No announcement yet.

Crippen to be Exhumed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The documentary certainly cast a great deal of doubt on much of the "scientific" evidence and it seems a flimsy thread on which to hang a man.

However, the most compelling evidence is surely the pyjama jacket. Only two possibilities can explain this away, viz:

1) Crippen was guilty, or
    2) Dew was a liar.

Any thoughts, casebookers?

Regards,

Steve.

Comment

Dew altered the evidence to convict a man he believed was guilty

Comment

Have been reading through this intereresting and informative thread, Just two things; Is it not possible that the slide containing Bella's DNA has been somehow contaminated, obviously crime scene integrity wasn't something considered in 1910, also why would Inspector Dew and his team frame Dr Crippen when Belle could have turned up at any time and ruined his whole career and reputation?

KR Angie

Comment

Hi

if crippen wasnt guilty can anyone explian what a human torso was doing in his coal cellar

Cora killed one of her lovers, hid him in the cellar and left, letting Crippen take the blame.
          It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Cora killed one of her lovers, hid him in the cellar and left, letting Crippen take the blame. [/QUOTE]

An easier way would be to kill him with her singing and blame natural causes.

Steve.

Comment

Hi Steve

An easier way would be to kill him with her singing and blame natural causes.

lol, death by aria?

tj
              It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Originally posted by tji View Post
                Hi

if crippen wasnt guilty can anyone explian what a human torso was doing in his coal cellar

Cora killed one of her lovers, hid him in the cellar and left, letting Crippen take the blame.
                Hi,

Don't think anyone would wait 4 years before doing a runner!

KR Angie

Comment

Originally posted by apricot View Post
                  Have been reading through this intereresting and informative thread, Just two things; Is it not possible that the slide containing Bella's DNA has been somehow contaminated, obviously crime scene integrity wasn't something considered in 1910, also why would Inspector Dew and his team frame Dr Crippen when Belle could have turned up at any time and ruined his whole career and reputation?

KR Angie
                  On Dew planting evidence. I think Dew was sincere in his belief that Crippen was guilty and that Cora was dead.
                  The whole country had convicted Crippen before he was even tried. He was foolish running with Ethel but he was not a strong character I also think he was trying to protect Ethel.

You may now throw things gently

Comment

Totally agree Dr Crippen was protecting Ethel, I have always believed she was one extremely lucky lady, not a delicate, naive little flower, indeed some believe she was complicit in Belle's demise, she had already had one miscarriage and wouldn't want to have a child outside marriage so I think she encouraged Dr Crippen to remove Bella and wasn't fussed how he did it.
                    KR Angie

Comment

• Crippen's wife goes missing; none of her close friends ever hear from her again; Crippen lies about her whereabouts, and moves his mistress into the house; Ethel is seen openly wearing Belle's clothes, furs and jewels; when the police come to ask questions, Crippen and Ethel disguise themselves and run. When arrested, Crippen says to Dew "thank God it's over". He killed his wife, and dismembered her body. I always liked the theory that he was using the hyoscine to dampen her sexual appetite (maybe he couldn't keep them both happy!) and instead it made her aggitated and hysterical and he either shot her or she died in some other way that would not work with an accidental death scenario.

Forensic testing must be used in conjunction with the known facts of the case. It would be fascinating to have the evidence kept by Scotland Yard tested - does the DNA on the cloth, and from the hair in the curler which they have preserved, match the DNA from the slides? I would assume that the "chain of custody" for the Scotland Yard evidence would be more reliable than for Spillsbury's slides. I firmly believe that Crippen killed his wife; there is too much evidence in his behaviour both before and after Belle disappeared. Forensic evidence can be misinterpreted (Lindy Chamberlain and the "dingo baby" case is a classic example) and I think that further investigation will show that the conviction of Crippen was correct.

Comment

Working...
                      X