Dyatlov Pass incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Ginger,

What is so strange in those missing National Park cases is often the missing person was among a group and then somebody says hey where's Bob? Or a veteran hiker goes missing and it is known that he has food, water and the proper clothing and gear as well as a map and has told people where he is going to hike. And like you say, they remain missing after thorough and extensive searches. And then of course the whole shoes thing.

c.d.

Comment

There are quite a few books on the subject but which one to go for? Id like a good, well researched, unbiased account of the case so I’m not keen on wading in with a theory book. Has anyone read anything on the subject? Any suggestions?

The website posted by Ginger is impressive.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Hello Herlock,

"Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident" by Donnie Eichar has over 1,300 reviews on amazon.com with 56% giving it a five star rating and 29% giving it a four star rating. Seems to be the most popular book on the incident by far.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          There are quite a few books on the subject but which one to go for? Id like a good, well researched, unbiased account of the case so I’m not keen on wading in with a theory book. Has anyone read anything on the subject? Any suggestions?

The website posted by Ginger is impressive.
          I do cover this incident briefly in my book Myths and Mysteries-The real truth in which the killings were suggested by some researchers attributed to "The Russian Yeti"

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            Hello Ginger,

What is so strange in those missing National Park cases is often the missing person was among a group and then somebody says hey where's Bob? Or a veteran hiker goes missing and it is known that he has food, water and the proper clothing and gear as well as a map and has told people where he is going to hike. And like you say, they remain missing after thorough and extensive searches. And then of course the whole shoes thing.

c.d.
            On a side-note, the work of David Paulides, on more recent missing persons cases in National Parks etc, is excellent. His books have limited print runs and can become prohibitively expensive but here is one such example:

Comment

Rusty West has a number of YouTube videos on mysterious disappearances in National Parks. They are all very good and super interesting.

c.d.

Comment

Hello Trevor,

But wouldn't a Yeti or any type of wild animal left tracks?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

I do cover this incident briefly in my book Myths and Mysteries-The real truth in which the killings were suggested by some researchers attributed to "The Russian Yeti"

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                  Thank you Trevor.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hello Herlock,

"Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident" by Donnie Eichar has over 1,300 reviews on amazon.com with 56% giving it a five star rating and 29% giving it a four star rating. Seems to be the most popular book on the incident by far.

c.d.
                    I’m off to London for eight days at the end of this month. This one might be my reading material.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hello Trevor,

But wouldn't a Yeti or any type of wild animal left tracks?

c.d.
                      I said it was a theory that some support however, my investigation of the facts does not support that theory

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I’m off to London for eight days at the end of this month. This one might be my reading material.
                        You may never return...

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post

That does keep me up sometimes. It's not just parks either. There's a whole long history of missing people found dead without shoes, often in places that had been intensively searched already.

Edit: And, very often, they were wearing a red shirt or jacket.

People in the final stages of hypothermia will sometimes start stripping their clothes off. It's called "paradoxical undressing." It's something to do with the brain and nerves misfiring as you're freezing to death, making you think you're suddenly burning hot. I've heard that this is suspected to have happened with some of the Dyatlov Pass kids.

Comment

Originally posted by tanta07 View Post

People in the final stages of hypothermia will sometimes start stripping their clothes off. It's called "paradoxical undressing." It's something to do with the brain and nerves misfiring as you're freezing to death, making you think you're suddenly burning hot. I've heard that this is suspected to have happened with some of the Dyatlov Pass kids.
                            Captain Scott being a well-known example.

Comment

Avalanche mixed with hypothermia, I think played a major part in how events unfolded.

Comment

Originally posted by tanta07 View Post

All but one apparently died from hypothermia, in addition one had a fractured skull; two others had major chest fractures. Additionally, the body of another team member was missing her tongue and eyes.

The possibility of a crime has been completely discounted by the russian authorities

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                                Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 09-03-2019, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X