Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c.d.
    replied
    Rusty West has a number of YouTube videos on mysterious disappearances in National Parks. They are all very good and super interesting.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Fantomas
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    Hello Ginger,

What is so strange in those missing National Park cases is often the missing person was among a group and then somebody says hey where's Bob? Or a veteran hiker goes missing and it is known that he has food, water and the proper clothing and gear as well as a map and has told people where he is going to hike. And like you say, they remain missing after thorough and extensive searches. And then of course the whole shoes thing.

c.d.
    On a side-note, the work of David Paulides, on more recent missing persons cases in National Parks etc, is excellent. His books have limited print runs and can become prohibitively expensive but here is one such example:

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Marriott
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    There are quite a few books on the subject but which one to go for? Id like a good, well researched, unbiased account of the case so I’m not keen on wading in with a theory book. Has anyone read anything on the subject? Any suggestions?

The website posted by Ginger is impressive.
    I do cover this incident briefly in my book Myths and Mysteries-The real truth in which the killings were suggested by some researchers attributed to "The Russian Yeti"

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Hello Herlock,

"Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident" by Donnie Eichar has over 1,300 reviews on amazon.com with 56% giving it a five star rating and 29% giving it a four star rating. Seems to be the most popular book on the incident by far.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    There are quite a few books on the subject but which one to go for? Id like a good, well researched, unbiased account of the case so I’m not keen on wading in with a theory book. Has anyone read anything on the subject? Any suggestions?

The website posted by Ginger is impressive.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Hello Ginger,

What is so strange in those missing National Park cases is often the missing person was among a group and then somebody says hey where's Bob? Or a veteran hiker goes missing and it is known that he has food, water and the proper clothing and gear as well as a map and has told people where he is going to hike. And like you say, they remain missing after thorough and extensive searches. And then of course the whole shoes thing.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger
    replied
    Interesting that they were barefoot or in socks. In a number of National Park disappearances in the USA boots of the missing person are also found. That is a whole other bizarre thing. Google national park disappearances. It will keep you up nights.

c.d.
    That does keep me up sometimes. It's not just parks either. There's a whole long history of missing people found dead without shoes, often in places that had been intensively searched already.

Edit: And, very often, they were wearing a red shirt or jacket.
    Last edited by Ginger; 09-01-2019, 11:49 PM. Reason: Afterthought

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Interesting that they were barefoot or in socks. In a number of National Park disappearances in the USA boots of the missing person are also found. That is a whole other bizarre thing. Google national park disappearances. It will keep you up nights.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Come on Joshua, present your sources for that conclusion.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Ginger View Post
    Oh, one of the more fascinating mysteries out there! https://dyatlovpass.com is an excellent website with a large amount of data, although almost all of the content has been translated from Russian, sometimes less than reliably. Tons and tons of original documents, pictures, etc.

Lots of books on Amazon about the case. "Dyatlov Pass Keeps its Secret", despite the magnificently lurid cover illustration with its depiction of a flying saucer in flames crashing on the camp site, is actually a very good introduction to the basic facts of the case, and the various theories, sane and otherwise. It's only like $4 for Kindle, too.
    That looks interesting Ginger. I’ll have a look tomorrow. A book on the case might be in order. Which one though?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    They were probably killed by time-travelling mutants, or something.
    Come on Joshua, present your sources for that conclusion.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    Ah, but!... They built a fire when they reached the trees. That argues that they weren't being chased by mutants, or afraid of being seen by mutants (or anyone else).

Leave a comment:

• Ginger
    replied
    Oh, one of the more fascinating mysteries out there! https://dyatlovpass.com is an excellent website with a large amount of data, although almost all of the content has been translated from Russian, sometimes less than reliably. Tons and tons of original documents, pictures, etc.

Lots of books on Amazon about the case. "Dyatlov Pass Keeps its Secret", despite the magnificently lurid cover illustration with its depiction of a flying saucer in flames crashing on the camp site, is actually a very good introduction to the basic facts of the case, and the various theories, sane and otherwise. It's only like $4 for Kindle, too.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Hello Herlock,

No, I don't but I thought of that too. If they intentionally took hallucinogens what could it have been? Maybe something unintentional that they somehow ingested along with their food? Like LSD from bread mold. Doesn't seem like the best place to be messing around with drugs.

Some sort of suicide cult? But then again why slash the tents?

c.d.
    The more I think about the less drugs seem likely as you said. Interesting that in the clip of part two radioactivity is mentioned. If I forget and part 2 surfaces I hope that you’ll let us know c.d?

Im fascinated by this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X