Irritations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    I visit Arlington National Cemetery frequently. They have signs up welcoming visitors to "The Nation's Most Sacred Shrine" and asking people to conduct themselves with dignity and respect at all times and to please remember that these are hallowed grounds.

Every time I read that I think Good Lord! what a sad commentary on society that they actually need to post something like that.

c.d.
    It beggars belief that the authorities felt the need to give behavioural instructions at a place like that. It’s like going to a cathedral and seeing a sign saying ‘please don’t urinate in the font. Thank you.’ A sad indictment.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Any displays of 'entitlement', typically shown by teenagers who expect some special consideration reflective of their spoiled upbringing.

Cyclists, not all cyclists, but those who ride through traffic signals regardless of the colour, or across zebra crossings, and many who ride the sidewalk/pavement expecting pedestrians to get out of their way.
      We do have bicycle lanes on many roads, and our local council, in their infinite wisdom, have made the main street through town into two 10ft wide bicycle lanes. Which means all traffic; cars, trucks & busses, must follow a bicycle, you cannot pass - you just couldn't make this $hit up!

Then, there's people on a bus who take the window seat and, place their bag on the aisle seat next to them, hinting that no-one is welcome to sit beside them.
      Happily, I don't take the bus anymore, but in my younger days I did use public transport.
      Oh, how I miss that audible 'crunch' as I sat myself down right on top of their precious bag, and that howling retort which ranged from "Oh, I'm so sorry....." to "What T. F., you've crushed my....!!", and various exclamations in between.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        Street preachers. Those obnoxious people that stand on the street corner with a microphone or bull horn telling you to repent and get right with the Lord.

c.d.
        Agreed c.d.

They are infuriating.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          Any displays of 'entitlement', typically shown by teenagers who expect some special consideration reflective of their spoiled upbringing.

Cyclists, not all cyclists, but those who ride through traffic signals regardless of the colour, or across zebra crossings, and many who ride the sidewalk/pavement expecting pedestrians to get out of their way.
          We do have bicycle lanes on many roads, and our local council, in their infinite wisdom, have made the main street through town into two 10ft wide bicycle lanes. Which means all traffic; cars, trucks & busses, must follow a bicycle, you cannot pass - you just couldn't make this $hit up!

Then, there's people on a bus who take the window seat and, place their bag on the aisle seat next to them, hinting that no-one is welcome to sit beside them.
          Happily, I don't take the bus anymore, but in my younger days I did use public transport.
          Oh, how I miss that audible 'crunch' as I sat myself down right on top of their precious bag, and that howling retort which ranged from "Oh, I'm so sorry....." to "What T. F., you've crushed my....!!", and various exclamations in between.

I’ve got nothing against cyclists in general Wick but whenever I go to London (once a year) or even Birmingham I realise that my state of alertness has to be up near to ‘antelope at a watering hole’ levels due to cyclists. They go onto the pavement dodging in and out of pedestrians at ridiculous speeds relying on luck that they don’t hit anyone. And if they have to slam on their brakes entirely due to their own fault they look at their ‘obstacle’ as if they have no right being on the pavement. Adult cyclists shouldn’t be allowed on pavements.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Agreed c.d.

They are infuriating.
            Praise the Lord to that.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

It’s like going to a cathedral and seeing a sign saying ‘please don’t urinate in the font. Thank you.’
              Is that a faux pas?

Whoops!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Is that a faux pas?

Whoops!!!
                Only if they have a sign up.

c.d.

Comment

I’ve got nothing against cyclists in general Wick but whenever I go to London (once a year) or even Birmingham I realise that my state of alertness has to be up near to ‘antelope at a watering hole’ levels due to cyclists. They go onto the pavement dodging in and out of pedestrians at ridiculous speeds relying on luck that they don’t hit anyone. And if they have to slam on their brakes entirely due to their own fault they look at their ‘obstacle’ as if they have no right being on the pavement. Adult cyclists shouldn’t be allowed on pavements.
                  Where I am they have spent ages doing cycle paths. And now they have them cyclists don't use them they still ride on the pavements. Which is against the law but it's not enforced nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post

Where I am they have spent ages doing cycle paths. And now they have them cyclists don't use them they still ride on the pavements. Which is against the law but it's not enforced nowadays.
                    There’s a percentage of cyclist who think that laws don’t apply to them.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

TV weather reports and reporters. It’s simple, just tell us what the weather is going to be like tomorrow. I don’t need to know what part of the planet the wind is coming from and I never need to hear the words ‘low pressure’ or ‘isobars.’ And I certainly don’t need the person giving the report to do it as a kind of choreographed performance art piece.
                      Looking online for weather forecasts - Tuesday between 12.00 and 14.00: Rain - 50%.
                      What does that mean? It's going to rain for an hour? Sporadically? Or there's a 50/50 chance it MIGHT rain at some point during that 2 hour period?
                      Yesterday it suggested that this afternoon would be relatively sunny, so I thought "I'll cut the grass tomorrow!"
                      Checkedthe same source (BBC Weather) this morning... oh no... it's going to get cloudy at 11. and rain from lunchtime through till late afternoon. Bugger that then, I'll rearrange some calls and pull them forward and cut the grass later in the week.
                      Today has been an absolute bloody delight as far as weather is concerned. Barely a cloud in the sky or a waft of wind to be found...

Comment

Adults with illegible handwriting. It’s not difficult to form letters so why can’t people write properly. Why write something in the first place if you don’t appear to care if anyone can read it or not?
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

The person that invented ‘cookies,’ (and I’m not talking about biscuits). Every bloody website you visit you have to accept or reject. Just ban them. Problem solved.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

The fact that this country collapses into turmoil when we have a light dusting of snow or a couple of inches of rain. Then 2 weeks without rain and there’s talk of hosepipe bans. We might complain that we don’t live in a tropical climate but we certainly live in a mild one weather-wise and yet we still can’t cope. It’s always been like this. Our weather is rarely a surprise us so why can’t the authorities cope?
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

People that won’t use their phone in the normal way. They hold it out in front of them with the caller on speaker phone so that everyone has to listen to their inane conversation.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

People who pout stupidly when taking a selfie.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X