Jeremy Clarkson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
    Since when did the wrath of the populace mean anything to you? Would you be quoting these figures if the same amount of people endorsed the death penalty? banning homosexuality? migration reform?

Free speech should not be curtailed by the mob or professional complainers.

and would you be quite happy to have allowed someone to go on that show and speak about Queen Elizabeth ,for example ,in exactly the way Clarkson insulted those people taking union action - or your mother or father or a member of your family?

ps
    re Jeremy Clarkson and his Top Gear show-Norway's mass killer Breivik praises
    him and his show.
    Last edited by Natalie Severn; 12-05-2011, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
      him and his show.
      Hello Norma,

Most of the great majority of the Norwegian population don't really care, not listen to, Anders Breivik's comments on anything.
      The man is best ignored.. because his statements are his methodology of gaining a podium.

The reaction of the Norwegians afterwards told the world.. it's outrageous, it's unacceptable and it is best not given attention to above the fact that it was done and the mourning should be highlighted. After that, whether he is judged to be a legally unbalanced man, megalomaniac or psychopath... nobody cares. JKust keep him away from the society we live in. Forever.

Thats the attitude of the population. So what he thinks about King Kong and peanuts and egg on toast... doesnt matter. Clarkson included.

Hope you are well!

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

thanx for your reply dear Phil.Quite right.Lovely to hear from you and glad you are keeping well xxx

Comment

and would you be quite happy to have allowed someone to go on that show and speak about Queen Elizabeth ,for example ,in exactly the way Clarkson insulted those people taking union action - or your mother or father or a member of your family?

ps
          him and his show

The highlighted part of your post is interesting. Its not enough to simply criticize Clarkson but you feel a need to blacken him by linking him to a crazed/political serial killer.

I hope i'd be fairly unaffected if someone made such remarks about the Queen. She's a public figure after all.
          Last edited by jason_c; 12-05-2011, 03:29 AM.

Comment

At risk of sounding sexist or ageist, it would be interesting to know what demographic the majority of those who objected to Clarkson's comments fit into. I'd be willing to bet that, aside from the public sector workers, the vast majority would be older people who try and take the moral high ground. Oh the irony that those who headed the movement for equal rights and freedom of speech in decades gone by are now almost invariably the same ones who wish to stop people from having their basic rights of free speech!

After all, that's what it was, and all it was. Clarkson gets paid to give his opinion, he got asked his opinion, he gave his opinion - again, anybody who has watched anything of the man over the years knows full well that he is not one to hide his true views behind a layer of empty platitudes. There's enough of that goes on as it is.

Cheers,
            Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
              At risk of sounding sexist or ageist, it would be interesting to know what demographic the majority of those who objected to Clarkson's comments fit into. I'd be willing to bet that, aside from the public sector workers, the vast majority would be older people who try and take the moral high ground. Oh the irony that those who headed the movement for equal rights and freedom of speech in decades gone by are now almost invariably the same ones who wish to stop people from having their basic rights of free speech!

After all, that's what it was, and all it was. Clarkson gets paid to give his opinion, he got asked his opinion, he gave his opinion - again, anybody who has watched anything of the man over the years knows full well that he is not one to hide his true views behind a layer of empty platitudes. There's enough of that goes on as it is.

Cheers,
              Adam.
              People who campaigned for equal rights did not do so in order that people like Clarkson could be pubically offensive and insensitive.

With freedom of speech comes responsibility, particularly if what you are saying is broadcast to millions. In any case, few people are denying Clarkson's right to say what he did, they are just exercising their right of reply.

The BBC is irresponsible in this matter, just as they were over Ross and brand, because they knew what each of these idiots was going to say and do in advance and just went ahead and allowed it.

Comment

Oh do stop talking rubbish.
                Do you know how much the BBC pays Jeremy Clarkson for being 'outrageous?
                Did you know the 'outburst' was actually carefully rehearsed?

Did you know he is one of Cameron's best pals?

21,000 people found his views so offensive they emailed to the BBC to object.
                Precisely, Norma, Clarkson knew he was going to be asked that question so had plenty of time to think of a reply. And there he sat with a big, fat public sector salary and no chance of seeing any real harship in his old age and he insulted thousands of people who have literally died in front of their families for being trade union members. For what? Freedom of speech? For a 'joke'?
                You are so right - a horrible man.

Julie

Comment

I'm not aware of anyone having posted this yet, so here is the full item :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

him and his show.
                    Are you serious? Are you actually saying these words and meaning them? Without any irony at all? I would laugh at this, but the fact that you are linking these two is actually worrying - such a flaw in logic is beyond words, just simply amazing. Dear God almighty, you really need to think about what you are saying before you say it - perhaps you should get someone to read through your posts before putting them up.
                    Hitler loved Wagner, so Wagner is deserving of our hatred. Mmmm, makes perfect sense to me.
                    Last edited by DrHopper; 12-05-2011, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                      People who campaigned for equal rights did not do so in order that people like Clarkson could be pubically offensive and insensitive.
                      Actually yes, yes they did. That is precisely what freedom of speech is. To be able to speak freely without hindrance or censorship.
                      By trying to make it something else you are showing that you are a typical liberal thinker - you can have freedom of speech as long as it does not offend me or my ideals and does not stray too far from my own worldview. Anything else and I shall try and stop it, or I shall label you in way that invalidates your argument (i.e. rascist, sexist, fattist, fascist, etc., etc.). T'was ever thus. So deeply worrying for intellectual and expressive freedom, and one of the single biggest threats to western philosophy and thought - open and frank discussion cannot exist in a world where Clarkson's comments have come under such vehement and sustained attack. Whatever you think of Clarkson (and I personally think the man is a boorish loudmouth who can, on occasion, be very funny), this is the important issue.

Comment

Originally posted by DrHopper View Post
                        Actually yes, yes they did. That is precisely what freedom of speech is. To be able to speak freely without hindrance or censorship.
                        By trying to make it something else you are showing that you are a typical liberal thinker - you can have freedom of speech as long as it does not offend me or my ideals and does not stray too far from my own worldview. Anything else and I shall try and stop it, or I shall label you in way that invalidates your argument (i.e. rascist, sexist, fattist, fascist, etc., etc.). T'was ever thus. So deeply worrying for intellectual and expressive freedom, and one of the single biggest threats to western philosophy and thought - open and frank discussion cannot exist in a world where Clarkson's comments have come under such vehement and sustained attack. Whatever you think of Clarkson (and I personally think the man is a boorish loudmouth who can, on occasion, be very funny), this is the important issue.
                        Read my post again. I wrote: People who campaigned for equal rights did not do so in order that people like Clarkson could be pubically offensive and insensitive.

I wrote that comment in response to Adam's comments. He linked freedom of speech and equal rights. I think they are quite separate isues and my response was addressing equal rights.

The fact that we are all expressing our views abouth this issue, in a reasonably civilised way goes to show that freedom of speech is not being curtailed. Clarkson was exercising his right to freedom of speech and yet you state that his comments came under 'vehement abd sustained attack' from those who were simply doing the same - objecting to his comments.

You then go on to break your own rules my friend. You then to go on to complain that people are labelled 'racists, sexist, fattist' etc and yet you feel free to label me a 'typical liberal thinker' .

You want frank and open discussion? You are getting it! Clarkson wanted to express his views (joking or not) and he did so - frank and open discussion followed and continues.

Comment

Typical liberal thinker is not a label, merely a description; I do not call you that to insult you, only to point out the origin and meaning of your thought. Surely you, as a liberal thinker, would not consider the term "typical liberal thinker" to be an insult or a negative comment? Whereas we can scarcely say the same thing about the term "racist" or "sexist". They are, in a liberal dominated society, a way of closing down discussion in much the same way as "anti-semite" is the label used for anyone who dares to criticise Israeli foreign or domestic policy - you do so in public at your peril.
                          As for curtailing free speech, well 21,000 people calling for the resignation of Jeremy Clarkson would disagree with you.
                          You are quite correct in showing that I misread your post re: equal rights. My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by DrHopper View Post
                            Typical liberal thinker is not a label, merely a description; I do not call you that to insult you, only to point out the origin and meaning of your thought. Surely you, as a liberal thinker, would not consider the term "typical liberal thinker" to be an insult or a negative comment? Whereas we can scarcely say the same thing about the term "racist" or "sexist". They are, in a liberal dominated society, a way of closing down discussion in much the same way as "anti-semite" is the label used for anyone who dares to criticise Israeli foreign or domestic policy - you do so in public at your peril.
                            As for curtailing free speech, well 21,000 people calling for the resignation of Jeremy Clarkson would disagree with you.
                            You are quite correct in showing that I misread your post re: equal rights. My apologies.
                            But you don't even know me! How can you 'describe' me as a liberal thinker when you know nothing about me! You are even telling me what I am - using terms such as 'you, as a liberal thinker' - when I would certainly not call myself a liberal thinker.

21,000 people complained to the BBC - I am not so sure all of them were calling for his resignation - they objected to his terminology, certainly, and they have a right to do so. It seems to me that you wish Clarkson to have the right of freedom of speech and no one can object to his comments because freedom of speech means you can offend anyone and they just have to shut up and take it.

Thanks for the aoplogies re equal rights. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                              But you don't even know me! How can you 'describe' me as a liberal thinker when you know nothing about me! You are even telling me what I am - using terms such as 'you, as a liberal thinker' - when I would certainly not call myself a liberal thinker.

21,000 people complained to the BBC - I am not so sure all of them were calling for his resignation - they objected to his terminology, certainly, and they have a right to do so. It seems to me that you wish Clarkson to have the right of freedom of speech and no one can object to his comments because freedom of speech means you can offend anyone and they just have to shut up and take it.

Thanks for the aoplogies re equal rights. Much appreciated.
                              How do you feel about Unison calling for Clarkson to be sacked?

http://www.unison.org.uk/asppresspac...ew.asp?id=2544

btw well said DrHopper, the linking of Clarkson and Anders Breivik is pathetic.

Comment

Clarkson is a vile man......little englander.......dislike him with a passion....gobshite and should be taken outside of his house and man fondled in front of his wife and kids

Comment

Working...
                                X