Irritations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one may be controversial but.....

Children in pubs, or more specifically children in pubs that I like and want to drink in!

I'm glad that there are family friendly pubs out there, that's great!

If I know where they are I can avoid them like the plague.

My issue is when screaming kids and their annoying indulgent parents rock up in my favourite watering holes with their wailing, nonsensical inane babble and attention seeking.

I can't hear my friends and their interesting grown up chat.

As decent human beings we feel obliged to keep our conversations vaguely respectable and obscenity free incase a child hears.

It's a pub FFS, not a creche!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
      This one may be controversial but.....

Children in pubs, or more specifically children in pubs that I like and want to drink in!

I'm glad that there are family friendly pubs out there, that's great!

If I know where they are I can avoid them like the plague.

My issue is when screaming kids and their annoying indulgent parents rock up in my favourite watering holes with their wailing, nonsensical inane babble and attention seeking.

I can't hear my friends and their interesting grown up chat.

As decent human beings we feel obliged to keep our conversations vaguely respectable and obscenity free incase a child hears.

It's a pub FFS, not a creche!

Couldn’t agree more on this one Ms D. I don’t go into many pubs these days but I know that they are changing. Some pubs in my area used to have family rooms and those that didn’t just didn’t cater for children. For me pubs are adult spaces but it’s fine if they have enough space for a separate family room. Things like working men’s clubs are different of course and are often more geared toward families. As you know, I’m hardly Mr PC (to put it mildly) but surely it’s time to change the names of these places. The title ‘Working Men’s Club’ comes from a different era.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Couldn’t agree more on this one Ms D. I don’t go into many pubs these days but I know that they are changing. Some pubs in my area used to have family rooms and those that didn’t just didn’t cater for children. For me pubs are adult spaces but it’s fine if they have enough space for a separate family room. Things like working men’s clubs are different of course and are often more geared toward families. As you know, I’m hardly Mr PC (to put it mildly) but surely it’s time to change the names of these places. The title ‘Working Men’s Club’ comes from a different era.
        You see that actually surprises me that Working Men's Clubs are now actually quite family friendly.

I'm sure they exist here, but I don't really see them around, so I don't think I've ever been in one.

Perhaps it's more of an English thing (or else I've just missed them)?

I always picture them as old school, smoke filled rooms with guys in flat caps drinking pints of bitter and playing dominoes.

Perhaps just like the name, my perception of them is somehow stuck in the 1970's!

Comment

You see that actually surprises me that Working Men's Clubs are now actually quite family friendly.

I'm sure they exist here, but I don't really see them around, so I don't think I've ever been in one.

Perhaps it's more of an English thing (or else I've just missed them)?

I always picture them as old school, smoke filled rooms with guys in flat caps drinking pints of bitter and playing dominoes.

Perhaps just like the name, my perception of them is somehow stuck in the 1970's!
          Your mental picture of them is a pretty fair summary. They usually have a very large bar area probably with a stage with possibly another smaller room or two. Darts, pool, sometimes a snooker table or two. A few might have a bowling green. Perhaps events going on at the weekends like a singer or a comedian or a band etc. Maybe bingo on some nights. Teams in local leagues…football, cricket, darts, pool, dominoes etc, maybe a pigeon fanciers club. Sometimes these clubs are run by a certain large factory or a Pit but these days more often than not they aren’t. More than likely called something like…The ‘name of area’ Working Men’s Club, or the ‘name of area’ Social Club. Or they can be affiliated to political parties. The …… Labour/Liberal/Conservative Club eg, although these places often aren’t always much about politics these days. I used to go in a Labour Club and rarely heard politics mentioned. They are usually run by a committee with an appointed Steward to run the bar and manage the club day to day. Very working class but good family friendly places providing somewhere for families to go out together at the weekends. You often find generations that have frequented the same club for years. Years ago they also used to arrange coach trips to the seaside which was a good thing for families although you’ll be less impressed by the ‘Sunday Breakfast Run.’ This was a strictly ‘men only’ event. An early drink. Coach trip with more drinking. Stop off for a full English breakfast somewhere (with beer) then to a pub somewhere with a ‘blue’ comedian and a stripper or two, then back on the coach, a stop off at a pub on the way back back before getting back to the club for more beer. You can’t beat a cultural day out.

Sorry Ms D. That went on longer than I intended. The Herlock guide to Working Men’s/Social Clubs in the UK.
          Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 08-21-2024, 06:36 PM.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

People who think that wrestling is real.
            Hurley, I hope you don't go around telling them.

Comment

Your mental picture of them is a pretty fair summary. They usually have a very large bar area probably with a stage with possibly another smaller room or two. Darts, pool, sometimes a snooker table or two. A few might have a bowling green. Perhaps events going on at the weekends like a singer or a comedian or a band etc. Maybe bingo on some nights. Teams in local leagues…football, cricket, darts, pool, dominoes etc, maybe a pigeon fanciers club. Sometimes these clubs are run by a certain large factory or a Pit but these days more often than not they aren’t. More than likely called something like…The ‘name of area’ Working Men’s Club, or the ‘name of area’ Social Club. Or they can be affiliated to political parties. The …… Labour/Liberal/Conservative Club eg, although these places often aren’t always much about politics these days. I used to go in a Labour Club and rarely heard politics mentioned. They are usually run by a committee with an appointed Steward to run the bar and manage the club day to day. Very working class but good family friendly places providing somewhere for families to go out together at the weekends. You often find generations that have frequented the same club for years. Years ago they also used to arrange coach trips to the seaside which was a good thing for families although you’ll be less impressed by the ‘Sunday Breakfast Run.’ This was a strictly ‘men only’ event. An early drink. Coach trip with more drinking. Stop off for a full English breakfast somewhere (with beer) then to a pub somewhere with a ‘blue’ comedian and a stripper or two, then back on the coach, a stop off at a pub on the way back back before getting back to the club for more beer. You can’t beat a cultural day out.

Sorry Ms D. That went on longer than I intended. The Herlock guide to Working Men’s/Social Clubs in the UK.
              It's a shame that such places are dying out.

I guess times have changed and peoples interests are quite different but what a lovely, old school institution.

It actually sounds pretty great (apart from the Bernard Manning style comedy and strippers. I can live without that)!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post

Hurley, I hope you don't go around telling them.
                I used to have a couple of ‘friends’ who loved wrestling and believed it ‘real but exaggerated for entertainment value.’ I should have let it go at that of course but I didn’t (because i’m me basically) and we used to have a few lively discussions on the subject of gullibility. I recall once one of them made the claim that Hulk Hogan would have overcome Mike Tyson (in his prime at the time) in the ring. I said that Tyson would have knocked him out fairly quickly….you’d have thought that I’d accused their mother’s of something!
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

It's a shame that such places are dying out.

I guess times have changed and peoples interests are quite different but what a lovely, old school institution.

It actually sounds pretty great (apart from the Bernard Manning style comedy and strippers. I can live without that)!
                  They do still exist but perhaps not so many these days. I did get dragged onto one of those ‘breakfasts’ once. I was only around 18 or 19 and of course, the older guys got one of the strippers to make a beeline for me. I was so embarrassed. I remember trying to look cool but failing miserably. What made it worse was that I’d been worried about it for days because I’d guessed that I’d be targeted. When they asked me next year I ‘unfortunately’ had other plans.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Writers of non-fiction who add in bits of fictionalised dialogue. A definite no-no imo.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Dog owners can be the most inconsiderate neighbours, let their dog out at all hours to bark it's bloody head off at nothing.
                      Two dogs nearby out in their back yards trying to see who can bark the loudest, and one of the owners says, "ah, listen to them talk to each other" - I said, with utmost self restraint, "I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you for that god-awful yapping".
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Writers of non-fiction who add in bits of fictionalised dialogue. A definite no-no imo.
                        I'd suggest you advise your friends at this barbecue to take a comfort break, refresh their glasses and grab a comfy chair before you present your list!

Just saying

Comment

I'd suggest you advise your friends at this barbecue to take a comfort break, refresh their glasses and grab a comfy chair before you present your list!

Just saying
                          Good advice Ms D.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Good advice Ms D.
                            Yes, I fear your recital may be reminiscent of one of those Yes tracks you love!!

Comment

Just saying
                              My guess is that there is a better chance of the Rapture happening than Herlock ever getting to the end of his list.

c.d.

Comment

Ms D and c.d. - and my list is growing by the day
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X