Jeremy Beadle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeremy Beadle

I went into my local Poundshop (they're all over Britain) and found a pile of paperbacks entitled "Jeremy Beadles Miscellany" a quiz book.

Reading the fiendish questions was just like talking to him again - well worth a pound any day of the week!

Really. I can't get to the local Poundshop today, but come Monday... We dedicated the A to Z to Jeremy and he's sorely missed.

Comment

Paul,

he's sorely missed.

Indeed, Jeremy was inimitable and irreplaceable -- a great man and I am truly happy I was able to appear with him. There is no nearby Poundstore across the ocean, but the book sounds a great deal.

Don.
      "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

My Mum bought me a copy last Christmas.

If I recall rightly Don, Jeremy was promoting this book during the 2007 conference wasn't he?

Infact, wasn't it amongst the raffle prizes. A kind donation and nothing short of a fine example of the man.

I also recall his introduction to my talk.

Jeremy -Ladies and Gentleman....the Bastard from Leicester.

Me - Thank you Matthew Kelly.

Great man who had time for all. Missed by all.

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I never met Jeremy Beadle but from what I've read he seems to have been a thoroughly good egg. Nick Warren has suggested that he (Beadle) may have written the Maybrick Journal. I hope he did and I hope he's having a good laugh from the grave about it.

Best wishes,
          Steve.

Comment

Jeremy

I first met Jeremy in Camille Wolff's bedroom at Portobello Road in the early 1990s! I instantly recognised him as a kindred spirit.

Until I met Jeremy I had mixed feelings about him based merely on his television programmes. On meeting him I found him to be a true gentleman, knowledgeable, fun to be with and he untiringly supported me with my work over subsequent years. He became a true friend and I miss him very much.
            SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

I think you ought to elaborate on your recognition of a kindred spirit in a lady's bedroom! :-) Portobello Road: that brings back good memories. I also first met Jeremy there and he was very self-effacing and not at all like his TV persona. In fact, once when I was with him en-route to him opening my village fete - talk about how generous he was! - he was on the phone talking about "Jeremy Beadle" like he was someone else, which, of course in one sense he was. And at Wilf Greg's garden parties... We're getting too old, Stewart; old men reminiscing about the past and dear friends who are no longer with us. That's a depressing thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                My Mum bought me a copy last Christmas.

If I recall rightly Don, Jeremy was promoting this book during the 2007 conference wasn't he?

Infact, wasn't it amongst the raffle prizes. A kind donation and nothing short of a fine example of the man.

I also recall his introduction to my talk.

Jeremy -Ladies and Gentleman....the Bastard from Leicester.

Me - Thank you Matthew Kelly.

Great man who had time for all. Missed by all.

Monty
                Oddly enough, my wife was a good friend of Mathew - who she refers to as David (his real name) - when they were at drama college, but that was back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the Earth...

Ouch!

Comment

Crime Books

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                  I think you ought to elaborate on your recognition of a kindred spirit in a lady's bedroom! :-) Portobello Road: that brings back good memories. I also first met Jeremy there and he was very self-effacing and not at all like his TV persona. In fact, once when I was with him en-route to him opening my village fete - talk about how generous he was! - he was on the phone talking about "Jeremy Beadle" like he was someone else, which, of course in one sense he was. And at Wilf Greg's garden parties... We're getting too old, Stewart; old men reminiscing about the past and dear friends who are no longer with us. That's a depressing thought.
                  As we, but perhaps not some others, know Camille Wolff had so many secondhand crime books for sale that the stock spilled over into her bedroom - and even the toilet! It was in the bedroom, browsing amongst the books, that I found Jeremy, casually attired in a tracksuit.

Yes, we are old, we do reminisce, and we do remember friends who have now passed away. I feel lucky to have entered the field of crime book collecting at a time when the 'Golden age' hadn't quite passed and I met many stalwarts of the genre, such as Wilf, to whom I was introduced by Cam and Loretta. I first met Cam and Loretta in Cam's Chelsea house in the 1980s and I owe them both a lot for the enhancement of my collection. Indeed, it was Cam who put me onto the Littlecild letter.
                  SPE

Comment

Dinosaurs roamed...

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                    Oddly enough, my wife was a good friend of Mathew - who she refers to as David (his real name) - when they were at drama college, but that was back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the Earth...
                    Ouch!
                    I'm sure that Judy wouldn't agree that she was around 'when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.' Hang on, wait a minute, we're dinosaurs, aren't we?
                    SPE

Comment

Yes, Judy would disagree, which is why I said "ouch!", but I guess we are dinosaurs. Cam and Loretta, Wilf... Happy days. I wish we could do them again somewhere, but I guess the world has moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                        Paul,

he's sorely missed.

Indeed, Jeremy was inimitable and irreplaceable -- a great man and I am truly happy I was able to appear with him. There is no nearby Poundstore across the ocean, but the book sounds a great deal.

Don.
                        If it's in my Poundland I'll get a copy for you if you'd like.
                        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                          I'm sure that Judy wouldn't agree that she was around 'when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.' Hang on, wait a minute, we're dinosaurs, aren't we?
                          I can't believe you and Paul are decribing yourselves in such a way.

I see you both more as the Tony Bennetts of the field. Sophisticated, knowledgeable, young looking and still can hit the notes spot on.

Monty

PS The cheque should be made payable to.....
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I see you both more as the Tony Bennetts of the field. Sophisticated, knowledgeable, young looking and still can hit the notes spot on.

Monty

Well, of course what you say is true and I can tell you felt embarrassed to say that which is why you withheld the other superlatives.

The cheque's in the post.

Comment

I realise...

Monty

I realise that you must be an incurable fan of ours and I shall take a while basking in your very complimentary words (You're not taking the wee wee are you?). Sorry there's no cheque, my pocket money for this month has already run out.
                              SPE

Comment

Working...
                              X