Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9 out of 10 countries on this planet.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 out of 10 countries on this planet.....

have been attacked by Britain at some point or other.

If this statistic is true, which I've just read and can't find any argument to counter this, to say it's staggering is a monumental understatement!

What does this say about us? Are we right in the collective head? Is there something in the water that turns us from tea drinking, garden tending, cricket lovers one day to domineering, conquest loving, barbarous lunatics the next day?

I'm stunned by this and it just goes to show that even someone who studied history at university can have the wool pulled over his eyes.

So, are we dangerous lunatics who shouldn't be allowed out of the front door without guidance, or what is it all just a bit of fun that never really harmed anyone and they thanked us for it later?

Strange how we have convinced ourselves we're peace loving, home loving, purveyors of democracy who stand up for the underdog when needed, e.g. Belgium and Poland (assuming you believe there was no hidden agenda); yet we've pretty much had a go at everyone at some point.

Edited to add:

Sam Flynn, you'll notice how it's no longer England, i.e. it's Britain, and of course I'm going to attempt to push 95% of the blame for this onto Wales and Scotland, starting with Lloyd George!
    Last edited by Fleetwood Mac; 06-13-2014, 11:54 AM.

Same ratio for France, I guess.
    The only difference is that France looses all the wars she starts.

Comment

Disgracefull statistics 9 out 10 we must be slipping I thought we had attacked everyone over the years oh well at least we've not used atomic weapons unlike our friends across the water .
      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Did you here about the last tank France developed in world war 2 it had a 10 speed gear box 1 foward 9 reverse.
        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

They still use it, mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
            Did you here about the last tank France developed in world war 2 it had a 10 speed gear box 1 foward 9 reverse.
            The French have done much better over the years than what is often claimed (assuming you think winning wars is a good thing).

They also helped British and French soldiers escape to England, when the British abandoned them, by putting up brave resistance outside of Dunkirk. It is why De Gaulle vetoed Britain's entry in the EC as it was felt that we'd left them to fend for themselves in order to save our necks, which was true.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
              The French have done much better over the years than what is often claimed (assuming you think winning wars is a good thing).

They also helped British and French soldiers escape to England, when the British abandoned them, by putting up brave resistance outside of Dunkirk. It is why De Gaulle vetoed Britain's entry in the EC as it was felt that we'd left them to fend for themselves in order to save our necks, which was true.
              Compared to the Italians the french were fantastic.

Comment

Disgracefull statistics 9 out 10 we must be slipping I thought we had attacked everyone over the years oh well at least we've not used atomic weapons unlike our friends across the water .
                Why wouldn't the Americans finish them off using the best means available, considering the Japanese had attacked them? Why waste hordes more American lives? What did the Japanese expect anyway? The Americans dropping a bunch of flowers out of the sky from the back of a plane?

Possibly not in line with international law, but then being killed is being killed and the Americans would have had to have killed an awful lot of them to achieve unconditional surrender and expended a lot of American lives in the process.

Don't forget that whatever the motives of the politicians, an awful lot of American Mothers lost their sons fighting in Europe on our side.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                  Why wouldn't the Americans finish them off using the best means available, considering the Japanese had attacked them? Why waste hordes more American lives? What did the Japanese expect anyway? The Americans dropping a bunch of flowers out of the sky from the back of a plane?

Possibly not in line with international law, but then being killed is being killed and the Americans would have had to have killed an awful lot of them to achieve unconditional surrender and expended a lot of American lives in the process.

Don't forget that whatever the motives of the politicians, an awful lot of American Mothers lost their sons fighting in Europe on our side.
                  I think a major factor in dropping those atomic bombs was to show the Russians what they could do .

Comment

Compared to the Italians the french were fantastic.
                    The French get an unfair deal in all of this, possibly because British politicians chose to run away from the fight while the French wanted to tough out, not something you'll be taught in a British school.

It didn't help that French planning wasn't exactly the best. They hadn't envisaged that the Germans could march through the Ardennes, and when they were first spotted coming out of the forests, French generals didn't believe it, chose to ignore it and lost precious time when they could have closed the gap. By the time the Germans were out and it was known, too late as the allies had marched into Belgium and now the Germans were behind them sending the allied forces into disarray. And the Maginot Line was half finished so the Germans simply waltzed round it.

Comment

I think a major factor in dropping those atomic bombs was to show the Russians what they could do .
                      I'd call it a bi-product. The Russians knew they had the atomic bomb and knew the destruction it would cause.

The main reason was to finish off the Japanese expending as few lives as possible. Okinawa taught them that they were going to have to scrap tooth and nail otherwise.

Comment

I also believe that some Pacific tribes have attacked hundred percent of their neighbours.
                        In fact, everybody kills everybody.

Comment

But you English should have given more guns and men to Cadoudal.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                            I also believe that some Pacific tribes have attacked hundred percent of their neighbours.
                            In fact, everybody kills everybody.
                            Yeah, but 30 pigmies wearing fox fur round their necks and whale teeth in their ears, running round with spears, are limited in the destruction they can cause.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                              But you English should have given more guns and men to Cadoudal.
                              Who??

Comment

Working...
                              X