Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Names

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Names

    I’ve often wondered where some posters names come from? Some are obvious - my own, Wickerman, Dupin, Fisherman for example but some aren’t.

    Does anyone want to enlighten me/us without giving anything away that you don’t want to of course?
    Regards

    Herlock




    “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
    As night descends upon this fabled street:
    A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
    The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
    Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
    And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

  • #2
    Its a play on the first three letters of my first and last name and the numbers come from a number that I used for 23 years
    And while I'm here, how do you insert the text down the bottom, I mean like you Herlock, you have a yellow fog etc?
    "Seek the absence of the normal, and find the presence of the abnormal"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Juniper4576 View Post
      Its a play on the first three letters of my first and last name and the numbers come from a number that I used for 23 years
      And while I'm here, how do you insert the text down the bottom, I mean like you Herlock, you have a yellow fog etc?
      Click on your avatar, then on edit my settings. Click ‘account’ at the top then scroll down to ‘edit my signature.’
      Regards

      Herlock




      “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
      As night descends upon this fabled street:
      A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
      The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
      Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
      And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

      Comment


      • #4
        Been known as some form of Gut pretty much all my life. My brother was known as Gut and his mates all called me little Gut, though I was bigger than him from about age 7 (he is 5 years older).

        When I started playing football in high school one fellow knew my brother, he had dated the guts sister for a short while. And he said :Hey are you Gut’s brother?” For a while I got Gut’s brother, that was shortened to gut. As I moved up the grades and through the teams the name followed, some changed to to ton of guts because of how I played.

        20 years after I rang a mate about a 20 year reunion, told his wife who it was she called out to him, in the background I heard him yell back “I don’t know no ..... **** it’s Gut”.

        If you see the name on a forum etc it is probably me.
        G U T

        There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GUT View Post
          Been known as some form of Gut pretty much all my life. My brother was known as Gut and his mates all called me little Gut, though I was bigger than him from about age 7 (he is 5 years older).

          When I started playing football in high school one fellow knew my brother, he had dated the guts sister for a short while. And he said :Hey are you Gut’s brother?” For a while I got Gut’s brother, that was shortened to gut. As I moved up the grades and through the teams the name followed, some changed to to ton of guts because of how I played.

          20 years after I rang a mate about a 20 year reunion, told his wife who it was she called out to him, in the background I heard him yell back “I don’t know no ..... **** it’s Gut”.

          If you see the name on a forum etc it is probably me.
          Cheers GUT, that’s one that I can now tick off my list.
          Regards

          Herlock




          “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
          As night descends upon this fabled street:
          A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
          The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
          Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
          And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Herlock - a couple of reasons for mine.

            Firstly, a tribute to one of my favourite films - The Ladykillers (Ealing original of '55 obviously) and the wonderful portrayal in it of the dim-witted but kindly criminal and ex-boxer 'One-Round' Lawson by Danny Green.

            Secondly, a dig at the way in which the Court of Appeal dismissed James Hanratty's posthumous appeal in 2002. The Court repeatedly emphasised the need to see things ''in the round, taking into account all the relevant circumstances.'' However, my reading of their judgement is that a more one sided approach was taken.

            Best regards,
            OneRound

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by OneRound View Post
              Hi Herlock - a couple of reasons for mine.

              Firstly, a tribute to one of my favourite films - The Ladykillers (Ealing original of '55 obviously) and the wonderful portrayal in it of the dim-witted but kindly criminal and ex-boxer 'One-Round' Lawson by Danny Green.

              Secondly, a dig at the way in which the Court of Appeal dismissed James Hanratty's posthumous appeal in 2002. The Court repeatedly emphasised the need to see things ''in the round, taking into account all the relevant circumstances.'' However, my reading of their judgement is that a more one sided approach was taken.

              Best regards,
              OneRound
              I watched The Ladykillers the other day ( I think for the third time) and did wonder about your name. I’m waiting for a Mrs Lopsided to join

              Great film. Cheers OneRound
              Regards

              Herlock




              “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
              As night descends upon this fabled street:
              A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
              The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
              Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
              And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

              Comment


              • #8
                Hello Herlock. An interesting question. In my case, I used to play on Pottermore, J K Rowlings gift site to her readers back in the days when it was interactive. Alas it is interactive no more. I was in the chat room and was asked what my nickname was. At that time I had none. The automatic moderation on the site was strict, in fact common everyday harmless words were often moderated out and we were limited to 140 characters per message. Thinking quickly I had to come up with a name that was short and unlikely to be already in use. I chose 'Enigma' which passed through moderation. I carried on using it here together with an avatar image from those days.
                Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well Dupin may be obvious, but not my reason for choosing it.
                  When around 12 I went on holiday to North Wales with my parents (like you do).
                  On a walk to visit Aber Falls I ran towards the Falls and stuck my foot in a rabbit hole. Very painful. The parents had to almost carry me back across four miles.
                  What's that got to do with it - Ed.
                  Well, the doctor at Conw(a)y confined me to quiet rest for *two* weeks. So that was that. The parents weren't going home so I was stuck.
                  On that basis I borrowed two of the largest books (the quota for out of towners) from the library. One was Euclid's Elements, the other the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe.
                  These I read in alternation for two weeks.
                  My maths improved enormously.
                  But ever since then I have suffered from a mortal dread of being buried alive.
                  Dupin

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Lol Dupin../ nice story...

                    Mine's quite bland... it morphed from the latin/french (catholic school boy) Veni to Ven... had many others before and after though (Snowy,long blonde hair)... depending on the social group... Ven, with my closest mates, just seemed to stick

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                      Hello Herlock. An interesting question. In my case, I used to play on Pottermore, J K Rowlings gift site to her readers back in the days when it was interactive. Alas it is interactive no more. I was in the chat room and was asked what my nickname was. At that time I had none. The automatic moderation on the site was strict, in fact common everyday harmless words were often moderated out and we were limited to 140 characters per message. Thinking quickly I had to come up with a name that was short and unlikely to be already in use. I chose 'Enigma' which passed through moderation. I carried on using it here together with an avatar image from those days.
                      Thanks for that Enigma
                      Regards

                      Herlock




                      “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
                      As night descends upon this fabled street:
                      A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
                      The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
                      Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
                      And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dupin View Post
                        Well Dupin may be obvious, but not my reason for choosing it.
                        When around 12 I went on holiday to North Wales with my parents (like you do).
                        On a walk to visit Aber Falls I ran towards the Falls and stuck my foot in a rabbit hole. Very painful. The parents had to almost carry me back across four miles.
                        What's that got to do with it - Ed.
                        Well, the doctor at Conw(a)y confined me to quiet rest for *two* weeks. So that was that. The parents weren't going home so I was stuck.
                        On that basis I borrowed two of the largest books (the quota for out of towners) from the library. One was Euclid's Elements, the other the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe.
                        These I read in alternation for two weeks.
                        My maths improved enormously.
                        But ever since then I have suffered from a mortal dread of being buried alive.
                        Dupin
                        Great story Dupin.

                        Regards

                        Herlock




                        “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
                        As night descends upon this fabled street:
                        A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
                        The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
                        Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
                        And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ven View Post
                          Lol Dupin../ nice story...

                          Mine's quite bland... it morphed from the latin/french (catholic school boy) Veni to Ven... had many others before and after though (Snowy,long blonde hair)... depending on the social group... Ven, with my closest mates, just seemed to stick
                          Thanks Ven
                          Regards

                          Herlock




                          “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
                          As night descends upon this fabled street:
                          A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
                          The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
                          Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
                          And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The Barnflat part of my own mad moniker is an affectionate nod to the street in Glasgow where I grew up.
                            Lots of great memories of playing in the back courts, outside toilets in the landing of the tenement, each toilet was shared by 3 families,
                            and no one thought that is was hazardous to a child's health if they played among the muck and the puddles.

                            Nostalgia's not what it used to be!

                            The Wyngarde part is a reference to one of my favourite albums " When Sex Leers It's Inquisitive Head", by Peter Wyngarde, who made his name as the ridiculously dandy man of adventure, Jason King.


                            I remember watching a wonderful interview with Wyngarde and Russell Harty on Harty's chat show.
                            The interview was full of "polari", as one closeted gay man interviewed another closeted gay man. At one point Harty asks Wyngarde why he had never married.
                            Wyngarde replies that he had indeed come close on occasions but had never met the right woman, and besides, he was fond of cooking and spent a lot of time in the kitchen. Harty raises an eyebrow and says that it is a pity that no one had ever persuaded him to come out of the kitchen.
                            Wonderful stuff!

                            An abridged version of the interview is on Youtube, but for some reason they have excised the "kitchen" part.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                              The Barnflat part of my own mad moniker is an affectionate nod to the street in Glasgow where I grew up.
                              Lots of great memories of playing in the back courts, outside toilets in the landing of the tenement, each toilet was shared by 3 families,
                              and no one thought that is was hazardous to a child's health if they played among the muck and the puddles.

                              Nostalgia's not what it used to be!

                              The Wyngarde part is a reference to one of my favourite albums " When Sex Leers It's Inquisitive Head", by Peter Wyngarde, who made his name as the ridiculously dandy man of adventure, Jason King.


                              I remember watching a wonderful interview with Wyngarde and Russell Harty on Harty's chat show.
                              The interview was full of "polari", as one closeted gay man interviewed another closeted gay man. At one point Harty asks Wyngarde why he had never married.
                              Wyngarde replies that he had indeed come close on occasions but had never met the right woman, and besides, he was fond of cooking and spent a lot of time in the kitchen. Harty raises an eyebrow and says that it is a pity that no one had ever persuaded him to come out of the kitchen.
                              Wonderful stuff!

                              An abridged version of the interview is on Youtube, but for some reason they have excised the "kitchen" part.
                              You were very high on my list Barn. Now I know. Cheers

                              Regards

                              Herlock




                              “...A yellow fog swirls past the window-pane
                              As night descends upon this fabled street:
                              A lonely hansom splashes through the rain,
                              The ghostly gas lamps fail at twenty feet.
                              Here, though the world explode, these two survive,
                              And it is always eighteen ninety-five.”

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X