The Idles At Glastonbury 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Idles At Glastonbury 2019

I caught a clip of this band on the BBC programme about the best of Glastonbury.
    To say it blew me away would be an understatement.

This is just about the most honest and searing performance I have ever seen.
    It's raw, loud and honest..................and no, it's not punk!

I attach 2 clips, the first clip is the performance that was shown on the BBC, and the second clip is their full gig at Glastonbury.
    What you have here is a band asking pertinent questions about racism, sexism, homophobia et al.
    In other words they're asking all the questions that most of the mainstream music world is failing to address.

Have you ever seen a bunch of musicians enjoying themselves so much?

By the way, the guitarist jumping around in his Calvin Klein's is a dentist.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Weirdly I'd just cast this to my tv to watch, and when it ended the same clip was playing on BBC1
    They certainly seemed to be having fun (except the one who was crying). I'll have to take your word about the lyrics though as I couldn't understand a word they were singing.
    So I am officially old.

Comment

Reminded me of The Stranglers, way back when.
      dustymiller
      aka drstrange

Comment

I've been aware of the group for a while now. I think they have 2 albums out.
        If I was a teen / early 20s I'd probably be really into it. There's no doubt there's lots of emotion there.

As it is now, the music doesn't do much for me and that's all that matters to me these days. The music itself has to be interesting.
        There's a young group called black midi that are being talked about a lot right now. There debut album came out last month. They get labelled as experimental rock often. The vocals are a little strange but overall I like them.

The link is to a short live set on Youtube.
        http://KEXP.ORG presents black midi performing live at Kex Hostel in Reykjavik during Iceland Airwaves 2018. Recorded November 9, 2018.Songs:untitled 1 [Near...
        These are not clues, Fred.
        It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
        They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
        And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
        We will not.

Comment

"There's a young group called black midi that are being talked about a lot right now. There debut album came out last month. They get labelled as experimental rock often. The vocals are a little strange but overall I like them."

Thanks for the heads up Ozzy, I'll certainly check them out.

Comment

Just tell me when Hawkwind comes on.

You've got the coolest user name I've ever seen, Barnflatpeterwyngarde.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post

Hey Scott, you've sussed my secret.
              part of the ridiculous moniker is an affectionate nod to Peter Wyngarde.

Don't tell anyone though

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post

I know they played on the accoustic stage at the recent Glastonbury. Also, Nik Turner played 4 sets over the Glastonbury weekend. I don't think Hawkwind's set is on BBC though?
                The last time I saw Hawkwind was in 1984 at Stonehenge.
                These are not clues, Fred.
                It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                We will not.

Comment

Wow .. The Stranglers and Hawkwind getting mentions. When I was a kid I used to follow The Stranglers on tours. Still my favourite band.
                  Any big Stranglers fans out there ?

Comment

Glastonbury mainly serves to remind us that we are getting old. In 1995, I was climbing the Glastonbury perimeter fence with two large bottles of Strongbow in my backpack to see The Cure. In 2019, I sat on my sofa with a bottle of Prosecco and a baby-monitor to watch The Cure in HD and Dolby Digital...
                    Last edited by Svensson; 07-10-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Apropos Peter Wyngarde :

Comment

Apropos Peter Wyngarde :

Cheers Robert.

I have the album this is from, it's called "When Sex Lers It's Inquisitive Head".............................Honestly!

It's a real guilty pleasure.

Comment

Cage the Elephant from Bowling Green Kentucky and they are awesome. seeing them live in august.

Regardez Cage The Elephant Ain't No Rest For the wicked (later with.. - Estelle sur Dailymotion

Music video by Cage The Elephant performing In One Ear. (C) 2011 RCA Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment

Kentucky rockers Cage the Elephant blasted back with their third album and they bring their high energy pop punk sound to our studio live on Morning Becomes ...

just a sampling-they have a ton other great songs. very eclectic and unique band. love them.

Comment

They are excellent.

Thanks Abby.
                            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                              They are excellent.

Thanks Abby.
                              thanks DJA
                              they are the real deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X