Irritations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irritations

I was at a barbecue a while ago and in the early hours we started talking about the different things that annoyed us. As it got to close on to 3.00am and we knew that we were having another barbecue in two weeks time my friend suggested that we all list some things that annoy us for next time, saying that mine would probably be written on a piece of paper the length of the Bayeux Tapestry. I did have quite a few I must admit. Here are a few. I’d like to here everyone else’s.

Automated phone systems that ask you if you’ve heard about the existence of a thing called the internet and then proceed to give you masses of information in the hope that it will discourage you from staying on the line to actually speak to someone. They then inform you that you’ve called when they are experiencing a particularly high volume of calls.

People who ride bikes in the street with no hands? There’s no reason for it apart from pointless, childish showing off. I saw a guy fall off about a year ago…I still smile at the thought of it.

People who begin each sentence with the word ‘so.’ Why this weird trend? …”And what do you do for a living?”….“So I work for my local council….!”

People who say ‘pacifically’ instead of ‘specifically.”

TV companies giving you pointless trigger warnings about things that ‘might’ upset you before a programme comes on. Are we such sensitive souls these days that we can become traumatised by Coronation Street? Bored…yes. Upset…no.

Soap actors who stand there gaping like a fish without saying anything for ages just before the shows ending or before it goes to a break. It’s supposed to create suspense but it’s just irritatingly unrealistic.

People who can’t hold a pen normally. What’s wrong with people these days?

TV announcers and journalists who refer to Coronation Street as ‘The Cobbles!’

Paying for a cup of tea in a café then being given a cup of hot water with a tea bag in it.

Alcoholic drinks where the glass is filled almost to the brim with ice.

People who go on quiz shows and, when they don’t know the answer to something, say “well, it was before my time!” The Battle of Trafalgar was before my time but I still know when it was!

Food that’s too much effort to eat because you have to mess around peeling it or removing stones or spitting bones out.

People who spend hours in the bathroom. Mainly women I’m afraid but not solely. How can anyone be in there so long? There should be a timer. For a shower 15 minutes at the most.

People who spend hours on a cash machine acting as if they’ve never seen one before.

Shop assistants who serve you while they are on their phones and look at you as if you’re being ill-mannered by requiring serving.

Footballers (Professional Cheats) rolling around on the floor as if they’ve just been punched by Sonny Liston when they’ve actually just made nothing more than mild ‘contact’ with another player.

Reality TV - there’s absolutely nothing ‘real’ about it.

People who don’t say please or thank you. A couple of months ago I was sitting outside of a café with a friend when I saw a couple get up and leave. My friend noticed that the woman had left her phone on the table so she called her back. The woman said “oh, right. I don’t know how I forgot that.” No ‘thank you.’ Nothing. And it was one of those £1000+ flip phones.

Lying taxi firms who tell you that the taxi is ‘just around the corner’ when it’s not.

Dustbin men who insist that you place your bins in the correct position, facing the correct way and not even slightly overfilled. But after they’ve emptied them you have to walk around the street to find your own because the lazy b******s can’t be bothered to return them to the house that they took them from.

People that walk along the street staring at their phones relying on everyone else avoiding walking into them.

People that intentionally make their cars/motorbikes louder than they need to be.

People that wear jeans/trousers as if they’re about to fall down.

Young men who walk around with their hand down their trousers. (This one is a case for the return of the death penalty imo)

People who keep spitting. Why? I never spit.

People who make a deafening noise when they blow their nose.

Vapers who blow out more steam than The Flying Scotsman.

Politicians of all parties who simply cannot answer a straight question when they are asked it.

GP’s who appear to be still using COVID to avoid actually seeing patients (when Dentists and Opticians have gone back to how it was before COVID). The same Doctors who say that they are struggling to cope with the amount of patients that they have to deal with while at the same time they are advertising that they are willing to accept new patients!

So what really annoys you?
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

People who ride bikes in the street with no hands? There’s no reason for it apart from pointless, childish showing off. I saw a guy fall off about a year ago…I still smile at the thought of it.

I see that all the time and not uncommon to see them do it in heavy traffic. And they are almost never wearing a helmet.

And speaking of bike riders, I see parents who have a helmet for their kids but they themselves are not wearing one. I guess their thinking is well I am an adult. My head will just bounce off the cement no problem.

But most bizarre of all is people who ride with a helmet strapped to the handlebars. Hey at least they made some effort.

c.d.

Comment

A quite famous department store here in America that shall remain nameless but does put on a huge parade every Thanksgiving in New York and is featured prominently in a beloved Christmas movie.

Receive notices in the mail that they are having a huge sale. Ten million percent off. The sale to end all sales. But when you go the store you are told that the particular item you want to purchase is not covered by the sale.

c.d.

Comment

People who spend hours in the bathroom. Mainly women I’m afraid but not solely. How can anyone be in there so long?

Well I will admit to spending a lot of time in the bathroom as a young teen but I was focusing on improving my grooming and hygiene. I swear.

c.d.

Comment

People who leave their trash on a bench when there is literally a trash can just a few feet away.

c.d.

Comment

Good one’s c.d.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Politicians who answer a tricky question by saying "And so...............

There then follows a rambling non answer.

Watch out for it, it's amazing how many of them do it, it's almost like they've been coached!

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                I was at a barbecue a while ago and in the early hours we started talking about the different things that annoyed us. As it got to close on to 3.00am and we knew that we were having another barbecue in two weeks time my friend suggested that we all list some things that annoy us for next time, saying that mine would probably be written on a piece of paper the length of the Bayeux Tapestry. I did have quite a few I must admit.

Surely not!

You do surprise me!

Here are a few. I’d like to here everyone else’s.

Automated phone systems that ask you if you’ve heard about the existence of a thing called the internet and then proceed to give you masses of information in the hope that it will discourage you from staying on the line to actually speak to someone. They then inform you that you’ve called when they are experiencing a particularly high volume of calls.

Agree. Utility companies are the worst offenders and calling them makes me wanna commit hara kiri!!

Annoying, but it's good fun to do I guess!

I'd raise you cyclists who cycle through red lights or go up one way streets the wrong way.

I once saw a guy get busted by the police going through a red light and it really put a spring in my step all day!

My partner always says I get a bit Jeremy Clarkson about cyclists in general though when driving!

People who begin each sentence with the word ‘so.’ Why this weird trend? …”And what do you do for a living?”….“So I work for my local council….!”

Guilty as charged!

People who say ‘pacifically’ instead of ‘specifically.”

Agree. Unforgivable!

TV companies giving you pointless trigger warnings about things that ‘might’ upset you before a programme comes on. Are we such sensitive souls these days that we can become traumatised by Coronation Street? Bored…yes. Upset…no.

Perhaps they could give a trigger warning that a trigger warning is coming so you can avoid?

Soap actors who stand there gaping like a fish without saying anything for ages just before the shows ending or before it goes to a break. It’s supposed to create suspense but it’s just irritatingly unrealistic.

Don't know. I don't watch

People who can’t hold a pen normally. What’s wrong with people these days?

Can't say I've noticed this, but don't think it'd wind me up.

TV announcers and journalists who refer to Coronation Street as ‘The Cobbles!’

Indifferent

Paying for a cup of tea in a café then being given a cup of hot water with a tea bag in it.

I'd go with sh!t coffee generally here.

Alcoholic drinks where the glass is filled almost to the brim with ice.

As long as they've not skimped on the booze, that's fine.

Works well with a lot of cocktails, so I'm pro.

People who go on quiz shows and, when they don’t know the answer to something, say “well, it was before my time!” The Battle of Trafalgar was before my time but I still know when it was!

Fair point. I've never heard anyone say that in this context though.

Food that’s too much effort to eat because you have to mess around peeling it or removing stones or spitting bones out.

No problem. Apart from the bones bit obvs.

People who spend hours in the bathroom. Mainly women I’m afraid but not solely. How can anyone be in there so long? There should be a timer. For a shower 15 minutes at the most.

Well yeah, we like to faff about in the shower but guys are waaaay worse at the mid morning work toilet break. They take a paper in there and everything. Gross!

People who spend hours on a cash machine acting as if they’ve never seen one before.

Shop assistants who serve you while they are on their phones and look at you as if you’re being ill-mannered by requiring serving.

Rude, I always wait to hand over my money until they actually look up, stop talking and acknowledge my presence.

Footballers (Professional Cheats) rolling around on the floor as if they’ve just been punched by Sonny Liston when they’ve actually just made nothing more than mild ‘contact’ with another player.

Fine if they're Italian.

Reality TV - there’s absolutely nothing ‘real’ about it.

Agree.
                People who don’t say please or thank you. A couple of months ago I was sitting outside of a café with a friend when I saw a couple get up and leave. My friend noticed that the woman had left her phone on the table so she called her back. The woman said “oh, right. I don’t know how I forgot that.” No ‘thank you.’ Nothing. And it was one of those £1000+ flip phones.

Yes. Ignorant.

Lying taxi firms who tell you that the taxi is ‘just around the corner’ when it’s not.

Download an app. It saves all that.
                Dustbin men who insist that you place your bins in the correct position, facing the correct way and not even slightly overfilled. But after they’ve emptied them you have to walk around the street to find your own because the lazy b******s can’t be bothered to return them to the house that they took them from.

Mine always block my drive with the empty bins so on my way to work I have to stop, get out of the car and move them to get out.

People that walk along the street staring at their phones relying on everyone else avoiding walking into them.

Just plough into 'em.

People that intentionally make their cars/motorbikes louder than they need to be.

Yes, although I once had an issue with my exhaust and had to drive around sounding like a boy racer for a couple of days before I could get to the garage. Not my fault but mortifying.

People that wear jeans/trousers as if they’re about to fall down.
                Indifferent.

Young men who walk around with their hand down their trousers. (This one is a case for the return of the death penalty imo)

Now we're talking. Not only do they have their hand down their trousers but they are always rummaging around in there too. It's most unseemly. I'd happily pull the lever here.

People who keep spitting. Why? I never spit.

Agree. It's gross. I'd probably pull the lever here too.

People who make a deafening noise when they blow their nose.

Hmmmm! Possibly guilty here.

Vapers who blow out more steam than The Flying Scotsman.

Particularly if it's something godawful like Cheesy Wotsit flavour.

Politicians of all parties who simply cannot answer a straight question when they are asked it.

​​​​Politicians.

GP’s who appear to be still using COVID to avoid actually seeing patients (when Dentists and Opticians have gone back to how it was before COVID). The same Doctors who say that they are struggling to cope with the amount of patients that they have to deal with while at the same time they are advertising that they are willing to accept new patients!

True!

So what really annoys you?
                "Thingmy"

I'm currently locked in a battle to the death with a girl at work who speaks constantly, but never uses an actual name or a noun.

She will say to me things like "He says can you do the thingmy and talk to that girl when you're done?"

Who's "he"?

Who's "the girl"?

And what in the name of f@!k is the thingmy?????

I'm busy. I don't have time for that bollox so I make a point of ignoring her until she forms a proper sentence.

Comment

People who invent a new term for their "unique" brand of sexual orientation. You know the ones you have to look up. Like when they're attracted to stop signs. Pretentious little ****.

c.d.
                  Last edited by c.d.; 08-16-2024, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Probably loads but my main one is lack of manners and stupidity. I do not mind people being 'educationally challenged' as school is not for everyone etc but no excuse for being stupid.

Comment

I wear a corset for dailywear and I'm so sick of all the bs surrounding them.

It's not torture.

It's not organ crushing.

I can breathe.

It's very comfortable.

You can wear it under most things.

It's not a fetish.

It's great back support.

The end.
                      O have you seen the devle
                      with his mikerscope and scalpul
                      a lookin at a Kidney
                      With a slide cocked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tani View Post
                        I wear a corset for dailywear and I'm so sick of all the bs surrounding them.

It's not torture.

It's not organ crushing.

I can breathe.

It's very comfortable.

You can wear it under most things.

It's not a fetish.

It's great back support.

The end.
                        Hey if they were good enough for Queen Victoria....

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
                          Probably loads but my main one is lack of manners and stupidity. I do not mind people being 'educationally challenged' as school is not for everyone etc but no excuse for being stupid.
                          I’ve seen a schoolteacher on a tv quiz recently being asked who was PM at the end of WW2 and she said Margaret Thatcher.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Laundry detergent and toilet paper kept under lock and key in the drug store so that you have to find a store employee to get it out for you. I understand it because so many people steal these items but still very, very annoying.

c.d.

Comment

TV shows where, after every commercial break, they have to recap what happened before that break. How inattentive do they think people are?
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X