Dyatlov Pass incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

All but one apparently died from hypothermia, in addition one had a fractured skull; two others had major chest fractures. Additionally, the body of another team member was missing her tongue and eyes.

The possibility of a crime has been completely discounted by the russian authorities

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Weren't the bodies with the extensive injuries found at the bottom of a ravine? Couldn't tumbling down a ravine possibly account for the injuries?

And regarding the missing body parts - the bodies were left out in the elements for months. Couldn't decomposition, exposure to the elements and (apologies for the gross imagery here) animals chewing on the bodies account for missing body parts?

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Captain Scott being a well-known example.
      I didn’t know that Gary?
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        I've been watching this on the Discovery Channel, its on again tomorrow (Wed) night.
        Fascinating.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Captain Scott being a well-known example.
          I don't recall any of Scott's expedition stripping off, though I am aware that shortly before dying people with extreme frostbite will feel their body temperature rise dramatically. Whether this is psychological or physical I don't know.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

I've been watching this on the Discovery Channel, its on again tomorrow (Wed) night.
            Fascinating.
            Hello Wick,

Do we know when the second part is on yet?
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

The bodies of Wilson and Bowers were discovered tightly wrapped in their sleeping bags. The flaps of Scott’s bag were thrown back and his coat was open.

Comment

this is what probably happened:

they had deviated from there intended path and ended up higher on the mountain slope than they wanted. it was more exposed then a big snowstorm. in the middle of the night the snow/wind/frost/ice had built up so much that the tent collapsed (no avalanche-but they might have feared one). they couldn't get out the opening (maybe it was covered with snow and or frozen shut), panic sets in-so they cut there way out and made it down to the tree line. tried to make a fire. by this time it was so cold some were probably already dying. some tried to make it back to the collapsed tent but died of hypothermia. the ones at the fire died of cold too. the remaining tried to make it further down into the forest to find better shelter/ campsite and fell into the ravine-hitting rocks and died-hence the injuries. the ones that had injuries/missing eyes/tongue etc were probably predated on and or the soft tissues rotted away. not that big of a mystery really. to me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Hello Wick,

Do we know when the second part is on yet?
                  The second part is on in five minutes (9:00pm EST), on the Discovery Channel.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

they had deviated from there intended path and ended up higher on the mountain slope than they wanted. it was more exposed then a big snowstorm. in the middle of the night the snow/wind/frost/ice had built up so much that the tent collapsed (no avalanche-but they might have feared one). they couldn't get out the opening (maybe it was covered with snow and or frozen shut), panic sets in-so they cut there way out and made it down to the tree line. tried to make a fire. by this time it was so cold some were probably already dying. some tried to make it back to the collapsed tent but died of hypothermia. the ones at the fire died of cold too. the remaining tried to make it further down into the forest to find better shelter/ campsite and fell into the ravine-hitting rocks and died-hence the injuries. the ones that had injuries/missing eyes/tongue etc were probably predated on and or the soft tissues rotted away. not that big of a mystery really. to me anyway.

This sums up my feelings as well.

A tragic mixture of panic and extreme conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

The second part is on in five minutes (9:00pm EST), on the Discovery Channel.
                      Dammit! I’ll have to check for the repeat.

Thanks Wick.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I saw a documentary which suggested that infrasound could explain some of the reports of paranormal activity on the London Underground. Apparently it sets up feelings of unease, imagined glimpses out of the corner of the eye, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          I saw a documentary which suggested that infrasound could explain some of the reports of paranormal activity on the London Underground. Apparently it sets up feelings of unease, imagined glimpses out of the corner of the eye, etc.
                          I always thought that feeling of unease emanated from the three lads loitering on the platform, wearing leather jackets and neck tattoos.

Comment

Ah Roger, you've been listening to this song about a young man's encounter with a group of ticket inspectors.

Comment

Thanks, Robert. That song sums it up! (And nice bass playing).

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

The tent didn't collapse. It was still standing when rescuers reached the scene.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                                X