Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New book - 'The Five' by Hallie Robenhold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Hello Paul,

You could be right of course. I’d have gone straight into ‘rottweiler’ mode.
    Yeah, my first reaction was similar to yours Herlock, but sometimes the zen approach is the right one.

It's easier if you're an old hippie.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Yeah, my first reaction was similar to yours Herlock, but sometimes the zen approach is the right one.

It's easier if you're an old hippie.
      I’m trying to train myself to a more chilled approach Barn. I slip into ‘attack mode’ too easily. It’s bloody annoying when you read some of the crap that she’s coming out with though. And all because of her blatant agenda and self importance.

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10

Its ok.....I’m fine

Another glass of Laphroaig methinks.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

The fact is that nobody has compared Hallie Rubenhold to David Irving, there is no justification for Rubenhold to say so, and Rubenhold, who has heard the podcast and read my review, must know that she's not telling the truth. But it makes for good copy and as long as the media doesn't bother checking the facts, she's safe from being called out.

Comment

There is nothing to stop HR writing a rejoinder to Ripperologist magazine. But of course, Ripperologist magazine doesn't have the circulation of the Guardian.

Comment

The concept of a conscience is obviously a foreign one to her. As is the concept of evidence.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I got HR's book for my kindle when it had just came out. I had a couple of other books on the go at the time and by the time I'd finished the other 2 books (and HR's book was next in line) I'd also read a lot of forum posts as well as listened to Jonathan's podcast on the book and was put off of reading it.
              As things stand now I still haven't read it as I'm sure I won't like it and it will just anger me. On the flip side I feel that as I haven't read the book I'm not in a position to comment on it. Not that I make many posts anyway.
              I wonder if Amazon refunds ebooks? Would I have to prove I haven't read it? Is that recorded somehow within the kindle? Actually, I think I did (virtually) open it. Maybe to look at the contents/chapter titles. I can't recall really.
              These are not clues, Fred.
              It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
              They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
              And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
              We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                I got HR's book for my kindle when it had just came out. I had a couple of other books on the go at the time and by the time I'd finished the other 2 books (and HR's book was next in line) I'd also read a lot of forum posts as well as listened to Jonathan's podcast on the book and was put off of reading it.
                As things stand now I still haven't read it as I'm sure I won't like it and it will just anger me. On the flip side I feel that as I haven't read the book I'm not in a position to comment on it. Not that I make many posts anyway.
                I wonder if Amazon refunds ebooks? Would I have to prove I haven't read it? Is that recorded somehow within the kindle? Actually, I think I did (virtually) open it. Maybe to look at the contents/chapter titles. I can't recall really.
                If you are reasonably familiar with the subject, I'd recommend reading the book, but remember not to throw it across your living room when it angers you - Kindle glass can be a pain to clear up and you'd have to replace the Kindle. Rubenhold's contextualisation of the victims' lives is good (assuming it's accurate, which we shouldn't assume to be the case) and it's well-written, reading like a novel. However, it should be treated with caution. If you're not reasonably familiar with the case, it's probably best to avoid the book as it can and will be misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                  The fact is that nobody has compared Hallie Rubenhold to David Irving, there is no justification for Rubenhold to say so, and Rubenhold, who has heard the podcast and read my review, must know that she's not telling the truth. But it makes for good copy and as long as the media doesn't bother checking the facts, she's safe from being called out.
                  Something I've noticed of late across many fields, not just our little corner of research, is the refusal to listen to differing opinions. It's particularly worrying from respected writers or academics. I don't know if it's because of social media or just that the medium makes it more obvious, but too often any attempt to engage or debate, no matter how well intentioned or politely expressed, is an 'attack', 'abuse' or 'trolling' and that becomes the narrative: the brave truth teller being attacked by an abusive hate mob. Surely it creates an environment that hinders progress and learning?

Comment

Originally posted by Purkis View Post

Something I've noticed of late across many fields, not just our little corner of research, is the refusal to listen to differing opinions. It's particularly worrying from respected writers or academics. I don't know if it's because of social media or just that the medium makes it more obvious, but too often any attempt to engage or debate, no matter how well intentioned or politely expressed, is an 'attack', 'abuse' or 'trolling' and that becomes the narrative: the brave truth teller being attacked by an abusive hate mob. Surely it creates an environment that hinders progress and learning?
                    It’s very noticeable and very worrying Paul. Even universities (here and in America) are being overrun by people trying to silence opinion that they don’t agree with even to the extent of getting speakers banned. Freedom of thought and speech will very soon become things of a past era unless some very large and unmovable stakes are hammered into the ground. We’ll be back to burning witches soon at this rate!

Rubenhold is a perfect example of someone with scant regard for historical truth. It’s all about promoting a chosen agenda and self-aggrandisement. Its about portraying herself as the brave voice of truth against the rigid establishment who are all misogynists or racists or who have some made up phobia. It’s transparently dishonest. It’s also pretty worrying.
                    Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 06-01-2019, 09:41 PM.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Well said Herlock.
                      'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

In George Orwell's '1984' Ingsoc was the ruling political party and machine that controlled ALL in the totalitarian state of Oceania. Oceania doesn't (yet) exist but we already have something that rivals it for abuse of power, the clamping down on civil liberties, the destruction of free speech (and soon enough freedom of thought), the gagging of opinion, the rise of misinformation and THE best tool for mass surveillance ever invented... The internet.

The internet is Oceania's most advanced telescreen.

And it's going to get much worse.
                        JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                        JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
                        ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                          I am reading it at the moment. It reads like a complete work of fiction, a bit like something written by Catherine Cookson. I think it would be pushing it, to call the book history as it is so full of 'we can imagine that' or 'we don't know for sure but'. To her credit she paints a vivid picture but in terms of accuracy I would compare it to a Jack the Ripper film made in the '70s' with Barbra Windsor playing Mary Kelly.

I can see why some people could be convinced by it. However even a quick two minutes on Wikipedia blows most it out of the water. As much as she may try, she cannot change the facts or reality (and my word, does she try!)

As for all this controversy, I think it best that she is ignored. It's all just a ploy to promote a second rate book that without the link to JTR would have ended up in the bargain bucket long ago. Please just don't give her the time, we are better than that! As for her credentials, if she is considered a historian then I am the Pope!
                          Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post

If you are reasonably familiar with the subject, I'd recommend reading the book, but remember not to throw it across your living room when it angers you - Kindle glass can be a pain to clear up and you'd have to replace the Kindle. Rubenhold's contextualisation of the victims' lives is good (assuming it's accurate, which we shouldn't assume to be the case) and it's well-written, reading like a novel. However, it should be treated with caution. If you're not reasonably familiar with the case, it's probably best to avoid the book as it can and will be misleading.
                            I have a lot of respect for Paul Begg and I've been following the Ripper case since the 1970s (Stephen Knight) but I just don't think I can bring myself to reading it.
                            Maybe I'll feel different in a year or two. Thing is I can usually find something else to read which I know I will probably prefer.
                            These are not clues, Fred.
                            It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                            They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                            And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                            We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Freedom of thought and speech will very soon become things of a past era unless some very large and unmovable stakes are hammered into the ground. We’ll be back to burning witches soon at this rate!
                              I think now, in the West at least, that we have more freedom of speech than ever, you can more or less say whatever you want. People may disagree with you, or choose not to give you a platform, but they're not denying your freedom of thought and speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Purkis View Post

I think now, in the West at least, that we have more freedom of speech than ever, you can more or less say whatever you want. People may disagree with you, or choose not to give you a platform, but they're not denying your freedom of thought and speech.
                                I’m not 100% sure about that Purkis. We know have people talking about the Orwellian concept of HateSpeach. We have people trying to impose blasphemy laws. We have students demonstrating against people they disagree with and then the universities giving in and banning speakers. We have people scared to speak openly and criticise for fear of retribution.

I think there are worrying signs all around.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X