Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    Ms. Diddles,

Check out "In the Kingdom of Ice." It is excellent.

c.d.
    Thanks for the tip, c.d!

That does indeed look interesting.

I'm not familiar with the USS Jeannette, but I have just ordered a copy anyway.

It gets good reviews on Amazon too.

Comment

You are quite welcome, Ms. Diddles. And now for something completely different -- I highly recommend "Manhunt" by James Swanson describing the hunt for John Wilkes Booth and "Hellhound on His Trail" by Hampton Sides the story of the hunt for the assassin of Martin Luther King. Both are real page turners. Check out the reviews on amazon. Happy reading.

c.d.

Comment

You are quite welcome, Ms. Diddles. And now for something completely different -- I highly recommend "Manhunt" by James Swanson describing the hunt for John Wilkes Booth and "Hellhound on His Trail" by Hampton Sides the story of the hunt for the assassin of Martin Luther King. Both are real page turners. Check out the reviews on amazon. Happy reading.

c.d.
        Hmmmm! Interesting!

I will check these out, c.d!

To be honest, I'm not a history buff in general.

I kind of have very specific topics which I get really into.

It's generally limited to Ripper / London in the LVP, Polar Exploration and the Stuarts / Tudors.

I went through a weird phase of consuming biographies of various physicists and mathematicians.

I'm not really sure what prompted that, but I remember the Paul Dirac (The Strangest Man) being a winner!!!!

Comment

Yes, they are history oriented but it is all about THE CHASE. The hunt for Martin Luther King was the largest manhunt in U.S. history. As for Booth, Secretary of War Stanton said there is no other priority but to catch Lincoln's killer.

c.d.

Comment

One of the more memorable books I've read was The Gunpowder Plot, by Antonia Fraser. It isn't just about a failed attempt to blow up the houses of parliament, there is more intrigue than that.
            There is sufficient cause to argue Guy Fawkes was framed, the whole plot may have been a set up to put the Catholics in a negative light, there's a lot of behind-the-scene maneuvering, espionage & intrigue.

Another one I think of as special is, King Arthur by Norma Goodrich. Finally we have an author who treats the legend with a bit of realism, and uses archaeology and rational explanation to present a viable northern warlord in the post Roman period of an England before there were any kings.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

That's my copy of Kingdom of Ice just arrived.

It looks excellent!

Looking forward to getting into it when I've finished my current Franklin reading!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
                That's my copy of Kingdom of Ice just arrived.

It looks excellent!

Looking forward to getting into it when I've finished my current Franklin reading!
                Glad to hear it. Let me know how you liked it when you are done.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Hmmmm! Interesting!

I will check these out, c.d!

To be honest, I'm not a history buff in general.

I kind of have very specific topics which I get really into.

It's generally limited to Ripper / London in the LVP, Polar Exploration and the Stuarts / Tudors.

I went through a weird phase of consuming biographies of various physicists and mathematicians.

I'm not really sure what prompted that, but I remember the Paul Dirac (The Strangest Man) being a winner!!!!
                  dirac was a mad genius.. like the tesla of physicists. I have more physics/science books in my library than anything. read cosmos by sagan in seventh grade and have been hooked ever since.

Comment

c.d.
                    I certainly will!

It may take me a wee while to get to it, as I'm still on Franklin (and text books for my course), but yeah, I'll let you know!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

dirac was a mad genius.. like the tesla of physicists. I have more physics/science books in my library than anything. read cosmos by sagan in seventh grade and have been hooked ever since.
                      Agreed! Cosmos is great!

I have a copy of it on my shelf which a friend found for me in a charity shop.

I dip into it all the time.

I've some good books on black holes (Neil DeGrasse Tyson etc). I seem to quite like them as subject matter!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

Mentioning Sagan made me think of that Gary Larson cartoon with the caption "a young Carl Sagan." It shows a teen aged Sagan standing on a hill with his girl friend. He says "look at the stars, Mary. There must he hundreds and hundreds of them."

c.d.

Comment

Mentioning Sagan made me think of that Gary Larson cartoon with the caption "a young Carl Sagan." It shows a teen aged Sagan standing on a hill with his girl friend. He says "look at the stars, Mary. There must he hundreds and hundreds of them."

c.d.
                          LOL! dont even get me going on the far side!

Comment

c.d.
                            Interestingly, I had never heard of the USS Jeannette expedition until you mentioned "In the Kingdom of Ice".

By sheer coincidence, it was mentioned in the last chapter of the Franklin book "Frozen In Time" which I was reading.

In the interests of continuity I bumped it to the top of my reading pile and am now in the middle of it.

I'm really enjoying it.

Thanks for the tip, c.d!

Comment

For stuff at sea, I'd say "Kon Tiki" is a must (although I suspect most have read it), "117 days Afloat" by Maurice Bailey, and "A Speck on the Sea" by William Longyard, which is a collection of stories of folks who survived at sea in all manner of circumstances.
                              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Working...
                              X