Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Atheist Billboards in California:"I Believe in Humanity, Not god"

c.d.

The idea being you can't believe in both? I know that when I think of all the sponsored charities that have been around for centuries, helping billions of people, I always think of atheists. What an organized aid to humanity they've been. They just keep on givin'. Here in America, thousands of poor and homeless will enjoy a hot, homestyle turkey meal thanks to atheists. What humanitarians they are!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

On the other hand, they never burned anybody at the stake or flew planes into the world trade towers.

c.d.

Comment

Hi CD

I don't see why we hear the word "atheist" so often. Is nobody an agnostic these days?

I think if you look at the Pol Pot regime, you'll have to admit that it was a tad brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
          On the other hand, they never burned anybody at the stake
          Politicians.

Originally posted by c.d.
          or flew planes into the world trade towers.

c.d.
          They're about as worthwhile as atheists. And is that girl's pic really on the billboard? I mean...really? Somebody has a book to sell. And spelling God's name in lowercase is extraordinarily disrespectful.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            The idea being you can't believe in both? I know that when I think of all the sponsored charities that have been around for centuries, helping billions of people, I always think of atheists. What an organized aid to humanity they've been. They just keep on givin'. Here in America, thousands of poor and homeless will enjoy a hot, homestyle turkey meal thanks to atheists. What humanitarians they are!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
            I can't speak for American atheists, but how can you possibly know the percentage of believers and non-believers who donate to every charitable organisation, regardless of who runs it, paid or unpaid? The donations come from all and sundry, and nobody (I sincerely hope) is ever asked if they believe in God. They just keep on givin' regardless.

The only difference I can see is that atheists who give their time or money for the benefit of others in this life are not hoping or expecting to receive any heavenly reward for doing so. Maybe that's why you don't believe they would give anything to charity - because they wouldn't get anything back?

Love,

Caz
            X
            Last edited by caz; 11-28-2013, 05:05 AM.
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hello Robert,

Are you implying that Pol Pot did what he did because he was an atheist? Since there are atheists who are kind, caring people with high morals, I think the better conclusion is that Pol Pot did what he did simply because he was an extremely evil person.

c.d.

Comment

Hi CD

Yes, he did it partly because he was an atheist, i.e. for ideological reasons. Of course there are good atheists, just as there are bad Christians, Moslems, Jews etc. I'm just making the point that atheism can be a spur to cruelty, just like anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                  And spelling God's name in lowercase is extraordinarily disrespectful.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                  It isn't necessarily. As an atheist doesn't simply not believe in one god, but doesn't believe in any god, it is correct for them to not capitalize. In other words, they are not using it as a proper noun the way you would when referring to a specific entity. They are using it as a general noun the way you would when describing a profession.

So my dad is a doctor, but when addressed or referred to in specifics, he is called "Doctor".

And blanket capitalization of gods get people into trouble more often than not, which is why I don't do it. That and it's just easier to make it lowercase than do what I am supposed to do to be traditionally respectful. For example I get a lot of flak if I capitalize "god" when referring to Allah, or the Hindu pantheon, or various African religions. Mostly by people who say something along the lines of "Well he's not MY god" (or worse, "he's not a real god") and think I should only capitalize the "Judeo-Christian" god (despite the fact there is no such thing) or I'm being disrespectful. And if I'm going to be damned if I do and damned if I don't, then I'm going to save myself the headache and be damned if I don't.

I can't possibly be expected to keep track of who believes what. So since I'm referring mostly to a profession, I use lower case. If I'm talking about a specific god, I'll use that god's name and capitalize it. Except my own, and that has to do with the personal relationship not the rules.
                  The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

God's name? I bet Tom thinks his father's name is Dad.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

I've always believed in God there is nothing wrong with people who don't everyone is entitled to their opinion believing in God gives a lot of people comfort in times of great need.
                      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Hi Ally

Briefly off topic : is there any way I can get the drop down menu for posts last 24 hours/last 7 days back again? A few days ago it was replaced with the Buddy list - it's the position next to logout.

Comment

These billboards seem to imply that atheists and believers are in conflict? I have a Christian belief, but I don't have a problem with atheists. I view them as I would view members of other religious faiths. I respect their views and their entitlement to them.

Of course, I believe in God, but I also believe in humanity. Personally, I cannot imagine one without the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post

Of course, I believe in God, but I also believe in humanity. Personally, I cannot imagine one without the other.
                            That's what I was saying. No group in the last two hundred years has done more for humanity than the Christians, yet atheists constantly harp about stake burning and religious persecution and how 'inhumane' Christians are. Atheists seem to like to also imply that all Christians are somehow Catholic and try to apply all the negative things of that group to all Christians.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

"No group in the last two hundred years has done more for humanity than the Christians..."

Native Americans and black slaves during the Civil War might have a different take on that. Just saying.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                              X