Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    The reason I did not include "Being There" with the Sellers films was I forgot if the proper title was "Being There" (I wasn't sure of the second word, believe it or not). Seller's "Chauncey Gardiner" was a great sign off role (yeah, I know he did one more film afterwards, but "Being There" is his last great part).

    Science Fiction films (some horror included:

    Metropolis
    The Golem
    The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    The Hands of Orloc
    Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (Barrymore version)
    Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (March version)
    Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (Tracy version)
    Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde [Surprisingly I like this comedy with Karloff - one sequence in which an accident destroys a perfect plan of Police Commisioner Reginald Denny about catching Hyde has always struck me as hysterically funny because of the resulting confusion on his tracing map. Then too, the setting in late 19th Century London is quite intriguing to the Ripperologist in me.]
    Things to Come
    The Invisible Man (Rains' introduction to movie fame)
    The Man Who Could Perform Miracles (who said Roland Young was only good to lead in "Topper".)
    Death Takes a Holiday
    King Kong
    Son of Kong
    Dracula (Lugosi)
    Frankenstein (Karloff)
    White Zombie (Lugosi)
    Bride of Frankenstein (Stand-out role for Ernest Thesinger)
    The Black Cat (1934)
    The Invisible Ray (Lugosi as a nice guy - who'd have thought it?)
    The Murders in the Rue Morgue
    The Island of Dr. Moreau
    Mad Love
    International House (Good comedy, but interesting regarding an early look at the possibility of television.)
    Son of Frankenstein ("When the house is full of dead, place the bodies head to head"!!)
    Black Friday (Good all around, but hooray for Stanley Ridges)
    Dr. Cyclops (1940 - they did do good Science Fiction in the 1940s)
    The Lodger (Best of the Jack the Ripper versions of the story, including Hitchcock's)
    Hangover Square (Possibly the best horror ending image of any film I ever saw)
    Dead of Night
    On Borrowed Time
    This Island Earth
    The War of the Worlds
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    Them
    Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
    Journey to the Center of the Earth

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      It's also, in my opinion, the best Dahlia inspired movie so a true-crime film, in a fashion. I think it's also one of the best brother movies of all time.
      sdreid, I absolutely agree!

      There is a stillness at the heart of the film which is beautiful and disconcerting at the same time.
      The scene at the end with De Niro and Duvall is truly heartbreaking,

      Comment


      • #63
        Ronin is a good de Nero film.

        Halfway House (1944) is a nice ghost film. It looks for all the world like one of those J B Priestley 'time' stories, though I have not found any mention of his being connected with it.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
          I am so glad folks are digging this thread.. I know I have been starting a list of films I must see.. I hope others feel the same

          Guess I'll add some Sci-fi films

          1- Metropolis (the fully restored version... I was lucky enough to be at the world premiere of that in 2010..)
          2- Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back
          3- The Day The Earth Stood Still- (1951!!!)
          4- Planet of the Apes- (1968!!!!)
          5- Blade Runner (pick your version haha)
          6- A Clockwork Orange
          7- Brazil
          8- Rollerball- (1975!!!)
          9- Time After Time- (yet another fun Ripper film)
          10- Plan 9 from Outer Space (ok stop laughing now…I don’t care what anyone says, it is a fun film, that keeps your interest EVERYTIME you watch it, it’s never boring.. which is more than can be said for the “blockbuster” films of today!!!!)
          11- Escape from New York
          12- Galaxy Quest- (great spoof and actually a good piece of sci-fi)
          13- Last Man on Earth (Vincent Price…need I say more!)
          14- The Black Hole (Yeah it’s Disney’s attempt at Star Wars….but is quite good.. and dark for a Disney film…just the fate of Anthony Perkins alone is not very Disney like )

          More to come if needed

          Steadmund Brand
          Hi SB

          Im going to do my scifi tonight, but you got 4 of mine on yours, including Rollerball!!!!!! Beat me to the punch. I thought I was going to surprise everyone with that one, since everyone I know blows it off.

          Its friggen brilliant, and not just the action sequences.

          The scene at the party where they drunkenly (or druggedly-those little white pills everyone is popping)shoot the trees, burning them up, while he is just seemingly apathetic to the whole thing. James Cahn underplaying the role, low key-awesome.

          LOVE, LOVE LOVE this movie!

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Errata View Post
            It's a 50's era B movie sci fi flick made about 10 years ago. Intrepid scientist, Donna Reed stereotypical wife, Ancient psychic skeleton, evil scientist, aliens, mutants, Atmospherium, mysterious mutilations, and the trusty and loyal Ranger Brad.

            It's in black and white. The plot is appropriately dumb. The characters are stereotyped, and the dialogue is brilliant.

            Lattis- "Who knows how many untold millions will die by its hand?"
            Kro-Bar- "If only it did have hands, my woman. If only it did have hands."

            I've showed this movie to a ton of people, and the only person who didn't like it was my sister, who doesn't like anything.
            Thanks-I think ill be getting it!

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
              The reason I did not include "Being There" with the Sellers films was I forgot if the proper title was "Being There" (I wasn't sure of the second word, believe it or not). Seller's "Chauncey Gardiner" was a great sign off role (yeah, I know he did one more film afterwards, but "Being There" is his last great part).

              Science Fiction films (some horror included:

              Metropolis
              The Golem
              The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
              The Hands of Orloc
              Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (Barrymore version)
              Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (March version)
              Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde (Tracy version)
              Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde [Surprisingly I like this comedy with Karloff - one sequence in which an accident destroys a perfect plan of Police Commisioner Reginald Denny about catching Hyde has always struck me as hysterically funny because of the resulting confusion on his tracing map. Then too, the setting in late 19th Century London is quite intriguing to the Ripperologist in me.]
              Things to Come
              The Invisible Man (Rains' introduction to movie fame)
              The Man Who Could Perform Miracles (who said Roland Young was only good to lead in "Topper".)
              Death Takes a Holiday
              King Kong
              Son of Kong
              Dracula (Lugosi)
              Frankenstein (Karloff)
              White Zombie (Lugosi)
              Bride of Frankenstein (Stand-out role for Ernest Thesinger)
              The Black Cat (1934)
              The Invisible Ray (Lugosi as a nice guy - who'd have thought it?)
              The Murders in the Rue Morgue
              The Island of Dr. Moreau
              Mad Love
              International House (Good comedy, but interesting regarding an early look at the possibility of television.)
              Son of Frankenstein ("When the house is full of dead, place the bodies head to head"!!)
              Black Friday (Good all around, but hooray for Stanley Ridges)
              Dr. Cyclops (1940 - they did do good Science Fiction in the 1940s)
              The Lodger (Best of the Jack the Ripper versions of the story, including Hitchcock's)
              Hangover Square (Possibly the best horror ending image of any film I ever saw)
              Dead of Night
              On Borrowed Time
              This Island Earth
              The War of the Worlds
              Invasion of the Body Snatchers
              Them
              Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
              Journey to the Center of the Earth
              This Island Earth!!!!!!!!!!!

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                Abby.. I see This is Spinal Tap on your list of comedy..how about a list of "Rock-N-Roll" movies.. with real bands/musicians (Tap does count as they did write and play all their own music.. and they were actually better than the bands they were mocking.. sad but true). again.. not in any order

                1- This is Spinal Tap- Spinal Tap
                2- Help- The Beatles
                3- Hard Day's Night- The Beatles
                4- Spice World- Spice Girls-- i know so many people say they were a joke... and if you saw the film, they agreed with you and totally mocked the whole situation, clever and cute film!
                4- Rock-n-Roll High school- the Ramones
                5- The Commitments
                6- The Blues Brothers (not just one of the best bands ever put together.. but performances by legends John Lee Hooker, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles and Cab Calloway!!
                7- 200 Motels- Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
                8- the Harder They Come- Jimmy Cliff
                9- the Rutles- The Rutles (yes it counts!!)
                10-Head- The Monkees (if you didn't know, YES the Monkees made an ACID film written by Jack Nicholson/Bob Rafelson.. and a funny film with some great music at that)
                11- Flame- Slade- this may be the best film ever made about the sleazy side of the music industry...brave move on the part of Slade, they were Top of the Pops darlings at this time and could have made a cute little comedy...but instead they made this movie. Flame may have hurt their record sales with the kids... but If I were them I would be proud of this gem of a film

                Steadmund Brand
                Again-great list!
                But you forgot the granddaddy of them all-Woodstock

                Not sure if this counts but Ive also been partial to Streets of Fire-not a real Rock and roll band movie-but certainly a rock and roll movie!

                Comment


                • #68
                  One or two songs at Woodstock had some remarkable lyrics :

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJWxPE8G2c

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                    Again-great list!
                    But you forgot the granddaddy of them all-Woodstock

                    Not sure if this counts but Ive also been partial to Streets of Fire-not a real Rock and roll band movie-but certainly a rock and roll movie!
                    thank you

                    I didn't include Woodstock as that is more of a Concert Film...this list was for actual movies.... a list of concert films would be fun too.. ( same with the Song Remains The Same Robert)

                    Anyone else have any good Rock/Music Movies I missed...I was going to put Rock Around the Clock.. but the films isn’t that good.. and I didn’t include the Buddy Holly story or the Doors.. as those are bio-pics...I want movies starring the bands themselves...

                    another great thing about this thread is now I am going to re-watch and enjoy some of my favorites again.. thank you all

                    Steadmund Brand
                    Last edited by Steadmund Brand; 12-12-2014, 12:44 PM.
                    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      Hi SB

                      Im going to do my scifi tonight, but you got 4 of mine on yours, including Rollerball!!!!!! Beat me to the punch. I thought I was going to surprise everyone with that one, since everyone I know blows it off.

                      Its friggen brilliant, and not just the action sequences.

                      The scene at the party where they drunkenly (or druggedly-those little white pills everyone is popping)shoot the trees, burning them up, while he is just seemingly apathetic to the whole thing. James Cahn underplaying the role, low key-awesome.

                      LOVE, LOVE LOVE this movie!
                      Again.. thank you so much...I love it as well.. and most of my friends scoff at it.. pitty since I know it's because they never saw it ( like Saturday Night Feaver....everyone say's "I don't want to watch some stupid disco movie....without seeing it and realizing it's quite a good film!!)

                      Great list as well... I can't believe I left Invasion of the Body Snatchers off my list!!!!!

                      Steadmund Brand
                      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Ohhhh.. Shame on me!!! I left off one of my favorite films from the "rock-n-roll" list

                        Train Ride to Hollywood- starring Bloodstone....so few people have even heard of this film....I can't explain why I love it so much.. the story is silly, the acting ranges from terrible to just over the top but the music is great and it's nothing more than just a lot of fun!!! do not expect a masterpiece... it's one of those films, the first time you see it you sit there after it's over and say " did I really just see that??? or was it a weird dream" if you see it a second time you find yourself laughing at all the right places... and if you see it a 3rd time you fall in love with it....

                        Steadmund Brand
                        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Yellow Submarine
                          Help!
                          A Hard Day's Night

                          [Nope who said I was a beatlemaniac.
                          G U T

                          There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            Yellow Submarine
                            Help!
                            A Hard Day's Night

                            [Nope who said I was a beatlemaniac.
                            Then why did you leave out Magical Mystery Tour!!!!

                            Steadmund Brand
                            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                              Again.. thank you so much...I love it as well.. and most of my friends scoff at it.. pitty since I know it's because they never saw it ( like Saturday Night Feaver....everyone say's "I don't want to watch some stupid disco movie....without seeing it and realizing it's quite a good film!!)

                              Great list as well... I can't believe I left Invasion of the Body Snatchers off my list!!!!!

                              Steadmund Brand
                              Saturday night fever is also on my top 100 favorite movies.

                              Ok I'm going to stop talking to you now as you are stealing my thunder with every post!

                              For now though here's my revenge:
                              Trees lounge
                              Sante Sangre
                              Company of wolves
                              Naked lunch
                              Dead again
                              After hours
                              Body double
                              Gothic
                              The cats meow
                              Peggy sue got married
                              The illusionist
                              Glengarry glen Ross

                              Chew on those! : )

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Oh I can't Beleive nobody has commented on one from my comedy list-
                                Sideways

                                The best recent comedy in a long time!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X