Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • versatile

    Hello Jeff. Thanks.

    Yes, he was quite versatile.

    Cheers.
    LC

    Comment


    • Couple of additions:
      Jacobs ladder for horror/monster/thriller
      The Fall for fantasy-gorgeous movie

      Comment


      • Drama/action/suspense/adventure

        Apocalypse Now
        Fargo
        The untouchables
        Dead Again
        JFK
        Thunderball
        The right stuff
        The usual suspects
        Gone with the the wind
        Raiders of the lost ark
        Body double
        Hannibal ( I find it superior to silence of the lambs)
        Casablanca
        Body heat
        North by northwest
        LA confidential
        The cats meow
        Maltese falcon
        Peggy sue got married
        Blue velvet
        Moonstruck
        Enter the dragon
        True Romance!!!!
        The illusionist
        Saturday night fever
        Ben hur
        The game
        A river runs through it
        taxi driver
        Sound of music
        Glengarry glen Ross
        Trees lounge
        After hours

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          Drama/action/suspense/adventure

          Apocalypse Now
          Fargo
          The untouchables
          Dead Again
          JFK
          Thunderball
          The right stuff
          The usual suspects
          Gone with the the wind
          Raiders of the lost ark
          Body double
          Hannibal ( I find it superior to silence of the lambs)
          Casablanca
          Body heat
          North by northwest
          LA confidential
          The cats meow
          Maltese falcon
          Peggy sue got married
          Blue velvet
          Moonstruck
          Enter the dragon
          True Romance!!!!
          The illusionist
          Saturday night fever
          Ben hur
          The game
          A river runs through it
          taxi driver
          Sound of music
          Glengarry glen Ross
          Trees lounge
          After hours
          another great list.. this time you took one of my films that I was going to mention.. Body Double....far better film then most people remember... as most just remember the controversy about it when it came out and never actually stopped to watch it.. I think it is De Palma's best work (Scarface is WAY overrated!!!)

          Steadmund Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
            another great list.. this time you took one of my films that I was going to mention.. Body Double....far better film then most people remember... as most just remember the controversy about it when it came out and never actually stopped to watch it.. I think it is De Palma's best work (Scarface is WAY overrated!!!)

            Steadmund Brand
            Agree and agree. Pacinos overacting just takes me right out of this movie, it was a cliché as soon as it came out.

            And since we are on the subject of overated movies, here's mine. I know im going to get me head ripped off, because a lot of these are beloved and considered classics but I just cant get through these films. Anyway, this could be fun!!

            Most overated:
            Pulp Fiction-Tarantino is a dick and totally overated director-the only good thing he ever did was write True Romance. and maybe Resevoir Dogs.
            ET (For Extreme Tripe)
            The Big Chill-The Big Bummer
            A beautiful mind-A Beautiful mess. Russel Crowe and Jennifer connally as scientists-yeah right!
            Do the right thing-Do the Wrong Thing (in which everyone does)
            Pretty Woman-Pretty Awful, and she's not even pretty.
            Bonnie and Clyde-Bonnie and Warren Beatty
            Halloween-Boooooooring
            Night of the living Dead-even more boring
            Avatar-why was this movie a big deal again?

            Flak jacket on-fire away. : )
            Last edited by Abby Normal; 12-15-2014, 08:26 AM.

            Comment


            • How about a list of the Best Boxing films-- again in no order

              1-Requiem For A Heavyweight (Almost did not include as it really is NOT a film about boxing at all)
              2- Fat City
              3-the Prizefighter (Tim Conway Don Knotts comedy.. actually kind of funny!!)
              4- Body and Soul ( 1947 version)
              5- Diggstown
              6- Gentleman Jim ( gotta love Flynn)
              7- Rocky (original only!!)
              8- The Harder They Fall (dark film, and Bogarts last movie!!)
              9- Raging Bull
              10- Sombody up there Likes Me ( actually not great film.. but always great watching a young Paul Newman)
              11- the Champ ( 1931 version)
              12-The Great White Hope


              Steadmund Brand
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

              Comment


              • My favorite boxing film is The Set-Up from 1949.
                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

                Stan Reid

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                  How about a list of the Best Boxing films-- again in no order

                  1-Requiem For A Heavyweight (Almost did not include as it really is NOT a film about boxing at all)
                  2- Fat City
                  3-the Prizefighter (Tim Conway Don Knotts comedy.. actually kind of funny!!)
                  4- Body and Soul ( 1947 version)
                  5- Diggstown
                  6- Gentleman Jim ( gotta love Flynn)
                  7- Rocky (original only!!)
                  8- The Harder They Fall (dark film, and Bogarts last movie!!)
                  9- Raging Bull
                  10- Sombody up there Likes Me ( actually not great film.. but always great watching a young Paul Newman)
                  11- the Champ ( 1931 version)
                  12-The Great White Hope


                  Steadmund Brand
                  01. Champion (Kirk Douglas's first really big lead role)
                  02. The Set-Up (a rare film with Robert Ryan as the good guy - by the way he was a very good amateur boxer in real life)
                  03. Rocky
                  04. Gentleman Jim (Dandy Flynn, I agree, but Ward Bond's final scene steals the film as Sullivan gives Corbett the belt.)
                  05. The Great White Hope (When Darth Vadar was just Mr. Jones - but still a terrific actor as (really) Jack Johnson).
                  06. Cinderella Man (Crouse as James Braddock)
                  07. Requiem For a Heavyweight
                  08. The Harder They Fall (Bogie's last film - with a rising Steiger - and a take on the Primo Canera tragedy.)
                  09. Battling Butler (Buster as a millionaire trying to prove his manhood in the ring - he sometimes claimed it was his favorite film.)
                  10. Rocky III (not a great film, but I was impressed by the reality of Mr. T as a boxer in the initial bout with Stallone - watch it. You see a professional beat the pants off a movie star.)

                  Honorable mention: 11) The Champ (Wallace Beery)
                  12) City Lights (Chaplin's great fight in the ring.)
                  13) Any Old Port (Stan's Laurel bout with Walter Long)

                  Unfortunately I still have not seen Fat City or Million Dollar Baby, both of which are considered first rate. But I can't judge them.

                  Comment


                  • Not boxing films, but a couple of entertaining fights :

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrzdFT_vuUQ

                    With this one, go from 1 hour 19 mins :

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5MtiQ1pjXc

                    McGoohan seems very attached to his cigarette!

                    Comment


                    • Boxing and baseball fans are quite fortunate that there are many good films about their sport. My motorsports film list only had five on it because that's about all that were any good.

                      Regarding films with a memorable boxing scene - The Quiet Man.
                      Last edited by sdreid; 12-16-2014, 05:26 AM.
                      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

                      Stan Reid

                      Comment


                      • I don't watch many films but here are some I've liked - in no particular order.

                        - Forbidden Planet
                        - Tora.Tora, Tora
                        - The Third Man - far superior to Citizen Kane in my opinion
                        - Les Diaboliques - a psychological thriller with a spooky twist at the end
                        - The Warriors - Xenophon in New York!
                        - Murder by Decree - Christopher Plummer makes a surprisingly good Holmes
                        - Predator - 'There's something out there and it ain't no man...we're all gonna die'
                        - The Usual Suspects
                        - Arlington Road

                        Comment


                        • theme

                          Hello Duplin. Music in "The Third Man" is certainly better.

                          Cheers.
                          LC

                          Comment


                          • Anton Karas

                            Hello (again) Dupplin. You inspired me.

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8jN1treRKQ

                            Cheers.
                            LC

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Dupplin Muir View Post
                              - Les Diaboliques - a psychological thriller with a spooky twist at the end
                              Excellent

                              Comment


                              • Anton Karas - fantastically skilful.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X