Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
    I have actually seen this.. I am a big fan of Phil Silvers!! and you are right this is fun

Steadmund Brand
    Anything with Phil Silvers is fun.

Leave a comment:

• Steadmund Brand
    replied
    Originally posted by DJA View Post
    One of his TV Specials "The Slowest Gun in the West" is worth a peek on YouTube.

Phil Silvers,Jack Elam....
    I have actually seen this.. I am a big fan of Phil Silvers!! and you are right this is fun

Steadmund Brand

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    Jack Benny fan..Some of his radio stuff i dig, and the TV show was ok.. the only film of his i really liked was Buck Benny Rides Again (god knows why.. but it makes me laugh) ...

Steadmund Brand
    One of his TV Specials "The Slowest Gun in the West" is worth a peek on YouTube.

Phil Silvers,Jack Elam....

Leave a comment:

• John Wheat
    replied
    My Top Five Gore Films are as follows:

The Wizard of Gore
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Murder Set Pieces
    The Collection
    Bad Biology

Leave a comment:

• Paddy Goose
    replied
    Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
    Don't Look Now
    Was scary

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Wow bet that cat lived high on the sardine
    G'day GUT,

Bet the only ball he ever played with was made of yarn!

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Ok, I have a new favorite film to add to my list now... I saw it last night for the 1st time ( and had never even heard of it before then) and it's called

Rhubarb- the Millionaire Cat

Starring Ray Milland and Jan Sterling from 1951...adorable film where an eccentric millionaire falls in love with this wild cat, takes him in, and when he dies leaves all his money and his Baseball team to the cat ...maybe I was just up too late and was punchy, or maybe the fact that Rhubarb looks a lot like my beloved cat ( Sgt. Pepper) but I loved this movie!!

anyone else seen this classic?

Steadmund Brand
    Hi Steadmund,

I saw part of "Rhubarb" once. It was based on a story by humorist H. Allan White. Oddly enough it is one of two baseball comedies that starred Ray Milland - an odd choice as he being from Britain he would not have been the actor I would have first thought of for any films about baseball (someone like William Bendix - who did play "Babe Ruth" in a fictionalized biography - of Paul Douglas - who was in the original "Angels in the Outfield", as a team's manager - would have seemed better for such roles*. The other Milland film was "It Happens Every Spring" where he is a chemistry professor at a college who invents a liquid compound that when put on wood repels anything - and soon he is hitting .400 and above when he joins a baseball team. One critic, taking a justifiably dim view of this activity, said there is a simpler solvent that one can add to wood that does this: it's called "spit".

*Bendix was in a very funny comedy about baseball called, "Kill the Unpire", where (as a very noisy game spectator) he is forced to become an umpire as punishment for his belaboring these poor figures. It has one of my favorite scenes, where Bendix (in an attempt to avoid this situation) goes to some team owner and manager wearing bottlecap style eyeglasses, and stumbling all over the place suggesting he's the last person in the world one hires for such a job (it doesn't work!).

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    I just read that Orangey ( the cat who played Rhubarb) was the same cat in Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Incredible Shrinking Man...

Steadmund Brand
    Wow bet that cat lived high on the sardine

Leave a comment:

• Bridewell
    replied
    Doctor Zhivago (the Omar Sharif & Julie Christie version)
    Soylent Green
    Don't Look Now
    Kelly's Heroes
    Kind Hearts & Coronets

I'm sure I'll think of others

Leave a comment:

• Steadmund Brand
    replied
    I just read that Orangey ( the cat who played Rhubarb) was the same cat in Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Incredible Shrinking Man...

Steadmund Brand

Leave a comment:

• Steadmund Brand
    replied
    Ok, I have a new favorite film to add to my list now... I saw it last night for the 1st time ( and had never even heard of it before then) and it's called

Rhubarb- the Millionaire Cat

Starring Ray Milland and Jan Sterling from 1951...adorable film where an eccentric millionaire falls in love with this wild cat, takes him in, and when he dies leaves all his money and his Baseball team to the cat ...maybe I was just up too late and was punchy, or maybe the fact that Rhubarb looks a lot like my beloved cat ( Sgt. Pepper) but I loved this movie!!

anyone else seen this classic?

Steadmund Brand
    Last edited by Steadmund Brand; 05-29-2015, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Steadmund Brand
    replied
    Last night I finally got around to seeing a film that has been on my list for many years, "Eyes Without A Face" *The 1962 Georges Franju film ).. And it lived up to all the HYPE.. it was actually better than I had hoped it would be, dark and suspenseful yet beautifully shot.. this is what a horror film should be!!! so sad that when it was released in America they changed the name ( to the horrible sounding and misleading "The Horror Chamber of Dr. Faustus." )for a drive in run on a double bill.... Criterion did an amazing job with this print ( as always) as they did with another film that was a drive in flick that deserved to be looked at as more an art film "Carnival of Souls" (if you haven’t seen the Criterion restoration I highly recommend it)

Anyone else here familiar with this film? and if so what did you think about it?

Steadmund Brand

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    You are the third person mentioning “George Washington Slept Here”, I should probably watch it again, as I'm sure the last time I saw it I was about 15 years old....maybe I'll have a better appreciation for it now... I'll give it a shot....see this is another reason I love this thread so much!!!!!

Thank you all and keep the posts coming!!!

Steadmund Brand
    Hi Steadmund,

If you want to be creative, I think you should try to see it and the later film comedy classic, "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House", as there are similarities between the films about moving to the country. But "George Washington Slept Here" was a play by Moss Hart and George Kaufman originally, and "Mr. Blandings" was based on a popular novel of the later 1940s.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Steadmund Brand
    replied
    You are the third person mentioning “George Washington Slept Here”, I should probably watch it again, as I'm sure the last time I saw it I was about 15 years old....maybe I'll have a better appreciation for it now... I'll give it a shot....see this is another reason I love this thread so much!!!!!

Thank you all and keep the posts coming!!!

Steadmund Brand

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Believe it or not from reading my posts, I have never been a big Jack Benny fan..Some of his radio stuff i dig, and the TV show was ok.. but the only film of his i really liked was Buck Benny Rides Again (god knows why.. but it makes me laugh) ....unless you count it's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.. but I don't as his part was so small... and I enjoy the Meanest Man in the World, but only for Tor Johnsons part

Steadmund Brand
    Hi Steadmund,

I tend to like "Charlie's Aunt" and "To Be or Not to Be" best, but I also liked "George Washington Slept Here" too.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X