Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    what the heck does "hows yer father" mean?
    Well, as the adage goes: "no sex please, we're English".

In deepest, impenetrable, Southern rural England; the word **** was banned some time back due to mass hysteria among the natives, who are generally socially conservative and usually perform mental acrobatics in order to cross the line into a good old fashioned ****. So, they concocted the term: "how's yer Father" in order to negotiate a word not fit for gentle ears.

Why they felt it was necessary is a mystery considering they spend all of their time baking cakes for the parish vicar, and really don't have time for anything else. That said, they could quite easily have avoided the whole topic without need for linguistic magic.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
      Bully for you, you patronising git! If you had anything interesting to say, the tranny might chat with you.

Love,

Caz
      X
      I have absolutely nothing interesting to say and make no bones about it.

And, I wasn't being patronising - I was hoping for the recipe.

Comment

• I can see that the election in India of a divisive, anti establishment, right wing Prime Minister is going really well! http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-i...115-story.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
          Well, as the adage goes: "no sex please, we're English".

In deepest, impenetrable, Southern rural England; the word **** was banned some time back due to mass hysteria among the natives, who are generally socially conservative and usually perform mental acrobatics in order to cross the line into a good old fashioned ****. So, they concocted the term: "how's yer Father" in order to negotiate a word not fit for gentle ears.

Why they felt it was necessary is a mystery considering they spend all of their time baking cakes for the parish vicar, and really don't have time for anything else. That said, they could quite easily have avoided the whole topic without need for linguistic magic.
          If some of you language etymologists can help me with a slang term, how did the male sex organ become known as one's "Johnson"? It's not for Lyndon, I know.

Jeff

Comment

• "John Thomas" derives from the name the leading man in D.H. Lawrence's novel Lady Chatterley's Lover gave to his own appendage.

"Johnson" meaning the penis appears to be part of a group that uses a proper name, in this case based on 'John', to give a slang name to the male genitals. Others of the type include John Henry, John Thomas, John Willie, Master John Goodfellow, Sir John and Uncle John. And there is john itself:

1914 T.S. Eliot ‘Fragments’ in Inventions of the March Hare: O daughter dear daughter I think you are a fool / To run against a man with a john like a mule.

The first use of johnson is mid-19th century:

1863 W. Cheadle Journal 2 Feb.: Bitterly cold; neck frozen. Face ditto; thighs ditto; Johnson ditto, & sphincture vesicae partially paralysed.

The first uses of this 'proper name' form seem to stem from the 16th century jockum, here used in one of the earliest collections of criminal slang terms:

c.1566 Harman Caveat for Common Cursetours: There was a proud Patrico and a nosegent, he tooke his Jockam in his famble, and a wapping he went.

Jockum led to jock, which is still found, typically in old school rap lyrics, although its original use is much older and serves for both sexes:

a.1790 H.T. Potter New Dict. Cant (1795): jock private parts of a man or woman.

Jack, as used for penis, also appears to have similar roots in a proper name, but in fact puns on the standard English jack, a device for lifting. Thus:

1604 Dekker Honest Whore Pt 1 I i: [He] taught her to play upon the Virginals, and still his Jacks leapt up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Allen View Post
              "John Thomas" derives from the name the leading man in D.H. Lawrence's novel Lady Chatterley's Lover gave to his own appendage.

"Johnson" meaning the penis appears to be part of a group that uses a proper name, in this case based on 'John', to give a slang name to the male genitals. Others of the type include John Henry, John Thomas, John Willie, Master John Goodfellow, Sir John and Uncle John. And there is john itself:

1914 T.S. Eliot ‘Fragments’ in Inventions of the March Hare: O daughter dear daughter I think you are a fool / To run against a man with a john like a mule.

The first use of johnson is mid-19th century:

1863 W. Cheadle Journal 2 Feb.: Bitterly cold; neck frozen. Face ditto; thighs ditto; Johnson ditto, & sphincture vesicae partially paralysed.

The first uses of this 'proper name' form seem to stem from the 16th century jockum, here used in one of the earliest collections of criminal slang terms:

c.1566 Harman Caveat for Common Cursetours: There was a proud Patrico and a nosegent, he tooke his Jockam in his famble, and a wapping he went.

Jockum led to jock, which is still found, typically in old school rap lyrics, although its original use is much older and serves for both sexes:

a.1790 H.T. Potter New Dict. Cant (1795): jock private parts of a man or woman.

Jack, as used for penis, also appears to have similar roots in a proper name, but in fact puns on the standard English jack, a device for lifting. Thus:

1604 Dekker Honest Whore Pt 1 I i: [He] taught her to play upon the Virginals, and still his Jacks leapt up.
              Welcome Lord.

Pretty fair summary I think.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Anyone notice his initials are DT, well he gives me the DTs.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Meanwhile, on the lighter side of things, Ben Carson has excluded himself from any position in the Trump administration as "Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience"

Further, "The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."

HE RUN FOR PRESIDENT HIMSELF!!!

Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, a top ally of President-elect Donald Trump, will not be the secretary of health and human services, The Hill reported Tuesday.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                    "what the heck does "hows yer father" mean?"

It's learning of sayings like this from our friends across the pond that keeps me on these boards. I can't wait to use this one.

c.d.
                    Just for you and Abby, c.d:

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                      I have absolutely nothing interesting to say and make no bones about it.

And, I wasn't being patronising - I was hoping for the recipe.
                      The recipe from a transvestite? Or for a transvestite? If you're nice I can lend one to you. Any particular frock you'd like? I have a wardrobe full of them.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Just for you and Abby, c.d:

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        LOL. thanks Caz

Comment

• Originally posted by Svensson View Post
                          Meanwhile, on the lighter side of things, Ben Carson has excluded himself from any position in the Trump administration as "Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience"

Further, "The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."

HE RUN FOR PRESIDENT HIMSELF!!!

http://www.businessinsider.com/ben-c...ration-2016-11
                          Oddly enough there might have been (could still be) a position for Dr. Carson. Trump could appoint him Surgeon General. Not a bad choice if he did. He's conservative, as was Reagan's find for that post, Dr. C. Everett Koop, but Dr. Koop turned out to be a good and respected Surgeon General.
                          Carson might be one too, if chosen.

Jeff

Comment

I come from 1950s England, FM. Born in 1954.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner.

But I wouldn't dream of making jam (my mother did - the most mouthwatering bramble jelly you ever tasted, the blackberries collected by yours truly on Wimbledon Common) or going within a million miles of the WI. Not sure what you mean by 'deriding town folk' - I only lived away from a town once, in the 1970s, and couldn't wait to get back into 'the smoke'. Do you mean union flags? I only dodge the ones that permanently adorn the homes of identity-challenged Brits. I do like sherry, though (even the cooking variety) and enjoy watching cricket at the local club in the summer, sipping something cold, while others serve up the cakes and scoff them. What little I have seen of Herefordshire is quite nice, but not really my cup of tea.

I quite like Northerners, even the ones with chips on their shoulders the size of Hebburn. I might even chat with one in a bar if they had something interesting to say, as their accents are adorable. I'm tolerant like that.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            Was only teasing, Caz.

As it turns out I was born and bred in the country and remain a country lad at heart, and I've been to Herefordshire and a few other counties that way and to me they're absolute bliss. In terms of landscapes the only thing I like more than fields, rolling hills, hedges and sheep is the coast; and I'm fortunate enough to be from the North East coast.

As for jam and cricket, I've done my fair share of enjoying both and so we do have a few things in common!

And, when it comes to chatting to Northerners in pubs, be careful not to look them in the eyes - they'll want money from you. You've seen Hitchcock's "The Birds", that's what Northerners are like when we set eyes on you well-to-do folk!

Comment

The recipe from a transvestite? Or for a transvestite? If you're nice I can lend one to you. Any particular frock you'd like? I have a wardrobe full of them.

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              Any frock is a good frock, Caz, so whatever you can spare!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                                If some of you language etymologists can help me with a slang term, how did the male sex organ become known as one's "Johnson"? It's not for Lyndon, I know.

Jeff
                                Can't help you there, Jeff.

It was never a term used in the North East of England and I've probably only heard it said once or twice in my life.

I'd guess it's either a public school term or is Cockney rhyming slang of some description.

Comment

Working...
                                X