Not Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Again

Another day another mass shooting in the U.S.A....

We can't go one week without this happening....this is making me sick and a little ashamed of my country... how these things become so common place people see the news and just say " eh whatever" ...

I would ask for a moment of silence but you can't have silence with all the gun shots.....

come on England.. Australia... talk some sense into us!!!! PLEASE

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

^ Without sounding 'holier than thou , (at least I hope not) ' Steadmund, the solution is in your own hands, that is the resolve of your citizens to stand up to the power of the NRA and the 2nd Amendment. The rest of the world just watches in uncomprehending amazement each time these sad events occur.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
      ^ Without sounding 'holier than thou , (at least I hope not) ' Steadmund, the solution is in your own hands, that is the resolve of your citizens to stand up to the power of the NRA and the 2nd Amendment. The rest of the world just watches in uncomprehending amazement each time these sad events occur.
      I am quite surprised certain things have not been done including a real drive against the huge loophole of that amendment. It's like we are waiting to be picked off by the loonies and fanatics one at a time. However, given the anger in Europe after Paris I wonder how much amazement at these incidents they have the right to show. Yes we have a really violent edge here - but it is there too, even if brought in by a foreign foe.

Comment

We had a gun culture here in Aus (not as great as the USA on a national scale but in some areas maybe greater). Then Port Arthur 36 (if my memory serves) killed by ine lunatic. Automatic and semi Automatic weapons banned, a tax levy to fund a gun buy back and a not to popular PM win the next election due to taking a stand.

Sure we still have crime and gun crime, BUT in the last 20 years nothing close, sorry I just don't get letting citizens have automatic weapons when the shooter ha to reload for each shot there is a chance.

And please don't misunderstand me I love shooting when get the chance and in my younger days was pretty handy with ith a rifle and a hand gun.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Sorry Steady, for some reason this bread didn't show up when i started mine
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post

We can't go one week without this happening....this is making me sick and a little ashamed of my country... how these things become so common place people see the news and just say " eh whatever" ...
            It must be ok with the general public, otherwise they would put an end to this ridiculous gun culture.

Someday they will decide enough is enough.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

California has some of the strictest gun control laws.

These guys look to be terrorists.

Comment

Steadman, I share your pain and embarrassment as an American at all of this gun violence.

I consider myself a member of the "general public", moderate liberal, non gun-owner. After Newtown in 2012, I tried to have web conversations about gun control, but some of the conservatives who answered called me an idiot.

Some truly believe the government is a dangerous entity, and they need guns to defend themselves from The New World Order. Others say they are responsible gun-owners who like hunting and target shooting. They all say it is a mental-health issue-- fine, so let's work on that, then! Let's just do something!

But we are so divided now, with such a lousy crop of presidential hopefuls-- who knows what will become of us...

The first link sent to me yesterday on the California massacre was from an Australian news site, by the way!
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

Update with info on the suspects in the California shooting:

---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

Some truly believe the government is a dangerous entity, and they need guns to defend themselves from The New World Order.
                    In my opinion, that vary fact should disqualify them from holing a license, exactly the sort of paranoia that doesnt mix with assault weapons.

The first link sent to me yesterday on the California massacre was from an Australian news site, by the way!
                    Our time difference will contribute largely to that.
                    G U T

Comment

The local militia has the right to bear arms
                      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                        The local militia has the right to bear arms
                        Yes, and the police, military, and National Guard DO bear arms.

The citizen militia was an idea that failed in the early 19th century, and was replaced by a regular army.

Are there local militias in England, still? I have heard a bit of the Home Guard-- is that one?
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                          The citizen militia was an idea that failed in the early 19th century, and was replaced by a regular army.
                          The state of Ohio (for one), still has its own militia, army and navy both, controlled by the Secretary of State. That was part of a deal reached with the Lincoln administration when he wanted to nationalize state militias into the National Guard, was that we could still have our own army. It's kept alive at pretty much a symbolic level today, but it's there, and could presumably be brought to active status if needed.

And, for that matter, most of the soldiers in the Civil War enlisted as state militia. The Union had about one division of regular army and the navy and marines, and the confederates had (IIRC) the navy and a marine brigade for their national forces. Everything else was states' volunteers. The reorganization as National Guard was, initially at least, more about allowing the federal government to provide arms and supplies without Congress having a fit than anything else.
                          Last edited by Ginger; 12-03-2015, 01:17 PM. Reason: Afterthought
                          - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post

I would ask for a moment of silence but you can't have silence with all the gun shots.....

come on England.. Australia... talk some sense into us!!!! PLEASE

Steadmund Brand
                            I think as usual context is everything.

The United States is a vast, unwieldy country so of course they will have a lot of idiots. Proportionately any more than any other country? Obviously not.

While I've never held a gun in my hand in my life, nor have I any wish to do so, I don't believe guns are a problem. And, to be honest, I appreciate there's a people out there who feel strongly about their rights.

The one thing I would say is that when you watch English films the theme is usually sex and tragedy; when you watch American films the theme is usually violence and heroism. Perhaps therein lies the problem, if of course you deem the comparison to be a problem.

Comment

I wonder if his weapons were legal?? Ie registered and if he had a license.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X