No announcement yet.

Sherlock Holmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS, I'm afraid my knowledge of matters Holmesian, and the Hound in particular, is no match for yours! I never even knew that Stewart Grainger ever played Holmes! And William Shatner? Did he do it in Klingon?? The only thing I recall about Carlyle Blackwell is that he was, I believe, the first actor to play Bulldog Drummond. Was he also in Hitchcock's 'The Lodger'? That's quite a scary film IMHO.

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I also quite liked Tom Baker’s Holmes in that version of The Hound.
      Tom Baker strikes me as a natural Holmes, and it's a shame he never made a series. Incidentally, Baker once played both Holmes and Moriarty in a 1985 stage production and, according to his own gleeful telling of the tale, this allowed him to ruin both roles at the same time. What a hero that man is!
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Holmes to Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls : Have a jelly baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
          HS, I'm afraid my knowledge of matters Holmesian, and the Hound in particular, is no match for yours! I never even knew that Stewart Grainger ever played Holmes! And William Shatner? Did he do it in Klingon?? The only thing I recall about Carlyle Blackwell is that he was, I believe, the first actor to play Bulldog Drummond. Was he also in Hitchcock's 'The Lodger'? That's quite a scary film IMHO.

Graham
          You’re spot on about Blackwell Graham.

Heres a short clip of Grainger as Holmes with Shatner. It appears that you can’t see an English version of the full movie on YouTube though.

Hes probably on a par with Charlton Heston as Holmes.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            Tom Baker strikes me as a natural Holmes, and it's a shame he never made a series. Incidentally, Baker once played both Holmes and Moriarty in a 1985 stage production and, according to his own gleeful telling of the tale, this allowed him to ruin both roles at the same time. What a hero that man is!
            Baker actually wanted to continue playing Holmes but it just never happened. I thought he was very good. Brett played Watson too. On stage with Charlton Heston as Holmes.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Baker actually wanted to continue playing Holmes but it just never happened. I thought he was very good. Brett played Watson too. On stage with Charlton Heston as Holmes.
              Don't know if this counts, but another Dr Who actor played Holmes back in the 1990's. Peter Capaldi.

But only in a short sketch - which I thought was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Don't know if this counts, but another Dr Who actor played Holmes back in the 1990's. Peter Capaldi.

But only in a short sketch - which I thought was funny.
                I love that one.

Here’s Poirot’s Captain Hastings as Holmes.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Good Lord!

And 'Neanderthal Man' looks like Frankie Howerd for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    Good Lord!

And 'Neanderthal Man' looks like Frankie Howerd for some reason.
                    Titter-ye-not Robert.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Here’s another Holmes that not everyone is familiar with. This is Arthur Wontner who was the first great talking Holmes. He got the job because he was heard playing Sexton Blake on radio. He appeared in 5 movies in the thirties four of which survive and are easily available. He’s considered the actor that most looks like the Paget drawings of Holmes. The actress playing Mrs Hudson is called Minnie Rayner and I was recently outbid on her autograph. I’m trying to be sensible with money.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

This is Alan Napier, Alfred from Batman playing Holmes.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Mr Spock playing Holmes.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Charlton Heston as Holmes

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Christopher Lee as Holmes. He holds a record for the biggest gap of time between performances as Holmes. Around 30 years.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

And probably the worst Holmes ever.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X