Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
    Limehouse:

I would not buy a Clarkson DVD if my life depended on it.

I off to get my head checked.

Well a Top Gear DVD wouldn't be a Clarkson DVD, would it? There are two other co-presenters and numerous guests and other segments.

I think that with that comment of yours....I rest my case.

Cheers,
    Adam.
    Or there is youtube. Top Gear specials in Vietnam, the North Pole etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
      But not without criticism, comment or even condemnation.

And certainly not without consequences
      Fair enough about the consequences. Us defenders of free speech must also allow the enemies of free speech to voice their opinions. I simply believe that such criticism of free speech is far more dangerous than anything Clarkson said. The Clarkson comments are now in the past. It is any future comments that are now important. I fear the BBC will now be less likely to air such comments. If that is so then the left have actually won.

Free speech shouldnt be just for "cuddly" progressives.
      Last edited by jason_c; 12-07-2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
        Fair enough about the consequences. Us defenders of free speech must also allow the enemies of free speech to voice their opinions. I simply believe that such criticism of free speech is far more dangerous than anything Clarkson said. The Clarkson comments are now in the past. It is any future comments that are now important. I fear the BBC will now be less likely to air such comments. If that is so then the left have actually won.

and julian assange? whats your position on him?

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
          and julian assange? whats your position on him?

Julian Assange I hate with a passion. But he's someone who should be allowed to publish the information he receives(hopefully with a redaction of named agents etc). I relished climategate so i'd be hypocritical if were to view Assange differently. I would also state that its not entirely clear if Assange conspired with Bradley Manning. If Assange simply received the information then he's innocent, if he conspired beforehand then he should face legal action.

This is different to the allegations hes currently fighting. None of us know if hes guilty or not. I'd also view Bradley Manning differently. He will have signed the US version of the Official Secrets Act.
          Last edited by jason_c; 12-07-2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post

You really have no idea about the range of people who complained about Clarkson's comments. One of them, a neighbour of mine, is an ex Tory councillor and fairly right wing. Others that I know of include Liberal (Old Liberal) councillors who are strong advocators of free speech.

I repeat, no is denying Clarkson's right to express his views but people have every right to oppose them and they may oppose them as strongly as they wish.

Here we have another example of double standards by those who pretend to stand up for free speech but would deny it to 'cuddly progressives'. What a stupid label. Boy some of these posters come from the bloody stone age.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
              You really have no idea about the range of people who complained about Clarkson's comments. One of them, a neighbour o f mine, is an ex Tory councillor and fairly right wing. Others that I know of include Liberal (Old Liberal) councillors who are strong advocators of free speech.

I repeat, no is denying Clarkson's right to express his views but people have every right to oppose them and they may oppose them as strongly as they wish.

Here we have another example of double standards by those who pretend to stand up for free speech but would deny it to 'cuddly progressives'. What a stupid label. Boy some of these posters come from the bloody stone age.
              When have I tried to deny people the right complain about Clarkson? Have I asked them to be imprisoned or sacked? No. I have attempted to point out their small mindedness (and yes, much of it politically motivated) and the possible consequences to free speech if these complaints are taken seriously.

Comment

Jason:

Those specials are fantastic, loved the one from the southern states of the USA. As for Vietnam, remember the motorbike painted in the colours and style of a US flag and which played Springsteen's "Born In The USA" over and over? Clarkson's comment was priceless....."If anybody watching doesn't understand why this is bad.....ask your parents."

Clarkson is just a big kid, really. We need more levity in the world.

Cheers,
                Adam.

Comment

Gosh you are such an out of time reactionary Jason....move with the times man!
                  nx

Comment

I applaud anybody who stands up to the mob, even if I agree with the protestors' political point of view.

Do I wish Clarkson, a brilliant and entertaining TV presenter, had been wittier and less violent in his rheoritcal jocularity?

For sure.

But that cuts both ways.

He did, after all, helpfully undermine his own 'bah, humbug' dissent by not finessing his ugly-toned remarks to avoid an expected backlash, which I think helps build sympathy for the economic victims of the new Tory regime, and if a Tory charmer like him wants to sound like an offensive, Medieval caricature of the ruling elite -- more power to him.

Comment

Jason:

Those specials are fantastic, loved the one from the southern states of the USA. As for Vietnam, remember the motorbike painted in the colours and style of a US flag and which played Springsteen's "Born In The USA" over and over? Clarkson's comment was priceless....."If anybody watching doesn't understand why this is bad.....ask your parents."

Clarkson is just a big kid, really. We need more levity in the world.

Cheers,
                      Adam.
                      I agree Adam. Top Gear is a modern British success story. Its watched by 350 million people worldwide per week. The 3 presenters have a unique style that helps make the show work. Clarkson and May being throwbacks in todays youth centred culture. The show has been copied in a number of countries, none of them particularly successful.

Im glad you mentioned Born in the USA. Clarkson is anti everything and everyone. He's equal opportunity in his dislikes(most of it being light hearted). I'll wait with baited breath any backlash against Clarkson's anti American comments. Clarkson, like the Queen, is a modern British institution.

Natalie, im libertarian right, not reactionary.

Comment

Jonathan:

Well said.

Jason:

Yup, you're spot on. There's been an Australian version of Top Gear as well....not sure what it's status is at the moment but IMO no version compares to the British one.

Clarkson himself has claimed countless times over the years that he doesn't understand why anybody would take his opinions seriously anyway, regarding cars or otherwise. He's written numerous books (of the "The World According To Clarkson" variety) which satirise anything and everything.

He's been in trouble many times over the years for his comments and in all likelihood the apologies that have been thrown out afterwards are mere tokens until the storm blows over, and he'll be back at it again.

Look, sometimes people such as himself can take things a bit too far, but the world would be a boring place if we were all perfect angels....

Cheers,
                        Adam.

Comment

Here's a clip from BBC radio of Christopher Hitchens defending Leon Trotsky(the killer of thousands upon thousands of Soviet citizens). Thank goodness none of the delicate souls on here listened or complained of the broadcast. Would anyone have liked Hitchens to be banned from the BBC? or a forced apology from him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD54qnI_Mhc

Comment

Hi Jason,

I have no quarrel with your argument but, as this is a Jeremy Clarkson thread, should we be not be more concerned with which car Leon Trotsky may have driven?

Were he alive today, could he have chosen this—

Regards,

Simon
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Also not directly Clarkson related, but did anybody else hear Ricky Gervais's comments on stupid people taking offence to stupid things recently? Basically he just said it was part and parcel of it and you just ignored it as much as possible.....also well said.

Cheers,
                              Adam.

Comment

Also not directly Clarkson related, but did anybody else hear Ricky Gervais's comments on stupid people taking offence to stupid things recently? Basically he just said it was part and parcel of it and you just ignored it as much as possible.....also well said.

Cheers,
                                Adam.
                                I agree with his sentiments. Ignoring these complaints helps ensure a place in public life for individuals who arent constrained by those who shout the loudest or mob-think.

Comment

Working...
                                X