• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Side Story (1961)
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I’ve probably missed out on loads of great films just because they don’t sound interesting to me and so I can’t persuade myself to watch them. For years my friend kept telling me to watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles but I held off because I just didn’t think I’d like it and here it is on my top twenty list.
      Hi Herlock,

Have you watched "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" and "Anger Management 2003"? You might like them too.
      Dumb and Dumber is a movie I didn't think I'd like, but my wife and I laugh all the way through it. Jeff Daniels' bathroom scene was scripted as a short scene but his improvisation earned him one of the funniest sequences in movies.

Cheers, George
      The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Nice lists, definitely gonna check out some listed that I’ve not seen.
        Here’s a bunch of my favourites that spring to mind.

Goodfellas

The Good the Bad & The Ugly

Dial M for Murder

Great Expectations (1946)

Pulp Fiction

Monty Python and the holy grail

Forest Gump

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Paths of Glory

The Sting

Raging Bull

In The Name Of The Father

Mutiny on The Bounty

The Rebel

School for Scoundrels

The Ladykillers

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

True Grit

City of God

Run Lola Run

Comment

[QUOTE=Yabs;n835678]Nice lists, definitely gonna check out some listed that I’ve not seen.

Jeremiah.Johnson.1972.1080p.x264.AC.5.1.EN.CZ
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi Herlock,

Have you watched "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" and "Anger Management 2003"? You might like them too.
            Dumb and Dumber is a movie I didn't think I'd like, but my wife and I laugh all the way through it. Jeff Daniels' bathroom scene was scripted as a short scene but his improvisation earned him one of the funniest sequences in movies.

Cheers, George
            I remember watching Dirty Rotten Scoundrels many years ago but it was one of those times where a saw it after a night out with mates so I ended up falling asleep part way through. I haven’t seen the other two either. Dumb and Dumber is one of those movies where friends say to me “Seriously? You’ve never seen…”
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Yabs View Post
              Nice lists, definitely gonna check out some listed that I’ve not seen.
              Here’s a bunch of my favourites that spring to mind.

Goodfellas

The Good the Bad & The Ugly

Dial M for Murder

Great Expectations (1946)

Pulp Fiction

Monty Python and the holy grail

Forest Gump

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Paths of Glory

The Sting

Raging Bull

In The Name Of The Father

Mutiny on The Bounty

The Rebel

School for Scoundrels

The Ladykillers

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

True Grit

City of God

Run Lola Run
              Some great movies there Yabs.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

For a grumpy old git (quoting my daughter here...) I actually watch a lot of comedy but with movies, the story needs to be sufficently complex to make me wanna come back to it. Around 1998 - 2005 produced the best comedies in he space of just a few years and we all like a good laugh, don't we?

The Sting
                Alien
                Aliens (yes, a sequel that was genuinely different and awesome at the same time)
                Nosferatu (Murnau)
                Exorcist (Like Nosferatu, a horror movie that relied on photography and sound design for creeps rather than CGI)
                12 Monkeys
                Monster
                One Hour photo shop

In the comedy section meanwhile we find:
                Zoolander
                Hot Fuzz
                Shawn of the Dead
                Lock, Stock and 2 smoking barrels
                Snatch
                Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
                Big Lebowski
                Some like it hot
                Kingpin
                5th Element
                Mars Attacks!

That's about it.

One Final point, I'm trying to get all of them on DVD/4K (work in progress...). especially with Horror/Sci-Fi, the sound and picture quality is noticably degraded with streaming services and "lo-if" just really bugs me. People should have a half-decent DVD player and ideally a proper 5.1 surround setup instead of a soundbar although I concede that this is not always possible to integrate in a livingroom setup....
                Last edited by Svensson; 06-10-2024, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
                  For a grumpy old git (quoting my daughter here...) I actually watch a lot of comedy but with movies, the story needs to be sufficently complex to make me wanna come back to it. Around 1998 - 2005 produced the best comedies in he space of just a few years and we all like a good laugh, don't we?

The Sting
                  Alien
                  Aliens (yes, a sequel that was genuinely different and awesome at the same time)
                  Nosferatu (Murnau)
                  Exorcist (Like Nosferatu, a horror movie that relied on photography and sound design for creeps rather than CGI)
                  12 Monkeys
                  Monster
                  One Hour photo shop

In the comedy section meanwhile we find:
                  Zoolander
                  Hot Fuzz
                  Shawn of the Dead
                  Lock, Stock and 2 smoking barrels
                  Snatch
                  Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
                  Big Lebowski
                  Some like it hot
                  Kingpin
                  5th Element
                  Mars Attacks!

That's about it.

One Final point, I'm trying to get all of them on DVD/4K (work in progress...). especially with Horror/Sci-Fi, the sound and picture quality is noticably degraded with streaming services and "lo-if" just really bugs me. People should have a half-decent DVD player and ideally a proper 5.1 surround setup instead of a soundbar although I concede that this is not always possible to integrate in a livingroom setup....
                  Good stuff Svensson. I see we both have Nosferatu on our lists. I like Vampyr by Dreyer too. I do quite like silent movies. I’m currently excited because I know that some Sherlock Holmes silent movies are being cleaned up for release at last. Yes, that’s how easily pleased am.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Okie dokie, off we go into the wide blue yonder!

Withnail and I - An absolutely flawless masterpiece.

Blade Runner - "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe".

Throne of Blood - Samurai Macbeth, and the most colourful black and white movie ever made.

Les Enfants du Paradis - Filmed during the German occupation Paris, and heart breakingly beautiful.

Where's Poppa - One of the darkest and funniest of comedies. George Segal and Ruth Gordon rip it up. "Wheres Poppa?" "Still dead!"

The Muppets Christmas Carol - The best ever adaptation of A Christmas Carol. How can that be?

Atlantic City - Burt Lancaster's finest performance. A beautiful film about love and loss.

Once Upon a time in America - Sergio Leone's masterpiece. Watch only the full 3hr 49 minutes version, accept no others. And the soundtrack by Ennio Morricone is astonishing.

Seven Samurai - Toshiro Mifune kicks some serious ass.

Citizen Kane - It's on all the best movies lists for a reason.

Dracula - The Hammer 1958 version is a taut exercise in foreboding.

Point Blank - John Boorman gives Lee Marvin the role of his life.

Blazing Saddles - "They're always coming and going, and going and coming, and always too soon!"

Night of the Demon - Jacques Tourneur meets M.R. James.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                      Okie dokie, off we go into the wide blue yonder!

Withnail and I - An absolutely flawless masterpiece.

Blade Runner - "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe".

Throne of Blood - Samurai Macbeth, and the most colourful black and white movie ever made.

Les Enfants du Paradis - Filmed during the German occupation Paris, and heart breakingly beautiful.

Where's Poppa - One of the darkest and funniest of comedies. George Segal and Ruth Gordon rip it up. "Wheres Poppa?" "Still dead!"

The Muppets Christmas Carol - The best ever adaptation of A Christmas Carol. How can that be?

Atlantic City - Burt Lancaster's finest performance. A beautiful film about love and loss.

Once Upon a time in America - Sergio Leone's masterpiece. Watch only the full 3hr 49 minutes version, accept no others. And the soundtrack by Ennio Morricone is astonishing.

Seven Samurai - Toshiro Mifune kicks some serious ass.

Citizen Kane - It's on all the best movies lists for a reason.

Dracula - The Hammer 1958 version is a taut exercise in foreboding.

Point Blank - John Boorman gives Lee Marvin the role of his life.

Blazing Saddles - "They're always coming and going, and going and coming, and always too soon!"

Night of the Demon - Jacques Tourneur meets M.R. James.
                      Some interesting choices Barn; and quite a few that I haven’t seen which is hardly surprising) You’ve mentioned another movie that people say “what? You’ve never seen…..?!” I’ve never gotten around to watching Withnail And I.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Some interesting choices Barn; and quite a few that I haven’t seen which is hardly surprising) You’ve mentioned another movie that people say “what? You’ve never seen…..?!” I’ve never gotten around to watching Withnail And I.

You will Love it Herlock, and quote it forever.

Comment

In no particular order...

The Wild Geese
                          Zulu
                          Django Unchained
                          Desperado
                          The Godfather
                          Hot Fuzz
                          Shaun of the Dead
                          Reservoir Dogs
                          Fury
                          Dances with Wolves
                          Enter the Dragon
                          The Fifth Element
                          Leon
                          Full Metal Jacket
                          The Hitman's Bodyguard
                          Meet Joe Black
                          The Untouchables
                          The Krays (Remake)
                          The Italian Job (original)
                          Collateral
                          Split
                          Heat
                          The Elephant Man
                          The Departed
                          Kill Bill

Quite an eclectic mix, but that's at least 25 movies that I consider worthy of repeated viewings

RD
                          "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

I do not think this one has been mentioned yet but a fave of mine is...

Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Cheers RD. Some good stuff there. A friend of mine advised me a couple of days ago to watch Django Unchained. I’ll have to get around to watching it because whenever he’s recommended something to me in the past it’s turned out to be good.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Cheers RD. Some good stuff there. A friend of mine advised me a couple of days ago to watch Django Unchained. I’ll have to get around to watching it because whenever he’s recommended something to me in the past it’s turned out to be good.
                                I'd highly recommend it.

NO SPOILERS...but there's one particular scene in the movie where something goes horribly wrong, but instead of shouting "CUT!" the director kept the camera rolling, and they ended up keeping it in the final cut.

I can't say what it is because it wouldn't be fair on yourself or anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but it would be interesting to see who can spot the incident I am referring to.

When you know what went wrong and then watch the scene again, it amplifies the scene considerably

RD
                                "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Working...
                                X