Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petition to the UK Government for a Covid 19 Medal

Ladies and Gents,

Saw the petition earlier and thought it might be of interest to UK forum users?

The Government should create a new medal to be awarded to all NHS, Police, Fire Brigade, and Army personnel for continuing to work and putting the public first, at great personal risk, during the current Covid19 crisis.

I would ask anyone who feels strongly enough about this, to please sign it.

Comment

As a "frontline health worker" myself, I'm just doing my job. I'm grateful the young lass that works the checkout in Asda keeps showing up for work.
      I think what I'm saying is maybe we should all have a bit more appreciation for each other, regardless.
      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

I think maybe they'd prefer a pay rise to a medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          I think maybe they'd prefer a pay rise to a medal.
          After all this is over you can have both...............................!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
            As a "frontline health worker" myself, I'm just doing my job. I'm grateful the young lass that works the checkout in Asda keeps showing up for work.
            I think what I'm saying is maybe we should all have a bit more appreciation for each other, regardless.
            Keep up the good work, it is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

We keep at it. We're rationed to six masks per staff member at the minute, but as they're single use and resupply isn't guaranteed, we can't use them unless someone is showing symptoms/ confirmed. Stable doors and horses and all that. We're also using home brew hand sanitizer. From what I see and hear, the health and social care sector is holding up remarkably well, it's teetering on the brink at the best of times. We plan for operating at a 40% staff level as worst case, but at that point you'll only run for days at most before the few left collapse or have a break down. It also invites errors and bad practice. And then there's trying to make sense of things to people that don't understand, causing frustration and boredom, two massive contributers to challenging behaviour and all our exit and de-escalation strategies are out the window because people literally can't leave, no other staff to relieve, can't go home. Still have to ensure a reliable supply of medication and essentials.
              Like I say, it could have been a whole lot worse a whole lot sooner and we might yet hear some horror stories but for now, we're coping better than we expected. But that's why they pay us minimum wage.
              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

My youngest daughter works at Grand River Hospital, they had been rationed to two masks per day, since last week they are down to one per day. They have to change their clothes at work, remove their scrubs at the end of the shift, put them in a sealed bag, take them home and wash them every night.
                She's anxious because so many supervisors walk around talking to staff at close quarters, like everything is normal. It's understandable when staff have to gather around a patient, observing the two meter rule is almost impossible in a hospital, but if you're not staff, stay the required distance away!
                She's scared, they're all scared but they have to put that aside and get on with the job.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Jon do the nurses have to pay to park their cars over there? I think they've recently stopped charging them over here, but it may only be for the duration of the crisis.

Comment

Jon do the nurses have to pay to park their cars over there? I think they've recently stopped charging them over here, but it may only be for the duration of the crisis.
                    Funny you should ask, she has always had to pay to park her own car at the hospital. Since this outbreak got really bad the staff have all been issued with a pass key - free parking.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Good. That needs to continue both there and here after the crisis has passed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post

After all this is over you can have both...............................!!!!!!

Do you think? Remember there will be a recession.

Last time a pay rise was requested a few years ago they didn't get it and not only that, the Tories cheered the fact.
                        OK you could say they were cheering because they won the vote. But seriously, did they have to rub it in by cheering.
                        How anybody votes for them and sleeps at night amazes me.

Every Conservative except one voted against the bid, accusing Jeremy Corbyn's party of playing politics and "milking the NHS for votes"
                        These are not clues, Fred.
                        It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                        They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                        And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                        We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post

Last time a pay rise was requested a few years ago they didn't get it and not only that, the Tories cheered the fact.
                          OK you could say they were cheering because they won the vote. But seriously, did they have to rub it in by cheering.
                          How anybody votes for them and sleeps at night amazes me.
                          Took the words right out of my mouth....

All the Tories represent here in Canada is cuts; cuts to Education, cuts to Health Care, cuts to Social Services, oh and around election time they promote cuts to Taxes. Yes, Taxes, a few cents on the dollar for the working class and millions for businesses & Corporations.
                          It's the same in the US with Republicans, just like Conservatives here & in the UK. They care nothing for the ordinary worker beyond giving them what they need to help businesses prosper, but sacrilegious laws like Healthy & Safety, Hours of Work, and rules put in place to benefit the worker are trimmed down, cutback or abolished altogether. It's viewed as an unnecessary expense that eats away at the profit margin of businesses & corporations.

Don't get me going.....

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Good. That needs to continue both there and here after the crisis has passed.
                            They didn't always have to pay for parking. She's worked in nursing for something like 20 years, parking was free before government cuts made the hospital look everywhere to make up the financial shortage. So now all the hospital employees have to pay to park their own vehicles. I'm sure this pass-key they have been given will be revoked when this virus settles down.
                            How many factory workers would tolerate paying their company to park their car?
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

It's because medical staff are generally vocational workers. If they strike, people die, which is something they don't want.

Comment

Working...
                              X