• Show
Clear All

• Views about Chris Hitchens, please!

Hello you all!

Any thoughts of this book?!

All the best
    Jukka
    Attached Files
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
    Hello you all!

All the best
    Jukka
    Hi Jukka!

I only finished reading this book about a month ago!

I'm a Christian and so read it out of curiousity as to what someone who thinks the exact opposite to me really thinks. I enjoyed the historical chapters very much. I know he died recently of cancer when still in his fifties, which is very sad. I like his style of writing and his humour. I didn't find out anything new with regard to what atheists and agnostics think. I have also read the book by the other very famous author, Richard Dawkins, called 'The God Delusion'.

Instead of being convinced of their arguments I found myself even more convinced of my own beliefs, if that was possible.

Out of the two authors I consider Christopher Hitchens the more readable of the two.

Carol

Comment

Hello you all!

All the best
      Jukka
      Yes, the title says it all.

What is it with Hitchens and Dawkins?

The worst kind of hypocrits.

Edmund Burke had a thing or two to say about those types - all predicted for good measure.

You have to laugh at the sheer contempt these people hold for the average person. Who would have thought that the average man on the street could arrive at the conclusion that there probably isn't a god -seeing is believing - not those two.

Comment

I have read both "god Is Not Great" and "The God Delusion." I thought they were both excellent particularly Hitchens. I don't find them hypocritical at all. Do they both have a big ego? You betcha. I was particulary impressed with how Hitchens dealt with his esopegeal cancer. He accepted it as the inevitable result of a lifetime of smoking and drinking to excess. When religious people offered their sympathy and well wishes he simply thanked them.

c.d.

Comment

Just noticed the spelling on the book cover at the top. Here in the U.S. it is published with a lower case g in God. It is also subtitled "How Religion Poisons Everything." Even if you remained unconvinced that there is no God after reading the book, his attacks on ALL religion are incredibly scathing, extremely well argued and (for me) almost impossible to refute. The weakest argument made by him as well as Dawkins has to do with the fact that virtually every society in history has had some kind of religious belief. It seems to be hard wired into human beings. He and Dawkins argue that it is the result of being indoctrinated by our parents at a young age and that our parents simply parrot what they were told by their parents and so on. Maybe, but I thought that was the weakest argument in the book.

c.d.

Comment

I've read "The God Delusion" which I thought was excellent but not this one. I'd been meaning to bag a copy for a while but have just found you can get it free on PDF format. Looking forward to giving it a go, particularly as, judging from interviews I've seen, Hitchens has a nice line in dry humour.

Best wishes,
            Steve.

PS I note the cover as shown by Jukka does not feature the subtitle "How Religion Poisons Everything". Any thoughts on why this is the case?

Comment

Liked the guy.
              Best regards,
              Maria

Comment

Hello you all!

After just reading it, I personally find it very thorough and his views are justified. Despite before reading I was an agnostic and I still am.

I simply find it impossible to say, if there is some sort of divinity somewhere or not.

Respecting the atheistic and the religious views as long as there is no mental or physical violence involved.

All the best
                Jukka
                "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Sorry, cd, posts crossed.

Comment

I haven't read it and will not.
                    I even advise my friends and enemies to read The Everlasting Man instead.

Comment

Hello DVV!

To put it simple; Why won't you read it?

I personally find it useful to read about things like these from as many sides as possible.

All the best
                      Jukka

Comment

Hi Jukka,
                        you're right, but honestly I don't feel like buying it. Atheism and agnoticism are everywhere, so what's new with that book ?

Comment

Hello DVV!

To put it simple; Why won't you read it?

I personally find it useful to read about things like these from as many sides as possible.

All the best
                          Jukka
                          Really?

So Hitchens and Dawkins are saying what is beyond the reach of the average man?

Dear God, to coin a phrase.

These people really boil my piss.

Comment

Hello Fleetwood Mac!

Like I said, it is useful to read from both ends of the matter.

I didn't say, that Hitchens is some superhuman cosmic being (Dawkings is only a name on the cover for me, by the way). On the contrary, he is as easy to fall into a human error just like you, me and everyone. (I came to this conclusion by reading the book! )

Being an agnostic, I don't find the Bible, the Koran, the Bhagavadgita (sorry for a possible misspelling! ) etc. any cosmic or spiritual either. However, I do respect everyone's right to think otherwise, as long as it won't lead to violence.

Something for DVV; I have met more extreme christians demanding me to believe on an either-or basis than atheists or agnostics.

All the best
                            Jukka

Comment

Originally posted by Carol View Post
                              I'm a Christian and so read it out of curiousity as to what someone who thinks the exact opposite to me really thinks.
                              I find this admirable. The world would be a better place if we all did this.

Comment

Working...
                              X