Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJA
    replied
    Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    5) Another film I can't recall the name of - about the destruction of a village in Wale due to flooding by a major government project. Edith Evans is the local village matriarch, and the villain was Emlyn Williams.

Jeff
    "The Last Days of Dolwyn".

Some Welsh guy named Richard Burton in his first movie.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    I think the film "The Halfway House" may have been set in Wales. The hotel in it was owned by Mervyn and Glynis Johns, anyway.

Also "Only Two Can Play" with Peter Sellers.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hi Jeff

It's 'A Run For Your Money.' A couple of Welshmen go to London. I seem to remember it as a kind of Welsh version of 'The Bridal Path' with misunderstandings etc.

The other film was apparently this :

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hi Jeff

There was also a Japanese version which went "Cogito ergo sumo."

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    OK Lynn, I'll try to watch it when I can.

BTW, there was an extremely short Yiddish version of Cartesianism. Its sole proposition was 'Cogito ergo schtum' and the philosophy wasn't developed further.
    Hm, "I think therefore I keep my mouth shut!" It does have a smidge of sense to it.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Hi Jeff

Another two : Tunes of Glory (John Mills and Alec Guinness)
    The Wicker Man (Christopher Lee)
    Again I forgot two that I really liked. Thanks Robert.

By the way, "The Wicker Man" was remade in the last couple of years.

My original intention was to do a series of lists for each of the four or five nation states that make up the British Isles. I said four or five depending on how one handles the issue of Ireland as one state or two.

It is not always easy. Here's my attempt at Wales.

1) How Green Was My Valley
    2) The Corn is Green (two versions)
    3) The Man Who Walked Up a Hill and Down a Mountain
    4) A Run For The Money (I believe this is the name of a 1949 early Ealing comedy with Alec Guinness. It takes place in London, but the main characters (including Hugh Griffith) are Welsh (Griffith being a lyre player).
    5) Another film I can't recall the name of - about the destruction of a village in Wale due to flooding by a major government project. Edith Evans is the local village matriarch, and the villain was Emlyn Williams.
    6) The Stars Look Down.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Rob Roy

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hi Jeff

Another two : Tunes of Glory (John Mills and Alec Guinness)
    The Wicker Man (Christopher Lee)

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    The Ghost of St Michael's (Hay)
    Geordie
    Ring of Bright Water (both Bill Travers)
    The 39 Steps (especially the version with Robert Powell)
    I never saw the Hay comedy and "Ring of Bright Water". I did forget The 39 Steps, but I just am familiar with the Donat/Hitchcock version.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    G'day Jeff

What about Braveheart.
    G'Day GUT,

You are right - I'm afraid I did forget Braveheart (so far the only film about Wallace and Robert the Bruce I know of). I also left off Laurel & Hardy's "Bonnie Scotland", which for the first half hour is in a Hollywood style Scotland, but spends the bulk of the film in India for odd plot reasons.

There was also a silent film called "Annie Laurie" which I believe starred Lillian Gish, but I can't fully recall it.

I did include several films connected to the West Port Murders of Burke and Hare (one, "The Greed of William Hart" starred Tod Slaughter, but for some reason the last name of Burke was changed). I forgot to include "Madeleine", a David Lean film that starred his then wife Ann Todd as Madeleine Smith.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    OK Lynn, I'll try to watch it when I can.

BTW, there was an extremely short Yiddish version of Cartesianism. Its sole proposition was 'Cogito ergo schtum' and the philosophy wasn't developed further.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Dark Star was probably my favourite film for part of my childhood. Mostly due to the sentient bomb, and the orange alien life form.
    Written by Dan O'Bannon, of course, who later wrote a slightly different version of an alien, in "Alien".

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    link

Hello (again) Robert. May have found a slightly edited version here.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Given your taste for cartesian philosophy, you'll appreciate the conclusion which relies on the cogito and observations about the external material world.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    must see

Hello Robert. Thanks.

Hmm, you MUST see this one. Quite humourous.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hi Lynn

Yes and no. I went to the cinema but the screen never lit up. I came away thinking that it was truly dark.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X