Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
    Hello Fleetwood Mac!

I have to say, that at least in Finland school shootings seems to go hand in hand with economical depression.

I am not for complete freedom of carrying arms, but in that sense you are right, that the path of more restrictions is close to its end on this side of the Atlantic. OK, enough of that; I still owe apologies for too rough language about gun-talks with some Americans here.

Beowulf, if I ever end up to Arizona, what piece of food is a must there?!

All the best
    Jukka
    Hello Jukka,

Well, the battle of ideas is still alive and well in England. The problem we have is that there are so many of us on a small island that in order to co-exist we have to give ground, but inherently we know that what is deemed to be good or the majority is not necessarily good for the soul.

I think the French tourist board put up something like: "the English are innately conservative" on their travel site; and I could be wrong here but I think that in every election since the year dot the majority of English people have voted for the Conservative Party. The reason we have liberal parties in government here is because Scotland and Wales tip it in their favour on occasion. If I'm right, which I think I am, it is some statistic.

Also, everyone here, it doesn't matter where you live, dreams of a home in the country. Our cities and towns are not like orderly European cities in that ours have been knocked up any old how because we all instinctively want to live in the country: the towns and cities are a means to an end and not something to really care about.

So, what does this mean for guns and the like: you just can't tell law abiding citizens what to do on the back of a few idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
      Hello Mac,

Glad you had a good time here in the U.S. How was the temperature at which the beer was served compared to what you are used to back home?

c.d.
      Hello c.d.,

Fine. No problem. I have my preferences but the beer in the US was good enough for me. Yeah, a touch 'chilled' for my liking but I've had much worse!

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
        Beowulf, if I ever end up to Arizona, what piece of food is a must there?!

All the best
        Jukka
        Jukka,

We're not exactly famous for our excellence in gastronomical delights but well, you might like trying our mesquite grilled steaks. Those mesquite fires really make the steaks deeelicious.

There was a place called Reata Pass, was actually there in the 1800s, I guess they are currently out of business, Greasewood flats doing the same, just up the road ( http://www.greasewoodflat.net/).

They have a huge long metal barrel cut in half and standing up on metal legs.
        In it they pile a huge amount of mesquite wood, run the fire hot and on top is a metal grill going the whole length. They throw the T-bones on there and mmmmm, really, they are fantastic. There is a certain different flavor to mesquite broiling.

They serve them kind of in a cowboy setting, with a live country band on picnic tables set with red and white tablecloths, you get cowboy beans, corn on the cob, beer. People dance to the music, a lot of real cowboys and cowgirls go there. Just fun.

All under a huge starry desert sky, with saguros and sagebrush about, it's out in the desert. The scent of the desert is quite intoxicating, by the way, and seriously the stars overhead are lovely. Believe me, the coyotes smell those steaks for miles and come round the dumpsters after everyone has gone home, get away lil doggie...

Kinda fun. http://www.reatapass.net/

The Mexican food is hit and miss, a lot of not so good but don't miss that, either, if you come here. My fav place is Macayo's in Tempe, been there a while, I love their tacos, and although I'm not a beer drinker I love to have a Corona with lime with dinner. Yum.

Last edited by Beowulf; 11-09-2013, 06:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
        X