• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crime and Punishment

Comment

Underground Man.

Hello Michael. Thanks.

"I am a mean man; I am a spiteful man. I think I may have a diseased liver." (heh-heh)

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
        Difficult choice, and definitely not Ripper-related...

There really are so many...but fiction-wise probably Lord of the Rings which, (after the Hobbit at age 7), I came late to, and first read at the age of 17 - I've read it at least twice a year ever since, and still find something new in it every now and again

Non-Fiction would be an ecuminical matter...

All the best

Dave
        I've read Lord of the Rings more times than I can count, but not lately, that was 'then'. However, none of the movies can hold a candle to Tolkien's writing, he's really a great writer. Read the Hobbit a couple of times, too.

I did read a book lately called Spindrift, by Jan Bryant Bartell. Man, I lived in it. I painted it. I just got back from Manhattan taking pictures of it. Me on the townhouse stoop where the author wrote about her life in the haunted townhouse in NYC Greenwich Village. I haven't been to the Village in years. That book gave me the motivation to train-trek over there from NJ. That really is my favorite, right now.

I love reading.

Other fav books have been: Patti Boyd's Wonderful Tonight.
        Fatal Tryst/Gerald Tomlinson about the Hall Mills murders.
        Gone with the wind/Margaret Mitchell.
        I Claudius/Robert Graves.
        History of witchcraft and Salem village/Charles Upham.
        Little Witch/Anna Elizabeth Bennett.
        Poltergeists fact or fancy/ Sacheverell Sitwell.
        Cape May Ghost Stories and Shipwrecks and Legends round Cape May/Seibold and Adams. (Most anything by Seibold and Adams)
        The 12 Caesars/Suetonius
        Fall River Tragedy/Edwin Porter
        Bambi/Felix Salten
        Green Mansion/William Henry Hudson
        Last edited by Beowulf; 10-20-2013, 09:31 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Comment

Originally posted by robhouse View Post
            Crime and Punishment
            Coming from Rob House...priceless!

Comment

Oh... and of course A Light In The Attic.
              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

LOTR (again...)
                Collected Lovecraft
                Northwest Passage (Roberts)
                Sword at Sunset (Sutcliff)
                Any of the Flashman series...Oh,and G McD F's War memoirs "Quartered safe out here"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
                  LOTR (again...)
                  Collected Lovecraft
                  Any of the Flashman series...Oh,and G McD F's War memoirs "Quartered safe out here"
                  Read lovecraft which is excellent read most of the flashmans which are excellent as well.
                  Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Actually, Rob House's favourite book is "The Night They Raided Kosminsky's" by Rowland Barber.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                      Read lovecraft which is excellent read most of the flashmans which are excellent as well.
                      I've read the Flashman books.
                      I consider ' Flashman ' the best entry.
                      It deals with the retreat from Kabul: a testimony to tactical brilliance.
                      SCORPIO

Comment

I rate Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy as my favorite piece of fiction.
                        Frank Herbert's Dune has to be greatest sci fi novel ever.
                        Truman Capote's In cold blood is the greatest crime novel.
                        William Peter Blatty's The Excorcist is the greatest horror novel.
                        Scott Turow's Presumed innocent is the best suspense novel.
                        In the true crime arena, helter skelter and Zodiac are probably my faves.
                        Charriere's Papillon is the greatest autobiography.
                        SCORPIO

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
                          LOTR (again...)
                          Collected Lovecraft
                          Pyrates and the American by Frazier were excellent as well. I read Flashman when I was in the military. The last few weren't out yet, so I waited and waited and was in such a feeling of euphoria as each subsequent book came out after I was finished with my enlistment. Those books were a historian's work with great humor. Nothing ever reached me like Flashman.

mike
                          huh?

Comment

Forgot to mention his "The Steel Bonnets" Marvellous history of the Border Reivers........

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpio View Post
                              I rate Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy as my favorite piece of fiction.
                              Frank Herbert's Dune has to be greatest sci fi novel ever.
                              Truman Capote's In cold blood is the greatest crime novel.
                              William Peter Blatty's The Excorcist is the greatest horror novel.
                              Scott Turow's Presumed innocent is the best suspense novel.
                              In the true crime arena, helter skelter and Zodiac are probably my faves.
                              Charriere's Papillon is the greatest autobiography.
                              Good taste in books especially papillon the exorcist is a very good horror book however I think the devil rides out by Dennis wheatley is the best horror book of all time
                              Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Being a bit of an amateur criminologist I love reading about true crimes. I must have read thousands of books over the years on the subject.

However, I have recently discovered an author by the name of Ann Rule. She has written about 27 books and I've read about six of them so far.

The book that I HIGHLY recommend is called 'Everything She Ever Wanted'. (Check out the reviews on Amazon). It's the true story of a series of complex murders and explores the personality of a very sick woman. This really is a page turner, you won't be able to put it down!

Ann Rule's research into her subject matter is phenomenal yet she writes in a way that you feel as though you're reading a novel.

I shall be buying more of her books.
                                This is simply my opinion

Comment

Working...
                                X