Reading a Real Good Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading a Real Good Book

I enjoy true outdoor adventure books and I am reading a real good one right now. "In Harm's Way" by Doug Stanton. True story of the sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis in World War II by a Japanese torpedo. The Indianapolis was the ship that delivered the atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima. An estimated 300 sailors were killed instantly and close to 900 went into the water where they faced drowning, hypothermia, diesel oil in the water and finally shark attacks. Because of screw ups and the top secret nature of their mission help did not arrive until four days and nights later at which point only 317 men were rescued.

If you enjoy these types of books I highly recommend this one. Available on amazon.

c.d.

Hi c.d.,

Sounds like a good read. You may also enjoy "Death on the Ice", which is an account of a sealing disaster off of Newfoundland in the early 1900s.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post
      Hi c.d.,

Sounds like a good read. You may also enjoy "Death on the Ice", which is an account of a sealing disaster off of Newfoundland in the early 1900s.

- Jeff
      Thanks, Jeff. I have read a number of Arctic books but I will check that one out. None of the expeditions ever seem to go well.

c.d.

Comment

If you remember the scene from Jaws where Chief Brody asks Quint about his tattoo and Quint responds it is the USS Indianapolis. Hooper makes a face like oh ****

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
          If you remember the scene from Jaws where Chief Brody asks Quint about his tattoo and Quint responds it is the USS Indianapolis. Hooper makes a face like oh ****

c.d.
          I watched Jaws yesterday. Great film.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I enjoy true outdoor adventure books and I am reading a real good one right now. "In Harm's Way" by Doug Stanton. True story of the sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis in World War II by a Japanese torpedo. The Indianapolis was the ship that delivered the atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima. An estimated 300 sailors were killed instantly and close to 900 went into the water where they faced drowning, hypothermia, diesel oil in the water and finally shark attacks. Because of screw ups and the top secret nature of their mission help did not arrive until four days and nights later at which point only 317 men were rescued.

If you enjoy these types of books I highly recommend this one. Available on amazon.

c.d.
            incredible story. have you read In the heart of the sea? another incredible story about ship sinking

Comment

Me too. I was watching the scene where Hooper is describing the wounds to the first victim's body and I had the thought that, if he mentions that her uterus was missing, someone on here will claim it was the torso killer. I was somewhat amused, therefore, when the shark expert ended his list by saying "this was no boating accident...and it wasn't Jack the Ripper!".
              I'd never noticed that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                Me too. I was watching the scene where Hooper is describing the wounds to the first victim's body and I had the thought that, if he mentions that her uterus was missing, someone on here will claim it was the torso killer. I was somewhat amused, therefore, when the shark expert ended his list by saying "this was no boating accident...and it wasn't Jack the Ripper!".
                I'd never noticed that before.
                landshark!

Comment

I read Jaws, by Peter Benchley, before I went to see the film. I remember reading it on the train, commuting into London, and feeling distinctly queasy when I came to the description of the first attack. That hardly ever happens to me, but I had to look out of the window for a while and take deep breaths before continuing.

Sometimes the written word can be more powerful than the most dramatic special effects on screen, and that was one example for me. But I'd quite like to see the film remade - with a more realistic shark, and a less hammy Quint.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

With all this talk of ships and the the sea I thought I would mention that I am reading the 'The Longships' by Frans G. Bengtsson at the moment. It is a real ripping yarn. Amazed I did not come across it sooner. It really is very good.
                    Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

incredible story. have you read In the heart of the sea? another incredible story about ship sinking
                      Yes, I did and it is an incredible story. If you are ever in D.C. and the Smithsonian American History Museum has hopefully reopened check out the maritime exhibit. There is a replica of the whaling boat that they would have used to survive in. Amazingly small and completely ill suited for that purpose.

c.d.

Comment

Yes, I did and it is an incredible story. If you are ever in D.C. and the Smithsonian American History Museum has hopefully reopened check out the maritime exhibit. There is a replica of the whaling boat that they would have used to survive in. Amazingly small and completely ill suited for that purpose.

c.d.
                        awesome-thanks cd-will check that out! btw im sure you know this but a little known fact that the true story was the inspiration behind Moby Dick. The movie is good too, and references that point in a cool introduction with a young Mellville coming to the old ship captain to hear his story, which is then told in flashback.

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                          I read Jaws, by Peter Benchley, before I went to see the film. I remember reading it on the train, commuting into London, and feeling distinctly queasy when I came to the description of the first attack. That hardly ever happens to me, but I had to look out of the window for a while and take deep breaths before continuing.

Sometimes the written word can be more powerful than the most dramatic special effects on screen, and that was one example for me. But I'd quite like to see the film remade - with a more realistic shark, and a less hammy Quint.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          Ha! I remember the Peter Benchley book being passed gleefully around my school playground.

I think it contains a (very tame) sex scene where Ellen Brody shows a bit of nipple!

That was before someone nicked their big sisters copy of Flower in the Attic, and we progressed to the harder stuff!!

Comment

I'm going to check out some of these maritime themed books........!

Am currently on a big Franklin trip.

I recently finished Ice Blink and am in the middle of Frozen In Time (2017 edition, so after they found the ships)!

I've really enjoyed both books.

Once lockdown eases I'm planning a trip with a pal to Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh to visit John Irving's grave and raise a glass of rum to him!

Am also hoping to hit the Maritime Museum in Greenwich.

I haven't been to London in years, so will likely post nearer the time to request advice on Ripper walks and East End Pubs as I will be trying to combine the two interests (plus a bit of Harrods / Liberty)

I saw several old threads extolling the virtues of London Pride Ale, so looking forward to giving that a go too.

No idea when it will feel ok to travel though.

I'm thinking this winter or next spring....

Comment

Ms. Diddles,

Check out "In the Kingdom of Ice." It is excellent.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                              X