What would you have done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you have done?

Last night I was walking into the grocery store. I was with my two boys, ages 11 and 7. We were in the crosswalk about six to ten feet from the entrance, not in a particular hurry, chatting about our day. I was holding hands with my seven year old. A car made a sharp turn out of one of the rows, floored it, apparently saw my boys and I, slammed on the breaks, and screeched to a halt, in the crosswalk about six inches from my right leg. My 11 year old had sprinted out of the way, my seven year old was - as usual - oblivious so I had swung him out in front of me onto the sidewalk (he landed on his feet and thought that was great fun). The man behind the wheel then blasted his horn, began screaming something from inside the car, realized that I couldn't hear him well, thus he helpfully displayed his middle finger for me and, you know, my two kids, to see.

So, here is what I did. I leapt up and planted my ass - and my entire 215 pounds - right upon the hood of his car. I felt and heard the sound of a very satisfying give in the metal as I sunk into the crater that had been formed by my rear-end. I then popped off the hood, responded with my own middle finger salute, rounded up my boys, and went in for bananas, egg whites, and oatmeal.

As far as I can tell the 50-something guy behind the wheel said nothing. He did sit outside for about ten seconds before he drove away. After he did I noticed a police officer standing by the entrance. He wasn't smiling and he'd obviously seen the whole thing. At this point I became somewhat apprehensive. I felt a twinge - but only a twinge - of regret. The cop said only one word to me: "Nice!" He than asked my boys if they wanted police badge stickers and we all lived happily ever after.

Really glad no one was hurt, including you, Patrick.
    And props to you for not engaging in a shouting match-- just some car wrestling! ;-0
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Hope the cop took his plate.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Lo siento

What a world, what a universe, really.
        From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
        "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

So glad you and your family weren't hurt. Hoping also that the cop took down his plate and gave him a wreckless driving ticket. What a jerk.

Comment

My sympathies are entirely with you, but I probably would be more cautious myself in "retaliating" as you did. You see, in an age of "road rage" incidents, you never know if some ass will pull out a gun to get in the last word. Glad nobody got hurt at all.

Jeff

Comment

I think that was the most appropriate response in the situation. That or kicking off his side view mirror depending on the vehicle.
              I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Over here we say 'bonnet' not 'hood.' He could have driven around for the rest of the day saying 'see what a jolly bonnet I've got.'

Comment

Hello Patrick,

While I sympathize with you and got a kick out of what you did, I think it was the wrong thing to do. As someone pointed out, there are just too many crazies in the world and some of them are armed. Just my opinion.

c.d.

Comment

I am also glad everyone is ok!!!!....this is hard for me....the old me (I should say younger) who was very short tempered ( understatement to be sure) would probably have gone to his drivers side window.and if it was closed, punched it out and pulled him thru the window......now that I am older and a Taoist ( I say Taoism isn't for everyone...but it probably saved many people from a beating from me )..I would probably have just stood there and stared him down....not moving so he could drive away....just stood there....then again I'm 6'5 and over 300 pounds' so that alone prevents most people from even starting to yell at me ( I don't know why )......but as others have said that is probably the wrong choice....too many loons with guns....but that's what I would have done......I did LOVE your solution.....unofficially...as I work in insurance and know that technically you are now "liable" for his damage ....
                    what I really love is the officers reaction....especially the badges he gave your kids.....now that's what they will remember, not the ugly incident itself....kudos to a good cop!!!!

Steadmund Brand
                    Last edited by Steadmund Brand; 01-09-2016, 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling error
                    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Over 6'5" and 300 pounds? Yikes. -- Note to self. Be polite and respectful when addressing MR. BRAND on these boards.

c.d.

Comment

I once worked with a guy who kicked a car when the driver got a little too close when he was in the crosswalk. The driver jumped out and beat the living **** out of him.

c.d.

Comment

A former roommate of mine, who is now a minister, was carrying a rolled up newspaper when he was narrowly missed on the college campus. He slammed the paper on the car's fender sounding like it hit him. The driver stopped and ran out of the car...and when he saw my friend laughing did beat the **** out of him.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                            I am also glad everyone is ok!!!!....this is hard for me....the old me (I should say younger) who was very short tempered ( understatement to be sure) would probably have gone to his drivers side window.and if it was closed, punched it out and pulled him thru the window......now that I am older and a Taoist ( I say Taoism isn't for everyone...but it probably saved many people from a beating from me )..I would probably have just stood there and stared him down....not moving so he could drive away....just stood there....then again I'm 6'5 and over 300 pounds' so that alone prevents most people from even starting to yell at me ( I don't know why )......but as others have said that is probably the wrong choice....too many loons with guns....but that's what I would have done......I did LOVE your solution.....unofficially...as I work in insurance and know that technically you are now "liable" for his damage ....
                            what I really love is the officers reaction....especially the badges he gave your kids.....now that's what they will remember, not the ugly incident itself....kudos to a good cop!!!!

Steadmund Brand
                            I'm a bit like Steady.

Years ago would probably have attacked the bloke (not quite as tall as Steadmund but had a few pounds in him).

Nowadays would probably have walked away.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                              Hello Patrick,

While I sympathize with you and got a kick out of what you did, I think it was the wrong thing to do. As someone pointed out, there are just too many crazies in the world and some of them are armed. Just my opinion.

c.d.
                              Agree. Too dangerous as the world is today. While I sympathize with your motivation to enact revenge, probably not the best example to leave with your kids. Just glad all are safe!

Comment

Working...
                              X