X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Apparently there is a supposedly authentic government document that shows that a search party was dispatched before the party was reported missing which if true is very strange and very suspicious.

c.d.
    Yeah, c.d.!

That information has been kicking around for a wee while.

I'm working from memory here, but I think there is an episode of "Expedition Unknown" where they show that document and discuss it.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned in other books and docs too.

It seems to be generally dismissed as a mere typo, but personally I agree it's strange!

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post

They probably blame it on time-traveling Ukrainian Nazis...
    Apparently there is a supposedly authentic government document that shows that a search party was dispatched before the party was reported missing which if true is very strange and very suspicious.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• C. F. Leon
    replied

The show also announced that as a result of the new found documents the Russian government is reopening the case.

c.d.
    They probably blame it on time-traveling Ukrainian Nazis...

Leave a comment:

• spyglass
    replied
    Hi all,
    I have followed this mystery for about ten years now.

When I first came across it, I too felt "How Wierd "

But since then, I have read quite a bit about it and there are really quite a few reasonable explanations...even for the weird stuff.
    The only real question being why they left the tent in a panic, but an Avalanche seems to be a real possibility.
    I suggest scouring the internet, their is plenty of stuff out there, even some really morbid photos that I accidentally came across.

Regards

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hey diddles
    i think it was histories greatest mysteries from the history channel. i think its a pretty good series, the somerton man one is good too.
    imho i think they got trapped in their tent from avalanch and or snow build up which was collapsing their tent and made them panic to get out which is why they cut there way out. once that tent was destroyed they were finished. only a matter of time until they froze to death. the ones that had blunt force trauma fell into a rocky ravine and the other gruesome injuries was from animal predation. not much of a mystery to me. i dont buy the kgb dude killed them angle. at all.
    Thanks Abby / c.d.!

I'll have a look and see if I can find that documentary.

When I first heard about the case, my initial reaction was that it had to be an avalanche, but having read a bit more about it and done some pondering, I'm not so sure.

From what I initially read, the area was not known for avalanches and the gradient wasn't steep enough, although I believe a new study last year (or 2020) contradicted this.

This still doesn't explain why a bunch of experienced hikers would choose a spot where there was an avalanche risk to camp, or why the contents of the tent showed no signs of disarray. I seem to recall that there were plates of food laid out as though the hikers had been eating.

Also wouldn't such experienced hikers know to run horizontally out of the path of an avalanche rather than vertically downhill?

TBH I read that somewhere!

I'm not exactly known for my outdoor / survivalist skills, much preferring a nice comfortable hotel room to a tent out in the elements, so I'm probably not the best person to pontificate about what to do in an avalanche!

Still, something smells off about this one to me!

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Yes, it was histories greatest mysteries from The History Channel.

No, no one is arguing that the alleged KGB agent killed them since he was killed as well. It has more to do with missile testing or some other types of weapons and a cover up by the government.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Hi c.d.!

I've been poking about online, but can't seem to find this doc or anything pertaining to this new evidence that Semyon was KGB.

Can you remember the name of the documentary?
    hey diddles
    i think it was histories greatest mysteries from the history channel. i think its a pretty good series, the somerton man one is good too.
    imho i think they got trapped in their tent from avalanch and or snow build up which was collapsing their tent and made them panic to get out which is why they cut there way out. once that tent was destroyed they were finished. only a matter of time until they froze to death. the ones that had blunt force trauma fell into a rocky ravine and the other gruesome injuries was from animal predation. not much of a mystery to me. i dont buy the kgb dude killed them angle. at all.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Hi c.d.!

I've been poking about online, but can't seem to find this doc or anything pertaining to this new evidence that Semyon was KGB.

Hello Ms. Diddles,

It was from The History Channel.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    Hello Ms. Diddles,

My impression from what I watched was that it was pretty conclusive that he was KGB.

c.d.
    Hi c.d.!

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Hello Ms. Diddles,

My impression from what I watched was that it was pretty conclusive that he was KGB.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    Watched a show on the History Channel. It appears they now have evidence that one of the members of the skiing party was a KGB agent. About ten years older than the others (who were all students) and had no affiliation with their university. I don't find it surprising that the KGB would have agents in universities and it is reasonable to assume that he could have overheard their plans. One of the prevalent theories is that they camped near where the Soviet Army was testing rockets or some type of weapons. Could he have gone along (with no one knowing his true identity) just to make sure that they were really just on a ski trip and not doing any type of spying?

c.d.
    Interesting, c.d.!

This latest development had passed me by, so thanks for posting.

IIRC there was always some suspicion attached to Semyon's last minute inclusion in the group.

Is this evidence that he was KGB pretty conclusive or merely speculative?

I'll have a poke about and see what I can find......

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Watched a show on the History Channel. It appears they now have evidence that one of the members of the skiing party was a KGB agent. About ten years older than the others (who were all students) and had no affiliation with their university. I don't find it surprising that the KGB would have agents in universities and it is reasonable to assume that he could have overheard their plans. One of the prevalent theories is that they camped near where the Soviet Army was testing rockets or some type of weapons. Could he have gone along (with no one knowing his true identity) just to make sure that they were really just on a ski trip and not doing any type of spying?

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

That covers most things besides the hiker with burned feet, as if he put them into the fire.
    The obvious answer to eyes and tongue missing is insect activity after death -- particularly if the bodies remained out there longer than previously believed.
    I need to revisit the TV show, as I don't remember the ravine part so well. Think they did discuss if the broken bones were from a fall. One expert suggested the crushed skull and ribs could have been from the weight of the snow and ice.

The expert also suggested that the injuries could have been the result of a blow from a rifle butt (read Russian military).

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied

hi CD
    Unfortunately the History channel has fallen prey to the whole "reality" TV/sensationalism/fake news phenomena and a lot of there programming these days reflects that. as does a lot of my previously beloved documentary channels. kind of sucks : (

Russian conspiracies/cover ups? Secret military weapons testing? freak weather event? cmon CD
    Hello Abby,

Yes, the History channel is getting up there with professional wrestling. However, there were documents shown that indicated that the lead investigator did leave for the site days before the announcement of an official search party. So, something ain't right about the official story. Now, if the Russian government does actually reopen the case that would tend to lend credence to the conspiracy theory.

So far, no apparent and obvious explanation has panned out. I am only relaying theories that have been put forth.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Pcdunn
    replied

hi CD
    Unfortunately the History channel has fallen prey to the whole "reality" TV/sensationalism/fake news phenomena and a lot of there programming these days reflects that. as does a lot of my previously beloved documentary channels. kind of sucks : (

Russian conspiracies/cover ups? Secret military weapons testing? freak weather event? cmon CD
    Hey! They were covering the various theories that have been put out there, including the far-fetched ones. This show is one of my favorites, and it is very informative. Plus, I think it is now on Discovery, not History, anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X