You’re a real Aussie when

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You’re a real Aussie when

You know stubbies can be worn or drank from.

You know the “I’ in Australia is optional and “Straya” is OK by you.

You know you wear a thong on your foot not under your pants.

You know Wagga Wagga can be Wagga, Kurri Kurri can be Kurri, Wangi Wangi can be Wangi but Woy Woy is never Woy.

You know that almost any word can be shortened with an O added, rego, demo, metho, muso, smoko, servo and all the rest.

You pronounce Melbourne, Mel Bin.

You are secretly proud of the killer wildlife.

You don’t laugh when someone says Wooloomaloo.

You think that a $1 coin being twice as big as a $2 coin is reasonable.

The more you shorten someone’s name the more you like them, unless they’ve got a short name then you should lengthen it.

You know there are universal places called Whoop Whoop and the Black Stump.

You’ve swallowed a fly, even through the nose.

You understand that “Excuse me” can sound rude but not “‘scuse me”.

“Beetroot on you hamburger” Of course.

It’s not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to touch and the seatbelt buckle makes a good branding iron.
    Had a few chats here about Aussieisms at times so I thought I'd post this, a lot of it might make no sense around here but it might give some a giggle.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

You know that almost any word can be shortened with an O added, rego, demo, metho, muso, smoko, servo and all the rest.
    Jacko the Rippo doesn't really work for me though.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

You're a real Aussie when you travel all the way to England for the Ashes.
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
        You're a real Aussie when you travel all the way to England for the Ashes.
        Or anywhere else as long as the baggy greens are winning.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
          Jacko the Rippo doesn't really work for me though.
          He'd have definitely got Jacko, not a shadow of a doubt.
          G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            He'd have definitely got Jacko, not a shadow of a doubt.
            Yep, he'd be "Jacko".

I think may Aussies are -openly- proud of the killer wildlife. Otherwise, the list is very accurate.

Including, sad to say, the fly up the nose thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post
              Yep, he'd be "Jacko".

I think may Aussies are -openly- proud of the killer wildlife. Otherwise, the list is very accurate.

Including, sad to say, the fly up the nose thing.
              Or swallowing one of the little buggers.

I've got one somewhere with a map of how safe Aus is that I'll try and find.

I love it when I hear visitors talk about cuddly Roos and Koalas.
              G U T

Comment

What nothing on the list about Paul Hogan... or Yahoo Serious... or VEGEMITE????

Steadmund Brand
                "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

The country's gone to pot now. They should have stuck with the Flying Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    The country's gone to pot now. They should have stuck with the Flying Doctor.
                    RFDS still going strong
                    G U T

Comment

RFDS still going strong
                      When I was growing up in the Sixties in California, I have vague memories of watching a children's television program called "Skippy" in which the boy lived on a ranch, did his schoolwork by the radio, and afterwards went out to play with his pet kangaroo.

That all I knew about Australia for years, though I'm better educated about it now.
                      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

Skippy the bush kangaroo
                        Skippy a friend ever true

Comment

Or swallowing one of the little buggers.

I've got one somewhere with a map of how safe Aus is that I'll try and find.

I love it when I hear visitors talk about cuddly Roos and Koalas.
                          G'day GUT,

Who says we think Koalas are cuddly here in the states? It was only those damned old Quantas commercials suggested it - and really it suggested the koalas wanted to be left alone! That should have been a tip-off. I believe their diet of euchalyptus tree leaves makes their urine quite identifiable.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                            G'day GUT,

Who says we think Koalas are cuddly here in the states? It was only those damned old Quantas commercials suggested it - and really it suggested the koalas wanted to be left alone! That should have been a tip-off. I believe their diet of euchalyptus tree leaves makes their urine quite identifiable.

Jeff
                            Tch Tch Jeff no "U" in QANTAS old chap.

One of our tourist Ministers once referred to Koalas as piddling, scratching machines, that went down well
                            G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                              When I was growing up in the Sixties in California, I have vague memories of watching a children's television program called "Skippy" in which the boy lived on a ranch, did his schoolwork by the radio, and afterwards went out to play with his pet kangaroo.

That all I knew about Australia for years, though I'm better educated about it now.
                              What skip didn't know weren't worth knowing, a national hero.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X