Single Malt Forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Malt Forever

A thread for anything about single malt whiskies. Any connoisseur around ? Have you ever visited a distillery ? What's your favorite single malt ? Speyside or Islay ? etc etc

Originally posted by DVV View Post
    A thread for anything about single malt whiskies. Any connoisseur around ? Have you ever visited a distillery ? What's your favorite single malt ? Speyside or Islay ? etc etc
    Famous grouse, not such a luxurious whisky but I love the single malt version

Comment

Highland Park 20, The Macallan 20, Balvenie doublewood 12, Bushmill's 16 (Irish, but like silk), and one of the best: Suntory. The Japanese can do it all.

Mike

PS. I only drink maybe a dram a year, and hated whisky until I tried the Bushmills. Now, a nice ounce of any of the above, neat, and I am kind of happy.
      huh?

Comment

Oh and I've been to Cardhu, Glen Grant, and Highland Park, Distilleries are useless because they give you a wee dram of unpalatable stuff. That;s why I hated whisky (and Scotch) before I struck out on my own. If you want to try something, don't go to a distillery, especially in Scotland because the Scots aren't giving anything away.

Mike
        huh?

Comment

Highland Park 20 is a cask strength I think...I've just ordered a Highland Park 19 years (1991), although I enjoy peated malts (Ardbeg, Talisker).

Here are the single malts available in my bar (for the time being, and hoping I can buy more and more). Mostly 10 years, for it's not easy to sell very expensive ones :

Bowmore
          Arran
          Laphroaig 10
          Aberlour sherry cask
          Jura 10
          Connemara (Irish single malt, very peated)
          Talisker 10
          Tobermory 10
          Glenlivet 15 French Oak
          Ardbeg 10
          Benriach 12 arumaticus fumosus (Jamaican rum cask)
          Scapa 16
          Bruichladdich Laddie classic
          Caol Ila cask strength
          Highland Park 1991 (soon)

I need more Speyside, and like to have some from the lowlands, highlands and Campbeltown, but I know nothing about those. Any advice welcome.

I've noted the Irish one, Mike, cheers.

Never tried any Japanese malt.

Hello Sister, savais pas que famous grouse faisait du single malt....t'es sûre de ton coup ?

All the best

Comment

I only drink maybe a dram a year
            Oh dear....

a nice ounce of any of the above, neat, and I am kind of happy.
            Yes, that is it.

Comment

Salut David, ayant dépensé des sommes considérables en famous grouse single malt pour faire plaisir à mon suèdois d'ex mari, oui je suis sûre de mon coup (entre nous moi le whisky c'est vraiment de temps en temps je suis plutot bédot, mais celui là je m'en souviens que trop bien, la seule fois ou je me suis mis une mine lamentable, c'était en sifflant les 3 quarts d'une bouteille)

Comment

pour info la seule version single malt chez eux c'est la 12 ans d'âge, tous les autres sont "blended"

Comment

Originally posted by Sister Hyde View Post
                  pour info la seule version single malt chez eux c'est la 12 ans d'âge, tous les autres sont "blended"
                  Hello Sister, le Famous Grouse 12 ans est un "vatted malt", pas un single malt. C'est un assemblage de divers malts (= "pur malt" selon l'ancienne appellation).

Comment

Laphroaig is my favorite, it's the Single I always come back to, no matter how much other stuff I try. I love its peaty nose, the slow development of complex (and quite lasting) aromes, it also goes extraordinarily well with my good old Caporal Gris pipe tobacco or certain Dutch-type cigars.
                    ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                      Hello Sister, le Famous Grouse 12 ans est un "vatted malt", pas un single malt. C'est un assemblage de divers malts (= "pur malt" selon l'ancienne appellation).
                      Je vais te faire confiance là-dessus, l'alcool ça n'a jamais été ma spécialité

Comment

Scottish charity

Hello Michael.

"If you want to try something, don't go to a distillery, especially in Scotland because the Scots aren't giving anything away."

Hmm, I hope that this is no recent discovery (heh-heh).

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Lynn,

I've been to Scotland three times and I love it there, however, I have never had a Scot buy me a beer, though I've bought many rounds. Neither have I seen a Scot leave a tip, though I'm sure some do. A funny story: I met a Canadian who ran a caravan park somewhere near Speyside for two years. He said it was great and the Scots he'd met were nice. I asked him if any of his customers ever bought him a beer or gave him anything for his service to them. He thought about it and said, "come to think of it, not one of them had ever given me anything."

I would love to be proved wrong.

Mike
                          huh?

Comment

method to the madness

Hello Michael.

"I've been to Scotland three times and I love it there, however, I have never had a Scot buy me a beer, though I've bought many rounds. Neither have I seen a Scot leave a tip, though I'm sure some do.''

Whence the certainty? (heh-heh)

"A funny story: I met a Canadian who ran a caravan park somewhere near Speyside for two years. He said it was great and the Scots he'd met were nice. I asked him if any of his customers ever bought him a beer or gave him anything for his service to them. He thought about it and said, "come to think of it, not one of them had ever given me anything.""

Is this surprising? Have you never wondered why so many banks have the name Scotland attached? Well, who holds onto money any better than a Scotsman? (heh-heh)

Run into me sometime and I just might buy you a pint of bitter. That will shake up the stereotype.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Originally posted by bolo View Post
                              Laphroaig is my favorite, it's the Single I always come back to, no matter how much other stuff I try. I love its peaty nose, the slow development of complex (and quite lasting) aromes, it also goes extraordinarily well with my good old Caporal Gris pipe tobacco or certain Dutch-type cigars.
                              Hi Bolo, you're a man of taste....I love Laphroaig - although my fav would be Ardbeg 10.

Comment

Working...
                              X