The United States (Southern end)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post

If you think these people remotely see themselves as Irish then you're miles away from the mark.
    I agree with what you are saying.

I mean, let's be honest. There is the truth of the Scotch-Irish of the 1700s, the historical take on the Scotch-Irish, and the local interpretation of the Scotch-Irish. The way Tennesseans see the Scotch-Irish may be miles and miles off the mark. But it isn't just what they were actually like that contributes to our culture. Our perception of them alters us just as much. And in many ways we are appallingly wrong. But that's okay. The myth is as important. So don't judge us harshly.

We all have our origin myths.
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
      I agree with what you are saying.

I mean, let's be honest. There is the truth of the Scotch-Irish of the 1700s, the historical take on the Scotch-Irish, and the local interpretation of the Scotch-Irish. The way Tennesseans see the Scotch-Irish may be miles and miles off the mark. But it isn't just what they were actually like that contributes to our culture. Our perception of them alters us just as much. And in many ways we are appallingly wrong. But that's okay. The myth is as important. So don't judge us harshly.

We all have our origin myths.
      Yeah, it is well documented round these parts that certain countries, Ireland and Scotland, created a history for themselves during the 1700s as oppressed peoples with distinct traditions. Ireland have more of a case for this. Scotland wilfully joined the Union in 1707 and gained from it more than they ever could have done as a stand alone nation. Similarly, England gained a lot from this union because like us the Scottish punched above their weight and they achieved a lot in areas of engineering, philosophy, science and medicine. Much of what they created for themselves is romantic yearnings for an imaginary past. But the union between England and Scotland most be the most successful partnership in world history considering the population size of both countries.

As noted earlier, lowland Scots, the majority, were protestant and loyal to the crown; and the more I'm reading it turns out that the supposed 'Scotch-Irish' were Northern English and lowland Scots who colonised Ulster.

I'm certainly not judging you, Errata. These things take form easily. It is commonly believed in England that the North East of England has the highest concentration of Anglo-Saxons, but it is simply popular history. I'm from the North East and have researched our history and it turns out that County Durham was pretty much empty until the beginning of the 18th century and people came here from all over England and Ireland looking for work when coal in abundance was discovered. Turns out that in certain areas there are an inordinate amount of people with Irish ancestry, places like Seaham and Sunderland, which were colonised by the Irish around the 1850s.

Comment

[QUOTE=Fleetwood Mac;279341]Just come back from a couple of weeks in the US, and thought I'd put a few observations down on paper for anyone interested in an English perspective or non US citizens looking to visit the US.

The weather: they're obsessed with it! Every 10 minutes there's a weather forecast on the tele. In England, the weather forecaster does her/his routine which usually amounts to "it's still raining, everywhere" and the presenters show absolutely no interest and quickly move onto sport; but not in the US: the presenters get involved, all ten of them, and they have a leisurely chat about the weather for a good few minutes every ten minutes. I woke up in the night couldn't sleep one night and turned the tele on to find a map of the US with a line circling the map in some sort of weather forecast! This just went on for an hour: one map; one rotating line. It appeared to be a weather tele station!(QUOTE]

This cracked me up. Omg, it's good to see yourself from someone else's stance. heheh

Comment

Hello Beowulf!

As a European too interested in television series I have to ask;

Do you know, if New Mexico is a safer place than a tv-series about a cancer-stricken chemistry teacher suggests?!

All the best
          Jukka
          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

I'm just glad others have read Fischer......Started with his Revwar stuff, then had to get "Seed" as US friends raved about it. Our US trip did Virginia...Blue Ridge, Richmond, Jamestown and Williamsburg...........

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
              Hello Beowulf!

As a European too interested in television series I have to ask;

Do you know, if New Mexico is a safer place than a tv-series about a cancer-stricken chemistry teacher suggests?!

All the best
              Jukka
              Actually don't know anything about New Mexico. I live in Phoenix. However, I was surprised to see Roswell, the famous place where the aliens supposedly crashed, is a hotbed of crime, according to online stats.

and that series was awesome, although I was not a regular watcher, but my friend in PA was. The ending was strickly Soprano's, heheh.

and remember, the most dangerous guy in this country, who stopped one of our most dangerous criminals...Al Capone...was the government.

Do NOT forget to pay your taxes. They WILL get you.

I'm sure we all sound like crazy people over here running around with machine guns and popping off at the first 5 year old we see...but I live in Phx and I have never seen a person with an automatic rifle in hand, and here it's LEGAL to carry guns.

I feel very safe here, have lived here since 1970.

and that series was awesome, although I was not a regular watcher, but my friend in PA was. That ending was strictly Soprano's, heheh.

and remember, the most dangerous in this country, powerful enough to stop one of our most dangerous criminals...Al Capone...was the government.

Do NOT forget to pay your taxes. They WILL get you.
              Last edited by Beowulf; 11-05-2013, 09:15 PM. Reason: additions

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post

I'm sure we all sound like crazy people over here running around with machine guns and popping
                I'm sure you don't need telling this but bear in mind that you're principles are absolutely right.

You are right to think that when you give ground to the government they'll want more. We pay £8 for 20 cigarettes; you pay £3.50. We pay far more in petrol. The difference is the government's profit.

You are absolutely right to be wary of giving ground to the government over anything - including guns which are one avenue of many in individual rights.

The only time we seem to come alive is when our homes are threatened. When the channel tunnel was being built it was knocked up in a crack at the French end. In England, it was a case of not in my back garden and there were countless petitions and the like trying to at least delay it for a long time.

But when it comes to other areas we get royally shafted and that's because we've bent over and taken it right up the arse.

I don't need to say this as you understand this point well but I will - don't be fooled by any European trying to tell you that banning things is a good idea. They're that far gone in Europe they've lost all track of individual freedom and we're teetering on the brink unless we get a grip on ourselves.

Comment

Hello Fleetwood Mac!

I have to say, that at least in Finland school shootings seems to go hand in hand with economical depression.

I am not for complete freedom of carrying arms, but in that sense you are right, that the path of more restrictions is close to its end on this side of the Atlantic. OK, enough of that; I still owe apologies for too rough language about gun-talks with some Americans here.

Beowulf, if I ever end up to Arizona, what piece of food is a must there?!

All the best
                  Jukka
                  "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

The Americans like to own guns but don't seem to like using them. One keeps hearing of scumbags running amok and shooting everyone in sight - but in the end they are either shot by the police, or turn their weapons on themselves. It's puzzling, but people don't seem to whip out their guns and solve the problem. I think someone told me once that Americans keep their guns in their bedside cabinets, which is fine if you're home but useless if you're out and about.

Comment

Robert,

Most states allow citizens to carry firearms for personal protection. In my state you are issued a license after passing a firearms safety, marksmanship and legal class, and a background check.

These wanton shootings are not happening where legally armed citizens are present; they're happening for the most part in so-called 'gun free zones' where even licensed citizens can't carry. Which means only the criminal will be armed.

There are many cases where criminals have been stopped by armed citizens. You just don't hear about them because it doesn't fit the agenda of the mainstream press, unless its something controversial like the Trevon Martin incident.
                      Best Wishes,
                      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Hi Hunter

Well, that's good if civilians are stopping these people. Yes, I see what you mean about the no gun areas - I suppose that applies to the school massacres. I do remember a case where a man in a restaurant went berserk with a gun and no one shot him. Do the marksmanship classes involve armed action training, or is it just a case of teaching people to fire at a stationary target?

Comment

In my state, the basic class includes shooting at stationary targets, but you also are given instructions on the legal aspects of defense and visuals that teach you when to shoot and when its advised not to.

Many take advanced classes that further training but its not required. However, most people who I know who carry, practice more than the police do and take their rights and responsibilities seriously.
                          Best Wishes,
                          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Ok Hunter, thanks.

Comment

Hello Mac,

Glad you had a good time here in the U.S. How was the temperature at which the beer was served compared to what you are used to back home?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                                In my state, the basic class includes shooting at stationary targets, but you also are given instructions on the legal aspects of defense and visuals that teach you when to shoot and when its advised not to.

Many take advanced classes that further training but its not required. However, most people who I know who carry, practice more than the police do and take their rights and responsibilities seriously.
                                But I have to admit I would be curious as to how many people out there were witnesses to these kinds of crimes, were carrying, and did nothing? Statistically they have to be out there. I wonder how many it is?
                                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X