No announcement yet.

Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched 'Robin of Sherwood' as a kid and in that Robin of Loxley's dad was called Aelric. The name stuck in my head and I like it and had just started a rewatch of the series when I signed up here, so it was fresh in my mind.

That avatar is just because I like cheese.
    " Queen Vic lured her victims into dark corners with offers of free fish and chips, washed down with White Satin." - forum user C4

Comment

Originally posted by Aelric View Post
      I watched 'Robin of Sherwood' as a kid and in that Robin of Loxley's dad was called Aelric. The name stuck in my head and I like it and had just started a rewatch of the series when I signed up here, so it was fresh in my mind.

Blessed are the cheese makers.

Comment

Originally posted by Aelric View Post

Good choice. I used to love that programme. A friend of mine went on an ‘in search of Robin Hood’ holiday a few years ago. I intended to join him but couldn’t make it
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Blessed are the cheese makers.

Best movie ever IMO.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

What about your own dyslexic user name, Herlock? Was the great detective impaired?

For the life of me, I can't understand why posters don't simply use their real names. It's like they're afraid or ashamed of posting anything - something stupid. I do it all the time. So what? Who wants to be taken seriously?

Michael Banks

Comment

I can't speak for others but I am afraid that if I use my real name (Kindly Old Geppetto) I might not be taken seriously.

Ah, Just kidding. I have to use initials because I have a lot of husbands looking for me.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                What about your own dyslexic user name, Herlock? Was the great detective impaired?

For the life of me, I can't understand why posters don't simply use their real names. It's like they're afraid or ashamed of posting anything - something stupid. I do it all the time. So what? Who wants to be taken seriously?

Michael Banks
                Ah, Mr Nelson, where's the fun in that?

In a field where elitism and snobbery are accusations thrown at us, the safety blanket of anonymity is welcome. We don't all hold degrees. Anonymity allows the layman to interlude on even terms, and to be judged on merit. We haven't all written books.

And what's wrong with a bit of mystery? It promotes the seeking of shared knowledge based on the value of posts, not on identity. That may not apply to some, but in such esteemed company as casebook has, that's relevant. Where else can "Johnny Layman" go head to head with genuine experts and authors? Allowing the anonymity of a user name encourages that, so that's generally beneficial, but it does allow the psychic detectives to jump in. That's where a strong community is important.

As for my own anonymity, the most rudimentary of searches can identify the source of that. Also, my strapline is a Half Man Half Biscuit song, so being taken seriously was never high on my agenda.

More so, if anyone cares to know more about me, they can but ask. As such, several members know my actual name, my email, and my favourite WW2 plane. But it's nice to be a "character" on the whole.

Michael Banks.
                Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post

Michael Banks
                  To be honest Scott I didn’t think about it that much. I’ve only ever posted on 3 Forums. I applied to join here just before JTRForums and just assumed that I needed an alias. I’m a Holmes fan and have a book of parodies starring Herlock Sholmes so I chose that. Then I joined JTRForums posting under my own name.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                    I can't speak for others but I am afraid that if I use my real name (Kindly Old Geppetto) I might not be taken seriously.

Ah, Just kidding. I have to use initials because I have a lot of husbands looking for me.

c.d.
                    I really was hoping that your parents, Mr and Mrs Disk, just had a weird sense of humour.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Good choice. I used to love that programme. A friend of mine went on an ‘in search of Robin Hood’ holiday a few years ago. I intended to join him but couldn’t make it
                      You'll have to look into it again once COVID is but a memory! If I ever get back to Blighty for a holiday, I'm hoping to head to Sherwood and visit the Major Oak (assuming it's still standing by then.)

In regards to why post under a nom de net, I started using the internet back in the late 90s when it was far less common for people to use their real forenames, let alone full names. "Don't put your personal information online" was the whole of the law at the time, and I guess it's just ingrained in me by this point. I'm far more used to cyberspace and meatspace being more connected these days, but I still get a twitch when it comes to signing up to things with my legal name!
                      Last edited by Aelric; 02-01-2021, 10:44 AM.
                      " Queen Vic lured her victims into dark corners with offers of free fish and chips, washed down with White Satin." - forum user C4

Comment

Anyway, there is no way of knowing if what appears to be a legitimate name is in fact genuine. But, if it is on the internet then it must be correct.
                        Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

"As for my own anonymity, the most rudimentary of searches can identify the source of that. Also, my strapline is a Half Man Half Biscuit song, so being taken seriously was never high on my agenda.

"Hey Al, I'll bet that you have a Dukla Prague away kit tucked away somewhere.

Comment

Being Danish, I took my username and avatar from Denmark’s first known Ripperologist, Frederik Theodor Kattrup, who studied law and served in various positions as prosecutor and justice etc. and later mayor of Sorø.

Around 1894 he published articles stating his conviction that Szeremedy was Jack the Ripper. He was then interviewed by Carl Muusmann around 1908, and the interview and his material led to Muusmann’s Who was Jack the Ripper, published 1908 as one of the first fulllength Ripper books.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I really was hoping that your parents, Mr and Mrs Disk, just had a weird sense of humour.
                              Hi again Herlock - that was the case for my friend Tess with her parents, Mr and Mrs Tickle.

I'm here all week.

OneRound

Comment

Originally posted by OneRound View Post

Hi again Herlock - that was the case for my friend Tess with her parents, Mr and Mrs Tickle.

I'm here all week.

OneRound
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X