Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by packers stem 1 minute ago.
Non-Fiction: The New Jack the Ripper A-Z - by Abby Normal 19 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Scott Nelson 1 hour and 5 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by packers stem 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Fisherman 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (76 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - (15 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (7 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (5 posts)
Levy, Jacob: Jacob the Ripper - (5 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Hutchinson, George

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #381  
Old 07-18-2018, 04:09 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
"Further on" from Mr Wideawake meant "further west in Dorset Street". Lewis didnt see the couple enter the Court, nor was anybody in the Court either - indeed, on the latter point, she explicitly said so.
"Further on" merely means "ahead of me" no distance is implied.
This couple being between Lewis and Millers Court is just as viable, and it is consistent with the rest of her testimony. Whereas, beyond Millers Court is not.
You introduce conjecture where it is not warranted.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 07-18-2018, 04:18 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
...... the fact remains that the picture was not as clear-cut as you make out, and the inquest was a few days away. The time of death had by no means been established as definitely after 9AM,....
I never said it was clear cut, neither did I say it was established. Those are your words not mine.
Kelly being seen alive late on Friday morning was widely published, more so than any other story.

Quote:
.....or any other time for that matter, and Hutchinson's alleged sighting of his pretty friend
Where does he say they were friends?

Quote:
with a suspicious looking guy who accompanied her to her room in the early morning of her death was assuredly something that could have been of interest to the police - it's not as if the sightings of "Kennedy/Lewis" Prater or Cox were suppressed
"Assuredly", by whom?
The police did tell the witnesses to say nothing about what they knew. For some reason only Kennedy broke her silence.
Maybe that is another reason she was not selected for the inquest. Macdonald was more of a stickler than Baxter.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 07-18-2018, 04:34 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post


Ben mentions Bob Hinton.Bob set a challenge to anyone to duplicate Hutchinson's feat, where he(Bob) would set the test.No one,especially those that declare it can be done,to my knowledge,have accepted
I couldn't walk a tight-rope either, and I don't know anyone who can. So, I guess nobody can?

My wife, now there's another story.
She can remember every hotel we stayed in, in Florida, over the years.
She can tell me what I ate in a hotel restaurant 15+ years ago. The layout of the rooms we stayed in, the curtains. The bed, whether too soft or hard (a particular peeve of hers), and so on.
Yet, this is the same woman who cannot find her keys, looses her purse, and I've lost count how many hair brushes she has had to buy.
This is the difference between Long-term memory, and Short-term memory.

So, because I live with this every day, I see nothing wrong with what Hutchinson claimed to see.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 07-18-2018, 04:36 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 11,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
"Further on" merely means "ahead of me" no distance is implied.
Wrong. Mr Wideawake, stationed opposite the entrance to Miller's Court, gives us a clear point of triangulation, and the couple were "further on" than him. That means further west along Dorset Street.

Plus, Lewis saw nobody in Miller's Court, and said so explicitly.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 07-18-2018, 04:37 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Quite right, Abby.

I think however much some of us dismiss the idea of a guilty Hutchinson coming forward on the grounds that it would be imprudent to do so, at least according to their (presumably non-sociopathic) logic, it remains a reality that serial killers have been noted to inject themselves into their own investigations, and in circumstances very similar to what has been proposed of Hutchinson.

Experts in laws enforcement are so familiar with this strategy that they even lay traps to “flush out” their serialist quarry in anticipation of them resorting to it, in some form. Expert opinion and historical precedent must always supersede the layman’s rationale as to what X or Y killer “ought” to have done in a such or such a predicament.

Cheers,
Ben
Hey Ben
Long time no see! Welcome back!
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 07-18-2018, 04:44 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Devon UK
Posts: 6,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
He was there, he engaged in stalking behavior...
One instance is not evidence of stalking behaviour, Abby, especially as Hutch's interest seems to have been entirely focused on the flashy Jewish looking man picked up by Kelly, and not on Kelly herself.

Quote:
...he has an unbeleivable suspect/story, he waits till the inquest is over to come forward. he has no alibi. His jewish suspect is the only jewish implication/evidence other than the night of the double event-hes the only witness to dirctly implicate a jew.
Abberline believed in his suspect/story.

He may not have come forward before because he had assumed Kelly was killed much later in the morning and her encounter with Flash Harry was unconnected.

Of course he had no alibi - making it crazy for him to come forward if he was the killer or thought the police could make a case for it.

If Flash Harry looked Jewish, what was Hutch supposed to say - that he didn't?

Quote:
Is it really so crazy a theory that hutch as the ripper, knows mary,even casually as someone who lives in the immediate area and knows prostitutes, maybe even has heard she is recently single (hes staying a stones throw away in the victoria house) and is keeping an eye out for her. maybe goes by her place? shes occupied, so he waits a while. leaves, comes back to find her guest is gone-you know the rest.
We don't know he was staying at the Victoria Home before he went down to Romford, or even if he spent most of his time in Whitechapel, but he could have worked out for himself that Kelly was probably single at the time if she was asking him for money and then took Flash Harry back to her room!

Quote:
later worries he may have been spotted-so comes forward as a witness-better than being sought out as a suspect. And runs with the jewish suspect angle?
That's the bit I can't accept. If he has already offed several women without mishap, he'd have been all too aware of his surroundings when 'stalking' Kelly, and made sure he kept his head well down, so he could spot who was around without anyone getting a good look at him. When exactly would it have dawned on him that he may have been careless enough to let someone spot him - to the extent that they would know him again and tell a policeman? Do you honestly think he'd have hung around outside the inquest, to find out if anyone mentioned seeing someone who looked just like him?? Did he take precautions and go in disguise, so that when he learned that a woman called Sarah Lewis had indeed spotted him, she wouldn't immediately recognise him on her way out?

Quote:
It all ties together logically for me.
Really?

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 07-18-2018, 04:54 AM
Ben Ben is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,843
Default

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for the kind welcome back - good to be corresponding again.

On the subject of lighting and Widewake man’s vantage point in relation to Lewis, I can firstly assure you that the distance between the two was nowhere near as great as “25 feet”.

Secondly, I suggested that Hutchinson may have been able simply to recognise Lewis again, not memorise each and every minute detail of her appearance and clothing, as he claimed to have done with Astrakhan man. It was the latter feat of observational genius that the inadequate lighting obviously could not have allowed for.

If he had referenced the colour of her eyelashes, the material of her dress, and the number of buttons on her boots, then we’d have a problem.

Even more tellingly regarding the timing of his appearance at Commercial Street police station, it corresponded exactly with the moment the opportunity for him to be questioned in a public setting disappeared forever. The idea of that being a mere coincidence is borderline impossible, as far as I’m concerned.

As for the “Sunday policeman”, you resort to the same excuse for his total inaction that you use for Hutchinson; that they were so transfixed on the reports of a later morning time of death that they both opted for mysterious silence on the matter, instead of imparting what could be crucial evidence.

I’m with Gareth here in failing to see the slightest bit of sense in this, I’m afraid.

First you claim that Hutchinson’s inertia in coming forward following the Kelly murder was due to his faith in some sort of prevailing belief that Kelly was murdered after 9.00am, and now you suggest that the mystery Sunday policeman didn’t even bother to make a note of Hutchinson’s account for the same reason.

Problem is, there was no such “prevailing belief”, and there was no way - absolutely no way - that Hutchinson or anyone else reading the media coverage of the Kelly murder on the 9th and 10th November would come away with the impression that Kelly was probably killed in the later morning. The early morning time of death was covered far, far more extensively that the late morning version suggested by Maurice Lewis and Maxwell. Even the Lewis-plagiariser "Mrs. Kennedy” was covered in a great many newspapers on the 10th November, and the chances of Hutchinson missing this - if indeed he was reading any newspapers at all - were slim to non-existent.

In addition, he lived in the Victoria Home, which was a few hundred yards from the crime scene. He wouldn't have been able to take more than about ten footsteps out of the front door without being alerted to the fact that another mutilation murder had occurred in Miller's Court where'd he'd been just a few hours earlier, and that's assuming he didn't hear about it in the lodging house itself before he even had a chance to leave it.

But despite this reality, you remain oddly insistent that Hutchinson withheld his potentially vital evidence for good reason, choosing instead to wait for the press coverage to see if his sighting of the victim with a strange man on the morning of her death was "relevant"? And that after reading Maurice Lewis' account and somehow managing to miss the enormous wealth of media coverage indicating an earlier time of death, he decided it wasn't?!?

Not a chance. Not even a vague whiff of one.

All the best,
Ben
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 07-18-2018, 04:55 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Devon UK
Posts: 6,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
To me, the very existance of this thread amply demonstrates why a person would hesitate before coming forward and contacting the police.
Wish I'd said that.

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old 07-18-2018, 05:02 AM
Ben Ben is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,843
Default

Quote:
I had hoped over the years we have been exchanging views that you would eventually learn to appreciate what constitutes evidence.”
I would have hoped, after all these years of exchanging views, that you would finally have seen sense and abandoned ship with the “couple-up-the-court” impossibility, but it appears you’re as stubborn as ever. And I wasn’t being “emotional” with my allusion to the total and utter absence of any support for for your contention that Lewis and Hutchinson saw the sample couple; I’m just genuinely alarmed that the solo-nature of what you espouse has never caused you once to consider a reassessment.

Yes, I agree that “all written accounts...constitute evidence”, but our task is to assess it, not uncritically accept it all as true and accurate even when one source contradicts another. In the case of Lewis’s evidence, the overwhelmingly vast majority of sources agree that the couple Lewis observed did not enter the court. Only one said otherwise - one single, solitary, erroneous newspaper.

Everyone, without a single exception, has been able to figure this out.

You’re right; it was never “realised” at the inquest that the hapless, tipsy woman was Kelly - it was patently obvious to all at the time that she was not, as evinced by the total absence of any allusion (by press or police) to a potential connection. Again, had it been otherwise, Lewis would have been asked at the very least if the hatless woman’s hair matched that on the slab at Shoreditch mortuary.

If Hutchinson passed Whitechapel church at 1.50 or 1.55, it would have taken between five and ten minutes to reach Flower and Dean Street’s western entrance. Hutchinson himself claimed that he was able to “fix the time”, not have a wild stab in the dark (that was later). Your plucked-from-nowhere times of 2.07 and 2.15 are thus too late, and require you to “stall” him, for no good reason, en route between the church and Thrawl Street.
Quote:
“The points I raised are sound, the theory was not.”
Ben is a clever and sexy bastard, whereas Jon is not.

You see how easy it is?

As I said, we’d all like to write our own reviews. I’m not interested in hearing what a good job YOU think YOU’VE done of “taking apart” every author’s theory with regard to Hutchinson.

You miss my point regarding Lawende - I’m not suggesting he was the perfect witness or acquired a perfect sighting. I’m saying he was considered more like to have seen the killer than other witnesses, including discredited Hutchinson.

I appreciate that “same” and “similar” mean different things, but guess what Lawende actually said at the inquest? That’s right; that he believed the clothes were “the same”. Not being “convinced” that the couple concerned were Eddowes and her killer does not mean they didn’t consider it more likely than not.

The only reason you dismiss the sighting is because the man described was “rough and shabby” whereas you belong in the now extreme minority who lobby for a well-dressed, outwardly creepy ghoul of outdated ripper lore.

Regards,
Ben

Last edited by Ben : 07-18-2018 at 05:07 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 07-18-2018, 05:12 AM
Premium Member
caz caz is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Devon UK
Posts: 6,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
I just cant get over the idea of hutch, after getting snubbed by Mary, lurking outside her place in the middle of the night near possible time of death.

and apparently so obsessed by her, that even his body language, as if waiting, watching for someone up the court was even so obvious to a passerby.

I mean dosnt that strike you? made the hair stand up the moment i heard of it.
But this is all highly subjective, Abby.

'Snubbed' by Mary? If anything, Mary was snubbed by Hutch, who couldn't [or wouldn't] lend/give/spare her sixpence. What was she going to do? "Oh well, the rent man can wait, Hutchy Boy. You can come back with me for free." They would have had to be very good friends in that case, wouldn't they?

Hutch said he was waiting to see if the man came out again. No evidence that he was 'obsessed' with the woman at all. So obsessed that he had been down in Romford only the day before looking for work?

Love,

Caz
X
__________________
"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov


Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.