Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New book - 'The Five' by Hallie Robenhold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I’m not 100% sure about that Purkis. We know have people talking about the Orwellian concept of HateSpeach. We have people trying to impose blasphemy laws. We have students demonstrating against people they disagree with and then the universities giving in and banning speakers. We have people scared to speak openly and criticise for fear of retribution.

I think there are worrying signs all around.
    Hallie Rubenhold has complained about the difficulty of removing unfavourable reviews from Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Losmandris View Post

I am reading it at the moment. It reads like a complete work of fiction, a bit like something written by Catherine Cookson. I think it would be pushing it, to call the book history as it is so full of 'we can imagine that' or 'we don't know for sure but'. To her credit she paints a vivid picture but in terms of accuracy I would compare it to a Jack the Ripper film made in the '70s' with Barbra Windsor playing Mary Kelly.

I can see why some people could be convinced by it. However even a quick two minutes on Wikipedia blows most it out of the water. As much as she may try, she cannot change the facts or reality (and my word, does she try!)

As for all this controversy, I think it best that she is ignored. It's all just a ploy to promote a second rate book that without the link to JTR would have ended up in the bargain bucket long ago. Please just don't give her the time, we are better than that! As for her credentials, if she is considered a historian then I am the Pope!
      Hi Losmandris

The movie was “A Study in Terror” and Barbara Windsor played Annie Chapman.
      Mary Kelly was played by the extremely talented Edina Ronay

Nice comments re the RH business.

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Hallie Rubenhold has complained about the difficulty of removing unfavourable reviews from Amazon.
        Hello Gary,

Really? Could you imagine if any writer had said that a few years ago? They’d have been front page news and a laughing stock. Now we’ve probably got people reading that saying - well it’s just not fair that this nice young woman has taken the time to write a book but all these horrible people are saying nasty things about it. Typical white supremacist, misogynistic, poorresearchophobic behaviour.

Another letter to the ThoughtPolice.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Here's a generally positive review of her book which Rubenhold seems not to have highlighted on her twitter thread. Perhaps it's because Prof Gray found the central argument unconvincing?

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Hello Gary,

Really? Could you imagine if any writer had said that a few years ago? They’d have been front page news and a laughing stock. Now we’ve probably got people reading that saying - well it’s just not fair that this nice young woman has taken the time to write a book but all these horrible people are saying nasty things about it. Typical white supremacist, misogynistic, poorresearchophobic behaviour.

Another letter to the ThoughtPolice.
            ‘fraid so, Michael:

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

‘fraid so, Michael:
              Unbelievable!

Hasnt anyone commented against this nonsense!
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Working...
              X