Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mother Teresa - Wikipedia

Christopher Hitchens - Wikipedia

LOL! hes an intellectual! and a writer-his claim to fame is having disputes with other intellectuals. what a hero he is
    Last edited by Abby Normal; 02-26-2021, 06:29 PM.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hello Abby,

Like you, I was a great admirer of Mother Theresa at one time. But after listening to what Hitchens, Penn & Teller and others had to say about her that changed considerably. I think there is a huge disparity between her carefully cultivated public image and what she was really like. You might dismiss all comments and remain steadfast in your admiration and that is fine. All I can tell you is that my opinion of her changed big time.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        Hello Abby,

Like you, I was a great admirer of Mother Theresa at one time. But after listening to what Hitchens, Penn & Teller and others had to say about her that changed considerably. I think there is a huge disparity between her carefully cultivated public image and what she was really like. You might dismiss all comments and remain steadfast in your admiration and that is fine. All I can tell you is that my opinion of her changed big time.

c.d.
        read her wiki page-her list of service and sacrifice goes way beyond just her work with the poor in india. and i would take with a grain of salt what a passionate atheist says about a nun and catholic saint. lol. BTW hitchens has done **** compared to people like mother theresa. dont beleive in god? fine just dont attack people who do, especially people like mother theresa who also have done alot for other people and sacrificed there whole lives to do good.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Nice to see you keeping an open mind and considering all sides, Abby.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            Nice to see you keeping an open mind and considering all sides, Abby.

c.d.
            ah so take a jibe at me now? lol. yeah you go ahead stick with the magicians and mr intellectual. good grief.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              "in the morning ill be sober, but youll still be ugly."

I beleive winston churchill, after being told he was too drunk by an uptight lady.
              speaking of which..
              I believe the lady was Nancy Astor.
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post

I believe the lady was Nancy Astor.
                I always thought that it was too Colin but actually it was the MP Bessie Braddock. Lady Astor was the one who said “if I was your wife I’d put poison in your coffee.” To which Churchill replied “Madam, if you were my wife I’d drink it.”

Another one...

“An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.”

or his classic description of Attlee (a man he came to greatly admire btw)

“A modest man, who has much to be modest about.”

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Probably my favourite comeback by Churchill occurred when Churchill was onboard a ship I think. He received a phone call from Roosevelt. He has a humorous little dig. Always a mistake with Churchill because he was just so quick.

“Good morning Mr President.”

”Good morning Winston, how is the second largest navy in the world?”

” Fine Mr President. How is the second best?”

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                    Probably my favourite comeback by Churchill occurred when Churchill was onboard a ship I think. He received a phone call from Roosevelt. He has a humorous little dig. Always a mistake with Churchill because he was just so quick.

“Good morning Mr President.”

”Good morning Winston, how is the second largest navy in the world?”

” Fine Mr President. How is the second best?”

churchill was the best.

when he went to visit fdr in the whitehouse, fdr walked in on him when churchill had just got out of the shower naked. fdr apologized and started to quickly leave and churchill said...

no, the prime minister of england has nothing to hide from the president of the united states.

LOL!!!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I always thought that it was too Colin but actually it was the MP Bessie Braddock. Lady Astor was the one who said “if I was your wife I’d put poison in your coffee.” To which Churchill replied “Madam, if you were my wife I’d drink it.”

Another one...

“An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.”

or his classic description of Attlee (a man he came to greatly admire btw)

“A modest man, who has much to be modest about.”

I stand corrected. Should have checked Boris's Churchill book which clarifies lots of these things. That's what you get for relying on memory because you're too lazy to go upstairs and check!
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

There was a pointed verbal encounter between movie star Jean Harlow and the sharp-tongued English aristocrat Margot Asquith. When Harlow attended a party given by Asquith, the movie star presumptuously referred to the hostess by her first name, and repeatedly mispronounced it as “Margot”, pronouncing the “t” at the end of the name.

Eventually, Asquith responded "No, dear. The ‘t’ is silent, as in Harlow."
                        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post

I stand corrected. Should have checked Boris's Churchill book which clarifies lots of these things. That's what you get for relying on memory because you're too lazy to go upstairs and check!
                          I always thought the same Colin.

Andrew Robert’s recent biography of Churchill is the best I’ve read. Brilliant stuff

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                            There was a pointed verbal encounter between movie star Jean Harlow and the sharp-tongued English aristocrat Margot Asquith. When Harlow attended a party given by Asquith, the movie star presumptuously referred to the hostess by her first name, and repeatedly mispronounced it as “Margot”, pronouncing the “t” at the end of the name.

Eventually, Asquith responded "No, dear. The ‘t’ is silent, as in Harlow."
                            That ones a classic Simon. I wonder if Harlow got it?

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I’m not a football fan but I’ve always liked the Brian Clough quote when someone asked him if he thought that he was the best manager in the country. I don’t know if he was expecting modesty but Clough replied

”Well, I’m in the top one.”
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Another mine of quotes, Oscar Wilde:

“Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.”
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X